Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times

Advertisements

a few years ago I had to travel for work. i rented a car and drove to the hotel in another state. the next day after work the plan was to have everyone go to dinner at a restaurant then everyone who traveled would go back to the hotel and leave the next day. i wanted to go home sooner so i checked out of the hotel that morning and drove home after dinner.

i expensed the car, gas, hotel and meal but on my next paycheck they deducted about $35 to cover the meal because their logic is you cant expense dinner without a hotel stay during the same nite.
if i didnt check out and expensed them $100 for a room i didnt use, they wouldve covered my meal.

crazy, huh ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
"Back in the day" one of my colleagues had assignments in Alaska's outback. He needed to buy footwear specific for that assignment which he put on his travel voucher. Bean-counters declined to reimburse him. Two months later he wrote "You find the boots!" on his travel voucher.

Bottom line, some of those expense rules are driven by the Internal Revenue code. That said, most savvy travelers figure out how to hide 'boots' in their vouchers.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,743 times
I've found it very important to carefully read expense policies before travel. I usually bring a copy of the policy with me.

I had a boss who was idiotic about expenses. I managed my own budget, which was funded by a grant, and travel expenses were spelled out within the grant contract...so I know I was spending only about half the allowed amount on meals. Yet she made a big production out of everything.

She wanted to see what we ate--she said it would look bad if we were eating steaks. Well I wasn't. I was eating regular foods.

Once I had a cheap appetizer instead of dinner and walked across the street to get a $3 ice cream cone. She said once you finished eating dinner at the first place, everything after that is a snack, which is not reimbursable. omg. I said, "Just so we're clear for my next trip, I get reimbursed for dessert at the same place I eat my meal, as long as it's within the allowed amount, even if it costs more than an ice cream cone across the street?"

Stupid woman.

I had another person in the expense department who kept getting counseled by her supervisor for enforcing her own rules about expenses that went well beyond what the company policy said. She told me I have to eat at fast food places only. She would read every line item on the receipt and tell me I shouldn't be ordering such and such. One time I ordered a milkshake just to **** her off. lol

Again, I eat very cheaply. My manager was telling me to spend more on meals because the excess funds would just be surrendered back to our funder!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
That's normal, the same applies to someone that stays overnight when the event ends in time to fly home the same day, no meal and no hotel reimbursement. It would be considered additional pay by the IRS. In this situation, the latter did not apply because they were all together, so it could be considered a "team building" opportunity or just a dinner meeting. You didn't participate so are on your own for the cost of dinner.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 PM

275 posts, read 252,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post

I had another person in the expense department who kept getting counseled by her supervisor for enforcing her own rules about expenses that went well beyond what the company policy said. She told me I have to eat at fast food places only. She would read every line item on the receipt and tell me I shouldn't be ordering such and such. One time I ordered a milkshake just to **** her off. lol
This is too priceless. Did she say anything about the milkshake?

I think people get lost in the $$$ it is costing, or the technicalities, and lose sight of logic.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a few years ago I had to travel for work. i rented a car and drove to the hotel in another state. the next day after work the plan was to have everyone go to dinner at a restaurant then everyone who traveled would go back to the hotel and leave the next day. i wanted to go home sooner so i checked out of the hotel that morning and drove home after dinner.

i expensed the car, gas, hotel and meal but on my next paycheck they deducted about $35 to cover the meal because their logic is you cant expense dinner without a hotel stay during the same nite.
if i didnt check out and expensed them $100 for a room i didnt use, they wouldve covered my meal.

crazy, huh ?
This was a few years ago and you're still thinking about it?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's normal, the same applies to someone that stays overnight when the event ends in time to fly home the same day, no meal and no hotel reimbursement. It would be considered additional pay by the IRS. In this situation, the latter did not apply because they were all together, so it could be considered a "team building" opportunity or just a dinner meeting. You didn't participate so are on your own for the cost of dinner.
i did go to dinner with the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This was a few years ago and you're still thinking about it?
i dont obsess over it. just a fun story to share.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
This is too priceless. Did she say anything about the milkshake?

I think people get lost in the $$$ it is costing, or the technicalities, and lose sight of logic.
I think a lot of the people who don't travel think those who do are living the high life of exotic places, fine dining, and parties every night. Our office secretary is like that. Even though she doesn't see the vouchers, she is constantly making comments about travel, hotels, "fancy meals" etc. Heck we had several go to a conference about eight years ago that she constantly brings up to everyone.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think a lot of the people who don't travel think those who do are living the high life of exotic places, fine dining, and parties every night. Our office secretary is like that. Even though she doesn't see the vouchers, she is constantly making comments about travel, hotels, "fancy meals" etc. Heck we had several go to a conference about eight years ago that she constantly brings up to everyone.

I retired from the railroad after 37 years. It involves a lot of hard work and travel. Way back when, we got a new supervisor. He was a total hard ass. Good friend of mine was a machine operator. His nickname was "tiny". guy was 6'9 and weighed just a little over 450#. Usually a great guy..... but do not take advantage of him. this is the background.

Tiny turns in his expense account to the new boss. tiny eats a LOT. Everyone knew this including his old bosses. His meal expenses were usually twice most others. That being said.. he was also one of our best heavy crane operators. these were like hens teeth. Well the new boss decided his meal expense was "excessive"....and wrote across the form that same reason for denial........

A few days later "tiny" went to see the new boss personally. the secretary told him to go ahead into his office.........The story goes that Da boss looked up... and up........and up........said "can I help you?"
Tiny placed his rejected expense form in front of the boss and said " i'm Mr. lowe, and I would like to know why you do not expect me to eat when I am away from home in a hotel???".........at the same time he leaned way Down and over the bosses desk while placing his hands on the edge {they were about the size of two hams}

The boss is said to have taken about 10 seconds to profusely apologize AND assure Mr lowe it would not happen again...........

I knew them both. and they both told it the same way.........

Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
"Back in the day" one of my colleagues had assignments in Alaska's outback. He needed to buy footwear specific for that assignment which he put on his travel voucher. Bean-counters declined to reimburse him. Two months later he wrote "You find the boots!" on his travel voucher.

Bottom line, some of those expense rules are driven by the Internal Revenue code. That said, most savvy travelers figure out how to hide 'boots' in their vouchers.
What does that mean or do writing that on an expense report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment