Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,560,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Also considering the Genesis sedan. Key for me is service. I’m reluctant to pay for the Lexus, Audi, BMW service. Wonder how expensive the Genesis service is?
You don't pay for service with Genesis (at least for the first few years). In fact, you don't even visit the dealership's service department. When your car needs service, you press a button on your mirror to connect to Genesis Connected Services, they call your local Genesis dealership to schedule your appointment, and then on that day an employee comes to your house to pick up your car, leaves you with a courtesy vehicle for the day, and then drives your car to the dealership to be serviced. At the end of the day, he brings your car back to you and departs with the courtesy car.//

I didn't get that kind of service with Jaguar or with Mercedes. The closest comparison would be to when I owned a Maserati 4200 Coupe' a few years ago. The local dealership (which was in the next county) would come pick up the car for its annual service and put it on a flatbed (rather than have their employee drive it), but there was an additional charge for doing so. With Genesis, the valet service is gratis.//

Cool. About to peruse website....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 07:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's still a Hyundai at the end of the day
Did anybody say Lexus is Toyota at the end of the day?

Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Did anybody say Lexus is Toyota at the end of the day?
Lexus is completely different than USDM Toyota. Lexus are almost 90% made in Japan with completely different manufacturing standards. The Lexus panel gap tests show it is the best in world in terms of precision assembly.

At the of the day, Lexus reliability still #1 while Toyota is respectfully either #2 or top 5 around the world. Hyundai still has ways to go.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:40 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,746,077 times
Quote:
Quote:
Also considering the Genesis sedan. Key for me is service. I’m reluctant to pay for the Lexus, Audi, BMW service. Wonder how expensive the Genesis service is?
You don't pay for service with Genesis (at least for the first few years). In fact, you don't even visit the dealership's service department. When your car needs service, you press a button on your mirror to connect to Genesis Connected Services, they call your local Genesis dealership to schedule your appointment, and then on that day an employee comes to your house to pick up your car, leaves you with a courtesy vehicle for the day, and then drives your car to the dealership to be serviced. At the end of the day, he brings your car back to you and departs with the courtesy car.//

I didn't get that kind of service with Jaguar or with Mercedes. The closest comparison would be to when I owned a Maserati 4200 Coupe' a few years ago. The local dealership (which was in the next county) would come pick up the car for its annual service and put it on a flatbed (rather than have their employee drive it), but there was an additional charge for doing so. With Genesis, the valet service is gratis.//

Cool. About to peruse website....
The nearest Genesis dealer is 90 miles from us. There is a Hyundai dealer 16 miles away ( we own 2 Hyundais and we are super satisfied). I wonder how far is the Genesis dealer willing to go out for a service pickup?

Then again I'm not sure I want a 19-year old on minimum wage drive our 70 K car for 90 miles and back.

I do like the new SUV but that steering wheel got to go.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,538,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think other car makers are as worried about Kia or Genesis because people who buys Kia or Genesis are looking for value. People who buys lexus, infiniti, BMW, etc are looking for pedigree. Majority of the people who do a $50k+ SUV are leasing so the price isn't a huge factor when dealers keep the lease number about the same.

I see a lot of videos and ads pushing Genesis and Kia the last few years but they aren't killing it. I see plenty of driving Porsches, BMWs, Infinitis, and for value they go for Toyota or Hondas. Korean luxury SUVs are still a rare sighting.
I think the niche that Genesis will accomplish is that they will give you value and become a niche brand at the same time. Not only are the Koreans looking to distinguish themselves in how they style their vehicles (I think they are the most daring at new designs), but they are looking to distinguish themselves with a sentence.

The Germans may also be known as "the driver's cars." I think in a few years we will have a positive sentence to say about the Koreans that will make every Japanese automaker envious.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:15 PM

The Germans may also be known as "the driver's cars." I think in a few years we will have a positive sentence to say about the Koreans that will make every Japanese automaker envious.

My all-time favorite car was a 2007 VW GTi, so I do agree with the above. Having said that, our current Hyundai Kona with a DCT transm. and 1.6 turbo engine is almost as good, say 85% as good for a lesser price and better warranty. That "positive sentence" is coming very, very soon.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's still a Hyundai at the end of the day
When we sold our Sorento we got as much for that as we would get if I sold our Infiniti. The Kia was exactly 1/2 the cost of the Infiniti. And the Kia was imo a more reliable vehicle.

I don’t much care because by the time I’m done with it it’s not worth much. 10 years later your luxurious brand won’t be worth much either. In fact it’s more likely to lose value faster.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:38 PM

From the Car and Driver website:

The 2021 Genesis GV80 luxury SUV has a starting price of $49,925 and a fully loaded price of $72,375.
The base engine is a turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-four and the optional engine is a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6.
The GV80 will arrive at U.S. dealerships sometime this summer.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:53 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,760,858 times
One of the most boring cars I've ever seen

Old 03-10-2020, 06:05 PM

7,500 posts, read 7,204,837 times
Looks like for the past year “The SUV” has been the Kia Telluride, but now it’s going to be the GV80...very sophisticated styling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia