Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 01:24 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

Based on this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hyun...gine-died.html

My engine failed and luckily I had a 3rd party warranty that kicked in and repaired the $3k repair bill for replacing the 2.0L engine. I had to pay the deductible which was $250 and taxes.

So Hyundai mailed me a campaign packet for reimbursement for any engine work for failed engines. 1st time I sent my receipts that I gotten the work done and it was both a work order and paid receipt.

Hyundai rejected the claim saying I didn't include the credit card statements that show the payment to the repair shop.

I emailed them and 2-3 replies they said they need to see more documentation of the engine diagnostics and itemized cost of the labor and parts. I said it is very clearly listed in the work order. Do you actually work for a car company?

They gave me a final rejection notice then another rep from Hyundai sent me an email claiming they want to give me one more chance of submitting the documentations. So I resubmitted everything including the car registration photo, my license, work order, and receipts and the rep continued to act dumb like why the work order doesn't indicate why the engine was replaced. I don't go change the engine for no reason.

All I've filed was to recover the deductible of $250 and they're giving me a hard time then filing for unemployment.

I'm done with Hyundai, their cars suck, continued to get tons of recalls and failures. Instead of giving owners any reprieve they give them a hard time after they already suffered catastrophic failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 01:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
What does unemployment have to do with anything? IMHO, making it personal by insulting some company lackey (the "do you actually work for a car company" snark) isn't going to boost the inclination to help you.

If they keep claiming the repair shop's diagnostics, work order and receipts don't provide enough documentation, what about putting a Hyundai rep into direct communication with the SHOP and let them go through everything line by line? Taking an obviously frustrated customer out of the mix might be a good idea at this point.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-18-2023 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 02:17 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
So, you gonna tell us why the engine failed or keep us in limbo like you appear to be doing with Hyundai? Saying its in the documentaion means little if it doesnt say WHY the enginewas replaced.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:45 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So, you gonna tell us why the engine failed or keep us in limbo like you appear to be doing with Hyundai? Saying its in the documentaion means little if it doesnt say WHY the enginewas replaced.
These are the Theta II engines with the class action lawsuit and lifetime warranty. They are DESIGNED to fail, just at differing miles.
Our, a 2013, failed at 140K miles and we got a new engine thanks to my detailed maintenance records. But, after the new engine we have had a long list of issues. Not to mention the car needed a lot of new parts even before the engine. Some covered under warranty, but I agree that these cars are not built with high quality in mind. I am OCD about my cars and their maintenance and usually get good life out of them. Our Sonata has been disappointing.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Seems like that warranty company should be going after Hyundai to get their money back. They really shouldn't have paid for something that was under factory warranty.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
This really explains why you just don't see those Sonatas and Elantras with that sleek design that strated the sleek design phase. I think it started around 2010. They had the bomb of a motor.

You see more CVT dreaded Altimas still out there or even dreaded automatic Ford Focus and Fiestas than those.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
This really explains why you just don't see those Sonatas and Elantras with that sleek design that strated the sleek design phase. I think it started around 2010. They had the bomb of a motor.

You see more CVT dreaded Altimas still out there or even dreaded automatic Ford Focus and Fiestas than those.
I still see lots of Sonatas and Optimas, but I'm sure many have had engine replacements.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:59 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Look, you maybe blind to car news but Hyundai/KIA are notorious with failures that left their owners on the hook without a proper solution unless they were coerced by the government to issue a recall. They've had car fires, easy theft, engine failures, and other issues that should provide the customers with proper solutions but they don't and they are trying to blame the customer first.

When I took delivery of the car, I changed the oil myself and drove it for about 2k miles and the engine suddenly failed. I was lucky when I was driving it was in local roads and not on the highway.

When I had it towed to the dealer they want to see oil change documentation. However I just got the car used and the carfax had some documentation but not extensive. So they denied the engine replacement, then I turned to my car warranty and luckily it was covered. Then I read the news and forums that this Theta engine is a deathstar. The guy who worked at dealership admits it was a bad engine and did the ECU update after the engine was replaced.

These dealerships are at the mercy of the HQ who are not paying out engine replacements without playing by their rules.

From my dealings with Hyundai HQ, they are terrible. They don't sympathize with owners especially those with KIAs that can't even get insurance due to the hack.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Had a 12 Hyundai Accent once. Got it new at drove it to 67k. It was utterly reliable but got no where near the advertised MPG.

The engine problems of Hyundai got me too thought, kind of minor. It was a GDI motor. It started knocking on hard acceleration unless I put in super leaded gas or use a button of octane booster every fill up.

The dealer gave a free something service for the issue when I brought it in, have no idea can't remember what they exactly did. Did not work. They told me I had to get a 5 to 600 dollar service for that. I said forget it.

Traded in the car for something more roomy, it was the Accent hatch for a Nissan Cube with a port injection motor. Bought the Cube in 2016 with 25k and now at 105k ZERO times I have no issues with motor or CVT and never left me stranded. Nissan knows how to make motors. CVT I grant you has some issues but knock on wood have not had any. I was so impressed I got a 16 Altima SR last year and love it. Drives like a million dollars.

Since than I have avoided all direct injected motors. I will buy if its direct injected and port injected together.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:55 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Had a 12 Hyundai Accent once. Got it new at drove it to 67k. It was utterly reliable but got no where near the advertised MPG.

The engine problems of Hyundai got me too thought, kind of minor. It was a GDI motor. It started knocking on hard acceleration unless I put in super leaded gas or use a button of octane booster every fill up.

The dealer gave a free something service for the issue when I brought it in, have no idea can't remember what they exactly did. Did not work. They told me I had to get a 5 to 600 dollar service for that. I said forget it.

Traded in the car for something more roomy, it was the Accent hatch for a Nissan Cube with a port injection motor. Bought the Cube in 2016 with 25k and now at 105k ZERO times I have no issues with motor or CVT and never left me stranded. Nissan knows how to make motors. CVT I grant you has some issues but knock on wood have not had any. I was so impressed I got a 16 Altima SR last year and love it. Drives like a million dollars.

Since than I have avoided all direct injected motors. I will buy if its direct injected and port injected together.
Your Accent had engine detonation from carbon build up on the valves. It is due to the DI and lack of port injector. The dealer probably did a valve cleaning, or maybe just seafoam. Either way, I think with Hyundai/Kia, you have to get rid of them somewhere between 60-80K miles. Glad to hear the Nissans are ok, we have a Rogue Sport and like it-so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia