Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times

Advertisements

Lexus, BMW and MB are sweating. Hyundai is making gigantic leaps in regards to quality and reliability. Sure, some snobs will refuse to settle for a Hyundai no matter how nice it is, but there are many like me who, if I were in the market, would definitely consider the Genesis as a solid option.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 AM

324 posts, read 884,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lexus, BMW and MB are sweating. Hyundai is making gigantic leaps in regards to quality and reliability. Sure, some snobs will refuse to settle for a Hyundai no matter how nice it is, but there are many like me who, if I were in the market, would definitely consider the Genesis as a solid option.
Agreed. Why pay 8K or more for a car just for the logo when you can get the same quality for less? I think the Genesis is going to make Lexus, BMW etc. a little nervous...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM

897 posts, read 2,826,262 times
^ I have to disagree - we are talking about two totally different customers ...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
^ I have to disagree - we are talking about two totally different customers ...
These days, money matters to most. And who'd buy a comparable BMW with outrageous repair costs, higher theft rates, questionable reliablility, less warrarnty, all for several thousand more? People these days are abandoning brand loyalty and doing whats best for their wallet.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Again, two totally different customers. The customer that can really afford these luxury lines are not going to go for a Hyundai, Kia, etal. They have not been around long enough and have not proven their quality. Give it 10 years or so and we will see.

However, the average customer that wants luxury but can't afford it will probably go for this type of vehicle.

Economic times may be changing for some, but there are still plenty of consumers with significant funds where brand does matter.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Again, two totally different customers. The customer that can really afford these luxury lines are not going to go for a Hyundai, Kia, etal. They have not been around long enough and have not proven their quality. Give it 10 years or so and we will see.

However, the average customer that wants luxury but can't afford it will probably go for this type of vehicle.

Economic times may be changing for some, but there are still plenty of consumers with significant funds where brand does matter.
We heard all this before when people scoffed at luxury marques from Toyota and Nissan. The Germans aren't scoffing any more, and Infiniti and particularly Lexus are considered legitimate luxury brands.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,620,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Agreed...

I remember reading about how Lexus has came about since it debuted the LS400 in the lates 80's. Many were skeptical, but now Lexus sits well on the totum pole, same goes for Infiniti.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We heard all this before when people scoffed at luxury marques from Toyota and Nissan. The Germans aren't scoffing any more, and Infiniti and particularly Lexus are considered legitimate luxury brands.
Agreed. However, like I said, we going to have to wait about 10 years or so to see what happens.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Agreed. However, like I said, we going to have to wait about 10 years or so to see what happens.
Our Hyundai is 7 years old alone, with over 105K on the ticker, and runs great! And even since then Hyundai has made great strides in quality! The best ever was picking up my cousin at Bill Jacobs BMW after he had to drop off his 530i, yet again, in the Hyundai. We bought ours new, payed almost 20K less (!!!!) than his 530i and had A LOT less problems. Now, dont get me wrong, we had to take our Hyundai to the dealer a few times (for petty stuff), but the warranty covered everything. After 3 trips to the dealer in one year alone, my cousin sold his 530i and ended up buying a Volvo S80, which has also had problems. IMO, our Hyundai has been a really, really good car. Weve had it for 7 years and never had to spend a penny on it other than to buy a new timing belt, which my buddy replaced. Anyways, I told my cousin to consider the Hyundai Azera when he was looking at another car, but noooooooo. I wonder if he secretly kicks himself at night?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

We seemed to have reached the point where if you want a good, traditional (reliable, not a beta version of bells & whistles) German sedan a Lexus is what you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia