Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 08:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Honestly its an 'okay' design, Kind of resembles an outdated GMC Yukon and if it wasn't because the Mach-E is fully electric as opposed to PHEV, The Telluride wouldn't stand a chance.
Maybe the competition was better for those years. Just because you see the 4Runner as a ultimate SUV doesn’t mean everyone sees it the same way. The 4runner wouldn’t even be on my list today for a vehicle. The criteria is based on many aspects of the vehicle and while the 4Runner may excel in some maybe it doesn’t excel in all needed aspects to win.
Yes Toyota sells well, but IMO most of their vehicles are outdated overall. Would I buy one? Yes......if it met the needed criteria between price, value, reliability, function and need....sure it would be on my list. But for the most part they don’t because the competition has gotten better. IMO Toyota is today where the Big 3 were back in the 80s mentally. They keep thinking We’re number one but the competition has caught up and is passing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,949,552 times
My youngest girl bought a Toyota 4 Runner Limited. It was the biggest POS on 4 wheels I've ever had the displeasure of riding in. I would have made Toyota buy it back but she stuck it out for 3 years. She now drives a 2019 Highlander and is happy, happy, happy. Her older sister bought a Kia right out of college. Put 100,000 trouble free miles on it. It was a base 4 door and I think the only option was the radio. She's now married to a high powered attorney that won't have an econobox badge in his garage. She's now stuck with driving a 2019 BMW 700 series. She'd rather have the Kia. My nephew is looking at the Kia Telluride and has driven several. He loves them but hasn't found THE one yet. His wife drives a Kia sedan that has all the buttons and bells. They love the brand. From what I've seen of the Telluride, they're selling them as fast as they can make them. For a new ride, we see a lot of them on the roads here. They look as good as anything out there. I have no clue how long one would run but if it's anything like the oldest girls sedan, it apparently will run longer than most will want it.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM

7,500 posts, read 7,204,837 times
Yeah, like MT or not it has on nearly every other award already.

KIA TELLURIDE WINS “TRIPLE CROWN” OF PRESTIGIOUS AUTOMOTIVE AWARDS

First time ever that an SUV has won all three awards in one year

Sweep caps year of unprecedented success for Kia and confirms brand amongst best in the automotive industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,760,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My youngest girl bought a Toyota 4 Runner Limited. It was the biggest POS on 4 wheels I've ever had the displeasure of riding in. I would have made Toyota buy it back but she stuck it out for 3 years. She now drives a 2019 Highlander and is happy, happy, happy. Her older sister bought a Kia right out of college. Put 100,000 trouble free miles on it. It was a base 4 door and I think the only option was the radio. She's now married to a high powered attorney that won't have an econobox badge in his garage. She's now stuck with driving a 2019 BMW 700 series. She'd rather have the Kia. My nephew is looking at the Kia Telluride and has driven several. He loves them but hasn't found THE one yet. His wife drives a Kia sedan that has all the buttons and bells. They love the brand. From what I've seen of the Telluride, they're selling them as fast as they can make them. For a new ride, we see a lot of them on the roads here. They look as good as anything out there. I have no clue how long one would run but if it's anything like the oldest girls sedan, it apparently will run longer than most will want it.
a toyota 4runner a pos in what way? pos's don't retain their value like 4runners, so society and the market disagrees with you. now if you are referring to ride quality and refinement, then yes, the 4runner is not the best. it's a SUV. a body on frame SUV. if someone bought it expecting it to be a smooth and refined highway cruiser, they bought the wrong vehicle. it's a truck, and all trucks ride like trash. the difference is that the kia with 100,000 miles is probably worth $700, whereas a 4runner with 100,000 miles will fetch $30k when you go to trade it in.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:46 AM

unfortunately you're not the only one it seems from a lot of the feedback lately let's just say they're not what they used to be. Meanwhile Hyundai and Kia are both surpassing the competition.

Quote:

Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,760,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
unfortunately you're not the only one it seems from a lot of the feedback lately let's just say they're not what they used to be. Meanwhile Hyundai and Kia are both surpassing the competition.
You might want to check the most reliable car brands. It's always a Toyota or Lexus product at number 1. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately others are still living in the '80s.

Quote:

Old 02-24-2020, 10:24 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,746,077 times
This is a copy and paste from the online edition of Motor Trend:

The only ground the Telluride leaves for the Highlander is in official EPA fuel economy estimates. The Highlander is rated at 20/27/23 mpg city/highway/combined, whereas the Telluride nets 19/24/21 mpg. But as the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary." On our 135-mile evaluation loop, the Kia returned 19.7 mpg; the Toyota scored 18.1 mpg. You can credit the difference to the Kia's superior engine and transmission tuning.

Often in a comparison test we're left weighing pros and cons, comparing test numbers, and arguing over notes, but that just isn't the case this time. The Toyota Highlander might have been the best-selling three-row SUV in the U.S. last year, but the new one simply doesn't move the needle far enough forward to compete with the new kid on the block. It's neither particularly well packaged nor pleasant to drive. It is, however, well priced for the features you get, and its optional hybrid powertrain—one of only two in the segment—could be appealing to more forward-looking buyers.

Here is more from Motor Trend:

The Highlander doesn't steer or handle any better than it accelerates. Steering feel is numb and vague, leading to lots of frequent corrections as you navigate winding roads. Toyota's pillow-soft suspension tuning isolates passengers from most of the rough stuff going on underneath, but it's prone to roll hard in corners and float over bumps, prompting some comparisons to Toyota's Sienna minivan.

The Telluride, though not faultless, is the far superior drive of the two. The most impressive part about it is how well balanced it feels. Its suspension is firm without being punishing; it handles smartly, with good feedback and feel; and there's none of the tail-wagging-the-dog sensation that so many of the front-drive-based vehicles in this segment exhibit. Despite being nowhere near a sporty SUV, the Kia nevertheless manages to be confidence-inspiring on a good road.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Somehow I believe the customers buying Toyotas in 2020 have the same mindset as the customers in the seventies who always got a Ford or Chevy because they wouldn't touch a foreign car. Brand loyalty is very strong today, as it was in the past.

Toyota and Honda don't have to try very hard with all that huge customer base from the past. The Koreans are the new kid on the block and they want to move up. We, the customers, we all benefit from this competition. Welcome to Capitalism at its best.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:46 PM

This is a copy and paste from the online edition of Motor Trend

3-Row SUVs: Best And Worst

9th Place Volkswagen Atlas
It's plenty spacious but has a ride that will make kids carsick. VW needs to improve its family SUV's suspension.

8th Place Ford Explorer
It's new to market, but the Ford seems like it was built ages ago. Its price ladder doesn't speak well to value.

7th Place Mazda CX-9
Great power, ride, and handling, but that's not why folks buy people haulers. It's short of the traits that make a true family vehicle.

6th Place Chevrolet Traverse
A strong SUV just three years ago, the Traverse has suffered at the hands of the newer players in the segment. A rental car feel at a high price.

5th Place Toyota Highlander
The segment sales leader arrived with a cool new design, but a cramped third row and a thrashy powertrain hurt.

4th Place Hyundai Palisade
A smart value, the Palisade raises eyebrows at school plays and soccer practice. Ride is stiff for kids, though.

3rd Place Honda Pilot
The smartly packaged Pilot scores highly with its responsive suspension and direct steering feel.

2nd Place Subaru Ascent
It's oddly styled, but once you see how spacious and capable it is, the Ascent checks many boxes. Plus: value.

1st Place Kia Telluride
Eye-catching design, an elegant interior, and excellent value. The Telluride doesn't disappoint. A class above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia