Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times

Advertisements

Remember during the last recession how the rich were leaving German brands and going to Hyundai for their cheap V8 luxury car for $40k? What transpired from that since? I'm actually seeing fewer and fewer Hyundai Luxury cars. More and more Mercs these days on the road than it's ever been.

Genesis and Kia has one problem and I think it will take time to overcome and that's the perception that its just cheap booze.

When the economy wasn't good, people drive them and once people had more money they go back to premium brands. Genesis makes some good looking cars but none of them really excites me. Because Hyundai borrows too much from other car makes. I like to see they develop their own character but I keep seeing Genesis cars look more like knockoffs of expensive brands. They need to stop the constant copying of Audi, Jaguar, and Mercedes in favor of their own cues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
That steering wheel design is sure ugly.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:40 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,063,338 times
LOL.... I was just on the "Religion and Spirituality" forums and when i was scrolling down this page I thought "Genesis GV80" was a chapter and verse of the Bible.......

Old 01-19-2020, 05:31 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,481,224 times
It's still a Hyundai at the end of the day

Old 01-19-2020, 01:53 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,355,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If you have a ‘15 Genesis 5.0 rwd sedan in Ibiza blue then keep it.
Empire state grey, I bought it in '16 due to a lot clearing deal in preparation for the Genesis being spun off as it's own brand, so got a bit over $12k off MSRP, but the closest Ibiza blue was 1,6k miles away and I wasn't prepared to go that far to pick one up.

It't a great car though, the longest I've ever kept a vehicle and the only time I've ever bought the same car twice (traded a '10 genesis 4,6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Remember during the last recession how the rich were leaving German brands and going to Hyundai for their cheap V8 luxury car for $40k? What transpired from that since? I'm actually seeing fewer and fewer Hyundai Luxury cars. More and more Mercs these days on the road than it's ever been.

Genesis and Kia has one problem and I think it will take time to overcome and that's the perception that its just cheap booze.

When the economy wasn't good, people drive them and once people had more money they go back to premium brands. Genesis makes some good looking cars but none of them really excites me. Because Hyundai borrows too much from other car makes. I like to see they develop their own character but I keep seeing Genesis cars look more like knockoffs of expensive brands. They need to stop the constant copying of Audi, Jaguar, and Mercedes in favor of their own cues.
Must be a regional thing, the G80 and G70 are everywhere around here, I have no doubt the GV80 will sell like hotcakes.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
Went to an “International” car show today and Genesis was only the only notable brand missing. The Kia / Hyundai sections were slammed today with the Stinger Veloster N Pallisade and Telluride all swamped. The Telluride was quite beautiful with the lighter interior and 2nd row captains chairs. The GV80 should be even better!

I got to drive:
Accord 2.0T stick
Civic type r stick
Civic SI stick
Passport
Camry trd auto
Rav 4 hybrid
Jeep Gladiator
Fiat 124 spider stick
Mustang GT stick
F150 ecodiesel

They had a 10 min course through some Utah back roads setup so quite fun. Got there before all the Mormons got out of church so had the place to myself.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I'm seeing a fair number of G70s around. For sure BMW and Mercedes are basically Honda Civics for the Bay Area as far as plane Jane and they aren't in that number but there's quite a few of them. Good looking car. They're not really comfortable for six footers as a four passenger though. It's doable for someone my size at 5'9" but if you need to put the driver's seat farther back you're not going to put someone behind them. That and the lack of trunk space, I'd still go for the 3-series in that class or the Kia Stinger.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:11 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The 3.3T engine that is coming to America is a 6 cylinder model and packs plenty of grunt. Go test drive a G70 at your nearest Genesis dealer and you'll see.
The G70 is an amazing car. I drive a G80 Sport with the same 3.3T engine (365hp; 376 torque) and it handles almost as well as my last Jag. I would have gone for the G70, but I needed more backseat room to be able to transport my elderly parents around town to medical appointments, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Also considering the Genesis sedan. Key for me is service. I’m reluctant to pay for the Lexus, Audi, BMW service. Wonder how expensive the Genesis service is?
You don't pay for service with Genesis (at least for the first few years). In fact, you don't even visit the dealership's service department. When your car needs service, you press a button on your mirror to connect to Genesis Connected Services, they call your local Genesis dealership to schedule your appointment, and then on that day an employee comes to your house to pick up your car, leaves you with a courtesy vehicle for the day, and then drives your car to the dealership to be serviced. At the end of the day, he brings your car back to you and departs with the courtesy car.

I didn't get that kind of service with Jaguar or with Mercedes. The closest comparison would be to when I owned a Maserati 4200 Coupe' a few years ago. The local dealership (which was in the next county) would come pick up the car for its annual service and put it on a flatbed (rather than have their employee drive it), but there was an additional charge for doing so. With Genesis, the valet service is gratis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's still a Hyundai at the end of the day
That's idiotic. It's akin to saying that an Audi is still a VW at the end of the day.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:32 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,355,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's idiotic. It's akin to saying that an Audi is still a VW at the end of the day.
And more to the point, so what?

Hyundai make some really good cars, the Genesis brand certainly falls under that category. What difference does it make which logo is on it?

Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
And more to the point, so what?

Hyundai make some really good cars, the Genesis brand certainly falls under that category. What difference does it make which logo is on it?
To most people saying things like it it makes a huge difference.
Hermes sells a wallet for $4,500. It's nicer than the wallet that I have for sure. But at least $4,000 of that is because it's Hermes. You can find handmade alligator leather wallets that are, to my unrefined sensibilities, just as nice for $200-300 from countless brands. But they're not Hermes. Maybe they're not quite as nice so there's another $200 in quality there that I won't quibble about. If I really wanted an alligator wallet, I'd buy one of those other brands for $200-300. I probably wouldn't even consider Hermes at $400-500, let alone $4,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia