Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times

Advertisements

I was one day too early, but not wrong about the content. Today, one of those former split school students wrote a Letter to the Editor. The author was disappointed the bond hadn't passed. He did identify himself as having gone to the split sessions. Otherwise, his only message to parents was: It is little money to make sure your children are comfortable and safe. No one learns when it is too crowded.

He not only called the grandparents out saying how "everyone loved split school," he called out parents for not investing in their children.

Yesterday was the first day of school. District #93 said they had 2.5% more students enrolled than they did last year at this time. Yesterday, 11,546 students started school in D # 93. Last year it was 11,270.

I read an interesting news brief last week that said Ada and West Ada Districts were down this year for the second year in a row. Locals attribute it to less in the K and First grades, stating parents held off expanding their families as we went into the great recession. I can buy that for this year and last, but not much longer as kiddos have to be five years old for Kindergarden. Those would be 2010 babies.

Meanwhile, District # 93 had about 80 more in Kindergarden than before. I won't even dignify remarks that some LDS and some Catholics have large families. That is a factual statement for any state. Rather, I say look at the census data and how the median isn't getting any older. Look at the housing units compared to 2013. Look at the > 110,000 residents in Bonneville County in July 2015. They live somewhere besides I.F.

The Dist. #93 Board meets tonight to decide if they put a new high school on the Nov. ballot. Already, the estimated building costs are between one to two million more than they were in the spring.

Perhaps some parents built new houses and learned the costs.........

Perhaps some stopped listening to the two ring leaders in Ucon, who are retired.

Perhaps, when looking at the split session times, the parents of current students realized the district isn't joking. The need is real.

11,546 started school yesterday. There are easily dozens of smaller homes and Twin Homes that should be finished by Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM

The news said Bonnevilly D# 93 IS going to put the new High School on the ballot in Nov.

I'll see if I can get a video of Dr. Shackett's comment, don't ask me this answer I wasn't listening closely enough. At the meeting today they were running numbers. Given what has increased in building costs, it will now cost less if they add a football field and auditorium vs. a high school without them.

The District meets in a week to decide if the football field and auditorium will be added.

For a $100,000 home, the cost is > $4.00 per year. A $200,000 house will pay > $8.00.

How can this be a problem for anyone in a house? Skip a Starbucks Coffee twice a year and it's covered.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 PM

If this doesn't explain the math, it's easy.

1. Increase in property valuation and more housing units. The PR article today confirmed that more houses are selling quicker, some price ranges have few available and people who don't have financing etc. for a house ready to go prior to shopping have lost the homes they wanted to buy. Net result, houses are valued at 4.2% more.

2. It appears so far this year there is more growth than I posted yesterday.

District 93 announces plans for another bond to build new high school | News - Home

P.S. Want to blow your mind (legally)? Check the Median age in Iona and Ammon. Shoot, they need more than one new high school given the ages, plus unincorporated 8B.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Default Great Idea! New option for Elementary Kids After School

This could be too pricey for some, or it may give parents to finish their work, not worry about Daycare for their kids and actually enjoy the time they have together in the evening. I'll be interested to hear what parents think....

New day care option for grade school parents | News - Home

Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 PM

This is a discussion two school board members had with a tv anchor. i hope this shows the reporter's commenting from the meeting with parents. What is priceless in Chelsea Brentzel's story is her invitation at the front door of one of the major ring leaders of the organized opposìtion. It was none other than H.S. a former conservative talk show host, with her sister, who had to give up the show given all she said that apparently was not factually true. At least that is what I was told about the show...I could be wrong.

But I'm not wrong about her miscalculations and how many she encouraged to just vote NO so Administration would have to be accountable to the no voters. For someone with so much to say, it's interesting to see her decline an interview on camera

The school board is finally united. Compromises were made so every member feels good about this bond.
They also talk about the fact this is the fourth attempt to get this passed. A revision of split sessions will start next year. They will be going to a Trimester system. I know zero about it except enough people didn't like split sessions and never want to see that happen the same way. Families can't have much of a life if some kids start school at 5:30 a.m. and some end at 9:00 p.m.

Please post what you think of the interview and the fact no one from the opposition would come on live or give an interview on tape.

New high school for District 93 will be on November ballot | News - Home

I think Dr. Chuck Shackett is a straight shooter. I do not think he has lied. However, in talking to voters myself last week and even some of the questions they asked from Facebook posts, there is an education issue. Some voters do not understand bonds are for buildings only, not salaries. Some don't understand a school budget is not like a family or personnel budget. Money can not be *saved* from one year to the next. There are other basic questions. I think Administration would do well to put some YouTube vids explaining the basics. One person asked how come someone didn't stop all those building new houses...a lot of confusion from newer school district residents.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:31 PM

Voting on Tuesday. Get an absentee ballot if needed.

November 3rd Bond Election - Home

Good Luck D#93

Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM

168 posts, read 174,706 times
I do not understand the aversion to this much needed high school.
My wife and I are retired, and have no vested interest in the school, other than the benefits to the community of well educated young adults.
We have voted yes in all previous ballots, and will do so again next week. Children deserve uncrowded and well equipped learning environments if we expect them to succeed and to become the leaders for the next generation.
A few dollars a month is really an insignificant amount in the grand scheme of things, and I can't believe that our neighbors, many of whom have way too many children who they expect the public schools to educate, haven't voted this in previously.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 PM

385 posts, read 527,121 times
^ totally agree. I have no kids, but I'm still voting in favor of the bond. I view this as a sound investment for our community

Old 10-26-2015, 10:01 PM

I don't know all the subgroups voting against the bond. I've read something like two high schools in Idaho have voted FOR new high schools, without multiple bonds, but every other district has had to go through multiple elections. It's that ding done super-majority rule. I think the Legislature should revise the Super majority Rule.

This is the Facebook link of the "Vote No" group. Maybe someone knows some who *liked* the posts and ask them.... My brain can't comprehend voting no.

https://m.facebook.com/VoteNoD93Bond

I've posted all the reasons I've heard people say they are voting "No."

What I really dislike about the Super majority rule, is it isn't reflective of the majority. More people are suppose to be on board this time, but one never knows. The school board rep who alone could account for the extra No votes last time is on board.

Someone recently wrote a letter to the Editor stating this was unnecessary given all the empty classrooms Maybe some don't realize the trailers are serving as classrooms. I have no idea how anyone in D 93 that has talked with students/parents or can do the math votes No. Maybe Bonneville and Hillcrest need to give tours and adults voting no, can see firsthand, if they can make it down the crowd hallways.

Feel free to read my earlier posts. I have no new ideas and hope the parents with young children will bother to vote. As the original organizers said, 25% won't show to any election. They only had to find eight % to vote No and have blocked the bond with stopping the Super majority passage.

To quote Eric Isom again, "If a district isn't moving forward they are moving backward."

I hope Ret InAmmon and tmp4 and everyone else reminds all you know to vote, especially if they want to vote YES

Old 11-01-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Private School Parents?

Today I had a new thought about where the extra 8% of *no* voters comes from. Parents who are paying anywhere from $250/month for Daycare and $300- $500/month /student for private school may be voting no. I believe Montessori can be between $6K - 10K annually, depending on which one and the age of the child (ren).

Watersprings offers everything from Daycare through 12th grade. Prices vary depending on the age of a child or children enrolled. Additionally, Watersprings is building a Gym and asking each family to donate $50.00/month.

Those costs can be expensive for parents who don't plan to use public school. Watersprings, excluding Daycare has about 450 students. I'm certain some live in D#93.

I believe parents should educate their children as they feel is correct and afford. I've also read what a high growth district in another state did: added a value tax on new homes in the District Boundaries.

Ultimately, I think that Supermajority rule needs to be changed for school bonds.

What do you think? Could this group account for many no votes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls