Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,248,302 times

Advertisements

A few years ago in Fountain Valley, California, a Hundayi/Kia executive killed another driver in a DUI. The company got him on a plane the next morning back to Korea. He was sent back 3 or so years later to face his punishment.
"A fugitive who fled to South Korea following a 2005 crash that resulted in the death of a motorcyclist will be extradited to Orange County to face felony charges. Youn Bum Lee, 41, was arrested last December by South Korean officials on a warrant issued for the death of motorcyclist Ryan Dallas Cook. The US Justice Department and the FBI had been searching for Lee since the warrant was issued in 2007." This tells me to not buy their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM

232 posts, read 633,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement.

A 2004 Kia Spectra that's never had any issues...diligent maintenance (although not at their service center)...the car seems to be running ok. I took it in because my engine light came on and I need to pass emissions. I was told I had sludge in my engine and they will need to replace it. I was like, "Whoaa???"...The guy told me if I could provide documentation of my last six oil changes, I would most likely get them to cover it. I did that. No go. I needed to provide ALL of them since I bought the car in 2004.

Think it's pretty common practice for any manufacturer to require proof of oil changes. If you do them yourself, proof is usually a statement that you did the change, the odometer reading and reciepts for fluids/filters. Read your owners manual, should spell it out for you. I have a binder that I track all maintenance

Amazon.com: Auto Record Book, 3 3/4" x 6 1/8", Black, AAG8013505: Office Products

, as well as a pocket in the back of the binder where I print out a statement with dates, milage and what I did along with the reciept for all parts and fluids used stapled to it. Also track fuel ups and MPG.

Quote:
How does an engine get to that point when proper maintenance has been done? Only 41,000 miles?
They are probably thinking that as well and I think they are perfectly within reason to require proof that proper maintenance was done. Plenty of people out there that will drive for years and 100000s of miles without an oil change until something starts going wrong. Depending on the oil change interval they require, a record of the last 6 oil changes might be all you need. One of my cars requires oil changes every 15,000 miles and the other is like 10,000 miles.

A friend of mine had a kia and got the motor changed. They told him to get proof of oil changes too and I know he didn't have them. Not sure what he did, but Kia did replace his motor.

Last edited by Herc130; 02-04-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
I have a 2015 Kia Sorento with 20,000 miles that has had all proper maintenance. The engine blew and I have provided the oil change receipts but 2 are hand written so they are trying to deny my warranty. It has all the info and is even on letter head which is what this mechanic gives (been using him for a while). Can they do that?

Old 09-03-2016, 12:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty5565 View Post
I have a 2015 Kia Sorento with 20,000 miles that has had all proper maintenance. The engine blew and I have provided the oil change receipts but 2 are hand written so they are trying to deny my warranty. It has all the info and is even on letter head which is what this mechanic gives (been using him for a while). Can they do that?
No, they can't. If it's expensive find yourself a lawyer. This is a blatant breach of warranty.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty5565 View Post
Find out what the maximum amount is for small claims in your state, that will be cheaper than hiring an attorney.

Is this a 4cyl Sorento? If so you need to go to CarComplaints and the NHTSA and register a complaint, those engines are terrible.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Can't comment on the KIA but we have two Hyundais, a 2004 and 2012 Elantra. The 2004 still is around with around 130,000 miles. It had two major issues in its life, a failed transmission cooler that required towing and a bad water pump within warranty. The transmission cooler was not covered by the warranty.

When we bought the 2012, we paid $1,950 for an extended warranty for 5 years beyond the original 5 years, or 100k, bumper-to-bumper. That way, they can't claim it's not covered.

If you want your engine to last, use synthetic oil.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 PM

557 posts, read 608,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's Burgers View Post
A few years ago in Fountain Valley, California, a Hundayi/Kia executive killed another driver in a DUI. The company got him on a plane the next morning back to Korea. He was sent back 3 or so years later to face his punishment.
"A fugitive who fled to South Korea following a 2005 crash that resulted in the death of a motorcyclist will be extradited to Orange County to face felony charges. Youn Bum Lee, 41, was arrested last December by South Korean officials on a warrant issued for the death of motorcyclist Ryan Dallas Cook. The US Justice Department and the FBI had been searching for Lee since the warrant was issued in 2007." This tells me to not buy their car.
You honestly think that Ford or GM wouldn't do the same thing if one of their execs got into trouble overseas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia