Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,021 times

Advertisements

As an owner of a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, If I was shopping for a car in the 30k-35k range, I would not be looking at a Hyundai, sorry. I am not bashing Hyundai, I am very happy with my 06' Sonata, but I agree, you are dealing with two entirely different sets of shoppers...the old saying comparing apples and oranges, there will be exceptions to the rule, but in my opinion, you are not going to find loyal BMW, Mercedes, Lexus customers buy this vehicle, sorry. I don't think these car mfg's have anything to worry about. Hyundai also had the Azera come out a few years ago, I don't think that was such a big success. Happy Car Shopping

Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Agreed. However, like I said, we going to have to wait about 10 years or so to see what happens.
Maybe, maybe not. It only took the market a couple of years to determine that Lexus and Infiniti were the real deal.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,974,111 times
Anyone in the market for a luxury car is not even going to consider Hyundai. Putting luxury features on a Hyundai is like putting lipstick on a pig. This will go down in flames, just like that Hyundai XG350 or whatever it was called. Hyundai does not attract high-end customers, and most high-end customers wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai...which has always been known as nothing more than the poor man's Honda or Toyota.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM

We heard all this 20 years ago...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Agreed. Why pay 8K or more for a car just for the logo when you can get the same quality for less? I think the Genesis is going to make Lexus, BMW etc. a little nervous...

The same quality? Are you honestly saying that Hyundai has the same quality as Lexus or BMW? Give me a break...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM

This is also the reason that when Toyota started Lexus, they made Lexus its own division, rather than slapping Toyota badges on them. The high-end customers weren't going to buy a Toyota either. Seeing a Hyundai badge on this car will make people think of an Accent or Elantra (poor man's Honda/Toyota). Plus, Hyundai isn't even anywhere near Toyota in quality, so it will be even a harder sell.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
This is also the reason that when Toyota started Lexus, they made Lexus its own division, rather than slapping Toyota badges on them. The high-end customers weren't going to buy a Toyota either.
It didnt matter if Toyota put their symbol or Lexus on those cars, they are impeccably built machines. And if some retard wouldnt buy a LS430 if it had a Toyota badge on it, just because, then I cant help the fact that they're that blind/stupid.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Anyone in the market for a luxury car is not even going to consider Hyundai. Putting luxury features on a Hyundai is like putting lipstick on a pig. This will go down in flames, just like that Hyundai XG350 or whatever it was called. Hyundai does not attract high-end customers, and most high-end customers wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai...which has always been known as nothing more than the poor man's Honda or Toyota.
This isnt exactly "high end" cars, theyre around 30-40K, not 100K+. Hyundai is making a luxury car that is priced squarely to fit into that entry-level luxury car market, which is a pretty hot market. I think they will have moderate success and the Genesis will, if all goes according to plan, will put Hyundai's name out there. And like their recent models, will put up one helluva fight. Ive seen the Sonata ranked higher than the Camry in a few comparisons. Who says the Genesis wont do the same? Time will tell. And in the meantime Hyundai will continue to make great strides in quality and design. I, for one, am very pleased at what Hyundai has done in the last 10 years. And other consumers who are buying their products will say the same as their market share continues to grow.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You appear to be stuck in 1989. This is exactly what people were saying about Hyundai back then. The industry snickered. And back then, they had fair reason to snicker: Hyundais were mediocre cars back then.

Fast-forward to 2008. The industry isn't snickering any more. Hyundai is no longer an "also-ran" company. They are now the world's 5th largest automaker -- they now sell more cars than Honda. Their JD Power quality rankings now surpass Toyota and Honda. Two of Consumer Reports' top ten picks are Hyundais. The 2007 Strategic Vision Total Quality Award, which measures quality over the entire ownership experience and not just initial quality, gave the top award to a Hyundai product (either Hyundai or Kia) in 4 of its 15 automotive segments.

You are among a rapidly shrinking group of people who still have a case of "Hyundai snobbery." The rest of the car-buying public has taken notice of the value proposition that Hyundai products offer. That's why their U.S. sales volume has increased five-fold over the last decade. The few remaining Hyundai skeptics are today's equivalent of those who still doubted Toyota and Honda in 1990. The times have passed you up just as quickly as Hyundai has passed up its rivals in sales volume.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM

(^)

And there you have it, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia