Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt that you need a new engine. This is BS of the worst sort.

If you are not handy, find yourself a good independent shop, you probably just need to tune the engine, maybe O2 sensor, bada bing, bada boom.

A hint. Really fresh spark plugs with only a couple hundred miles on them make it easier to pass emissions, as does a quite recent oil change, plus, get the car well warmed up, do an "Italian tuneup" just before going to the sniffer...you should be good to go.

I think in your case the P.O.S. is the dealer, not the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,871,042 times
The first thing I would do is ask for the fault code (that triggered the engine light). Then I'd research it and see what it was. Next I'd take it to another shop, a non-Kia dealership like an independent garage, just tell them your check engine light is on and see what they say. And have them relay the code to you. I did a couple quick searches and it seems Kia's may have some common sludging problems, though that is inconclusive.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,435,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Kia/Hyundai is typically very good with customer service and honoring warranty repairs.

That's funny.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
KIA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! been trying to get a recall done that killed my 05 Sorento... got the ICV recall done and 2 days later the car died.... took it back to KIA they wont help due to sludge, however I have had it in the shop at Daytona KIA, and took it is for work done... Well the daytona kia closed down and now re-opened under new owners however NO one has papers on us taken our car to them.. So Kia wont help... the ICV recall killed the car due to a butterfly screws falling in the block and it ot stuck... messed up the block and made the car start to run bad, and from what I was told it is what killed the car from a 2nd person outside of KIA and now KIA wont help and says it is dead due to the sludge... BUT SLUDGE CANT PUT OF CHIP IN A BLOCK.... Dont know what to do.... being fight with KIA for 9 months now and getting no where...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM

9,446 posts, read 11,198,241 times
Contact NHTSA, Ralph Nader's group, or Consumers Union. One of them should be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,123 times
I have had similar problems with the Kia warranty and the engines. I have a Kia SUV which I purchased a few years ago with less than 30,000 miles on it. About a year and a half ago, the car started "clicking." The Kia dealership in town had recently gone out of business, therefore they had sent all of their customers to a FLM dealership. They told me that they didn't think it was a certain part, but under Kia's policy they had to test the part that they didn't think had anything to do with it. They ordered that part, Kia supposedly sent them the wrong part, so they had to reorder it. After testing that and figuring out that it was not the problem, they concluded that I needed a new engine. Fortunately my car only had 44,000 miles on it, so it was still under 2nd owner warranty. Unfortunately, I had to provide receipts of all oil changes that I had done since I took ownership of the car. Once I provided these, they told me that the oil changes I had done were not good enough because they were not done with Kia oil filters. We somehow got around this, and they replaced the engine. Prior to me receiving my car, the engine that they ordered was sent to a different state (nowhere near where I live). I was without a car other than a rental car that I had to provide for myself (I guess this is what you get when you are a loyal Kia customer, but the 2nd owner of said car) for a month. Today I am sitting here with a mechanic telling me that I need another new engine. My car now has 71,000 miles on it, and apparently it needs it's third engine. I am now out of warranty and do not know exactly what I should do. Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone had similar problems with their engine?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,585,751 times
Get rid of it and buy yourself something other than a Kia.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,483,847 times
KIA owners and prospect owners love to rant and rave about that 100K warranty...but refer to the warranty dialogue in Chris Farley's "Tommy Boy".

All joking aside, you gotta remember your dealing with A CAR COMPANY! All snakes. Some of them slither a little slower than others, but they are all snakes when the day is done. Period.
All that fine print pretty much much puts them in a spot of comfort. Honda is my brand of choice, yet they are not exempt from snake status as they are a car manufacturer.
My gf's friend had a KIA and had problems getting the transmission fixed when the Reverse went out at 9,000 miles. Took them a month to get it done and she did end up paying some hidden charges.
Best way to do it is save up a few grand and put it away and forget the warranties. They are all deceitful and useless.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,886,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzgrl02 View Post
I have a Kia SUV which I purchased a few years ago with less than 30,000 miles on it. About a year and a half ago, the car started "clicking." Fortunately my car only had 44,000 miles on it, My car now has 71,000 miles on it, and apparently it needs it's third engine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hmmmmm?

The previous owner put ~29K on it, then you drove it ~15K and it blew. Then, the 2nd engine only lasted 27K under your foot. Sounds like operator abuse is the problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,483,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hmmmmm?

The previous owner put ~29K on it, then you drove it ~15K and it blew. Then, the 2nd engine only lasted 27K under your foot. Sounds like operator abuse is the problem.
I am a lead foot as well and that's no excuse for an engine to fail 3 times. I have been rough on all my cars and have only had one engine go out on me, a Blazer. Kinda tired of people thinking you should pamper your car they are made to be driven and used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia