Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

We're going there this week and I'm interested in others' impressions. I like hot tub loafing and relaxing, don't have much use for a bunch of spa treatments or pampering (wife is another story). Wife and I want to climb Beacon Rock and see the old site of Fort Cascades. We're generally familiar with the region's better known attractions (Hood River sailboarding, Goldendale Observatory, Maryhill, Bridge of the Gods) but if there's any place really cool nearby to go see (as if the Gorge itself isn't stunning enough) we'd be interested in ideas.

Heck, I was a kid when North Bonneville was completely relocated. Never actually stopped there since in all these years, just viewed it from the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The spa and hot tub is good at Bonneville and hugely popular with eastern Europeans from Portland area. I use it for 'Day use' during the off season. It is set back off the road and not a 'view' property like Skamania Lodge (which I go to enjoy the view / library / fireplace). Often go go to both places the same day. Have heard the lunch menu is good at Bonneville HS, but I do Stevenson eateries for supper. (The Fish House on the water front was decent last I tried, ~ 5 yrs ago)

Walking Man Brewery is supposedly one of the best in PNW (along the tracks across street from fire / ambulance station) I like the Salmon Chowder at Big River Grill, others like the mex food (which you probably have better in tri-cities)

The setting of the outdoor hot tubs is desirable at Skamania Lodge, but they don't have 'hot springs' (which is something I frequent.) Enjoy relaxing in the multi story lobbies of each (Bonneville and Skamania). There are many private 'public' areas to enjoy at Bonneville. It is great when they are having winter concerts in the lower lobby.

If you are into more vistas, consider the new Cape Horn Trail Cape Horn Loop Hike (that is where I live). For the shorter version of the hike, you can park and hike north from the upper crossing of SR 14 and see the view, then return, and get in your car and drive down the Cape Horn Landing Road. The whole loop is nice too.

If it is really hot (predicted) Do some waterfall hikes on the OR side, just go across to Cascade Locks and west on I-84 till you get to Historic Highway (Bonneville Dam exit), then on west toward Multnomah Falls (Horsetail Falls is a nice short hike). The Gardens at the Bonneville Hatchery (OR Side) are very nice, and there shouldbe a couple 7' sturgeon there.

Bring your credit card, as the Pendleton Store in Washougal, WA is having a pretty big sale. (bigger than usual as some of their factory store storage is being demolished)

Also bring a cooler and take home a few Steelhead, the NA's are selling them just east of Bonneville Dam. I usually pay $3/# or nearby.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-14-2009 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Most helpful reply, SR; will print and take it along. Wish I could rep you again. It helps that I'm familiar with the Native fish trade, having lived some years not far from there and gone to school with kids who are probably the ones catching the fish now. I'd definitely drop some cash on some salmon smoked in the local style, just like my mom used to buy from them. Are they Yakamas?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 PM

Thought I would follow up. We didn't get around to trading with the Indians but we did try the salmon chowder at Big River. I liked Walking Man IPA enough to have it two different nights.

The hike up Beacon Rock was a bit arduous but enjoyable and well worthwhile. The one up to Hardie Falls didn't do much for us; I mean, it was a pleasant hike for its own sake, but if there was something stunning at the top we must have missed it. Liked the resort overall, especially having a hot tub to climb into after a long hike and shower, and will remember it well. Thanks again for helping us figure our way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington