Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
What does that mean or do writing that on an expense report?
The person increased certain expenses here and there to cover his boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The person increased certain expenses here and there to cover his boots.
Sounds like fraud...

Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
This is too priceless. Did she say anything about the milkshake?
Yes, and I said, "My supervisor said you've been counseled about making rules that are not in the policy. Is that true?"

It is just like another poster said--this person thought everyone was partying on the company dime. She didn't think that (imagined) partying was right, and tried to replace it with suffering. She actually told me to call her before traveling and she would provide me with a printed list of McDonald's near my destination.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:28 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Default Getting fired over an expense report

I knew a guy who had to travel to see the clients for his job. This involved air travel, hotels, renting a car and food. He would continue to abusive this and push it to the limits.

If he rented a car, it wasn't just any car it was a Cadillac. When it came to food, it was an expensive place and he would order a bottle of wine and include that on the bill too. He never tried to hide it.

He would get back to the office, and they would question him on his expense report, and his supervisor would argue with him not to do this anymore. But the company would pay for whatever he did on the trip each time. He always had an excuse for it, "I'm a big guy, I need a big car...", and the list goes on.

Finally his supervisor had enough of this, and when he did it again after being reprimanded, he told him he was terminated. The termination paperwork required it to be signed by his supervisor's boss. The supervisor's boss was an old timer with the company and when he was a first line supervisor, this expense report repeat offender worked in his group. So he told his supervisor not to fire him!

It depends on where you work, the kind of work you are doing, and what kind of management you have.

So this guy is telling me this story with a smug look on his face. But he admitted he didn't abuse the expense report anymore.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 PM

254 posts, read 597,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a few years ago I had to travel for work. i rented a car and drove to the hotel in another state. the next day after work the plan was to have everyone go to dinner at a restaurant then everyone who traveled would go back to the hotel and leave the next day. i wanted to go home sooner so i checked out of the hotel that morning and drove home after dinner.

i expensed the car, gas, hotel and meal but on my next paycheck they deducted about $35 to cover the meal because their logic is you cant expense dinner without a hotel stay during the same nite.
if i didnt check out and expensed them $100 for a room i didnt use, they wouldve covered my meal.

crazy, huh ?
You wrote this happened a few years ago so why are you mentioning this now?

Old 03-21-2016, 02:01 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
^ just for shiggles (why post anything, anywhere, at any time ?).

Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I've found it very important to carefully read expense policies before travel. I usually bring a copy of the policy with me.

I had a boss who was idiotic about expenses. I managed my own budget, which was funded by a grant, and travel expenses were spelled out within the grant contract...so I know I was spending only about half the allowed amount on meals. Yet she made a big production out of everything.

She wanted to see what we ate--she said it would look bad if we were eating steaks. Well I wasn't. I was eating regular foods.

Once I had a cheap appetizer instead of dinner and walked across the street to get a $3 ice cream cone. She said once you finished eating dinner at the first place, everything after that is a snack, which is not reimbursable. omg. I said, "Just so we're clear for my next trip, I get reimbursed for dessert at the same place I eat my meal, as long as it's within the allowed amount, even if it costs more than an ice cream cone across the street?"

Stupid woman.

I had another person in the expense department who kept getting counseled by her supervisor for enforcing her own rules about expenses that went well beyond what the company policy said. She told me I have to eat at fast food places only. She would read every line item on the receipt and tell me I shouldn't be ordering such and such. One time I ordered a milkshake just to **** her off. lol

Again, I eat very cheaply. My manager was telling me to spend more on meals because the excess funds would just be surrendered back to our funder!
I ran into the same thing years ago. I took a trip with my bosses' boss from here in CA to the Midwest and involved traveling to 3 different states. On one flight I was sitting next to him and he asked if I had bought the paperback I was reading while traveling and they wouldn't cover that. I told him I bought it at home and brought it with me.(which I did).

Than while traveling he got some eye infection(apparently he had this ongoing problem) he got his doctor in CA to get a prescription filled in IL at CVS, which I offered to get since he couldn't drive with the eye like that in the rental car. While there I picked up a couple of things for myself(we were gone a full week and I bought some toiletries), when I turned them in as expenses they were denied....LOL.

It was weird they paid for the airline tickets, and his asst. made the hotel reservations, which you had to pay for and get reimbursed later. I didn't get why they just didn't cover both. But when I turned the expenses from CVS they turned it down.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:36 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sounds like fraud...

Or... creative reimbursment

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
dublin,Was toiletry reimbursement in your policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment