Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 01:14 PM

12,527 posts, read 9,615,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve never sat in the back seat of my wife’s Kona (2019). It’s just my wife and I so we’re always in the roomy front seat. Recent went to the hardware store for a pretty big purchase. We folded down the back seat and slid in a new toilet in a box, a new hood vent, and various other smaller items. Wife didn’t think they would fit. They did fit. Couldn’t do that with my 2015 Elantra nor her previous car, a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Because of her health she rarely drives. Though my Elantra is 6 years old I only recently passed 45,000 miles.
Bulky items definitely fit much better into an SUV, even smaller ones, than they do in a coupe or sedan. Also dogs go much better into the cargo area of an SUV, especially if it has rubber armor, than they do in the back seat of a coupe or sedan, and that goes double if they are wet and muddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:04 AM

17,637 posts, read 17,730,526 times
Making last payment on my 2015 Hyundai Elantra. Wife wants me to trade it in at the start of next year for a 2022 Hyundai Kona. She really had a difficult time getting out of my Elantra the last time she rode in my car. She also now has difficulty getting in and out if she’s required to drive my car. She doesn’t have such issues with the Kona. Will try to option it on the same level as her car, SEL with 2.0L engine.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 AM

Looked up the upcoming 2022 Hyundai Kona refresh. Most important change is the transmission which goes from 6 speed auto on base engine model to Hyundai’s IVT, their version of CVT which has been on the Kia Forte, Kia Rio, Hyundai Venue, Hyundai Elantra, and Hyundai Accent. I plan on getting a model with Hyundai’s Blue Link mainly for the service reminders based upon driving conditions and miles driven. This should help me to remember to have the IVT serviced as needed to maintain their warranty.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:54 AM

12,527 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
Looked up the upcoming 2022 Hyundai Kona refresh. Most important change is the transmission which goes from 6 speed auto on base engine model to Hyundai’s IVT, their version of CVT which has been on the Kia Forte, Kia Rio, Hyundai Venue, Hyundai Elantra, and Hyundai Accent. I plan on getting a model with Hyundai’s Blue Link mainly for the service reminders based upon driving conditions and miles driven. This should help me to remember to have the IVT serviced as needed to maintain their warranty.
Totally agree on wanting to be on the right side of the line at all times when it comes to maintenance - saving money on maintenance is "penny-wise, pound-foolish". I know that Jatco supplied CVTs to Nissan for years that had design/quality issues - some people extrapolate from that that CVTs are no good. But Honda, Toyota and Subaru developed their own CVTs and they did that well, and those are just as reliable as conventional transmissions. I put 125K on my Accord with CVT and it was operating like new when I traded it in.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,871,862 times
Well, I guess there is a new recall for some of the Nu 2.0 Kona engines. Better check your VINs.

This was expected as I caved in and bought a new Hyundai Tucson 2.0 (2021 Model). It was one of the most difficult car purchases as there is a supply/demand mismatch and it is a wild world out there. The only reason I could get some discounts were the 2022 totally redesigned Tucson showing up at the dealerships.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:02 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,440,979 times
I'm glad I found this thread and all the positive reviews as I am looking at getting a Kona for my wife. As we driver our cars over 200,000 miles I will never own a CTV, even the ones made by Toyota and Honda have simply not show to be as reliable and long lasting as a standard transmission. So despite being a very loyal Honda and Toyota customer I see no reason to invest in a car that simply won't match the durability of previous versions now that they have CTVs.

But I was curious about the Kona. It really does not come with a spare tire? What were they thinking? I have found space savers online, can I assume there is a storage space below the back end like every other car? Or is there no place to put the spare?

Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm glad I found this thread and all the positive reviews as I am looking at getting a Kona for my wife. As we driver our cars over 200,000 miles I will never own a CTV, even the ones made by Toyota and Honda have simply not show to be as reliable and long lasting as a standard transmission. So despite being a very loyal Honda and Toyota customer I see no reason to invest in a car that simply won't match the durability of previous versions now that they have CTVs.

But I was curious about the Kona. It really does not come with a spare tire? What were they thinking? I have found space savers online, can I assume there is a storage space below the back end like every other car? Or is there no place to put the spare?
1. I’ve seen conflicting reports on the 2022 Kona. Some reports say Hyundai’s IVT while others say 6 speed auto transmission. I’m hoping they stick with the 6 speed auto. The turbo model has the dual clutch transmission.
2. My wife’s Kona has a spare tire under a storage area in the back. Some Hyundai/Kia models (like my 2015 Elantra) came with a compressor and a sealant spray (like Fix-A-Flat) but a traditional spare tire and Jack was available. It was a weight and fuel saving measure. Because of my wife’s health we have a road side assistance plan. She is 4 feet 10 inches tall, has had both knees replaced, and has had 3 spinal surgeries and she’s only 52. I work rotating shifts at the hospital. Because of my job I can’t leave the hospital until a replacement shows up to cover my shift. If something happens I can’t go change her tire.

3. The base engine is smooth and offers enough performance for the average driver. Wife will sometimes put it in sport mode to enter an interstate highway. I made it up to 70 mph before merging without sport mode.
4. Stepping up to a certain level got us a good sounding Infinity stereo and Hyundai’s Blue Link (similar to OnStar). For us it’s helped save money because it tracks driving and uses that to notify you when service is time. Wife hardly ever drives so service is needed infrequently. My next vehicle will have Blue Link. With my schedule at work it’s getting hard to remember some of the routine service. This will help with that.
5. Buying new gets you their 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. Research area dealerships and customer satisfaction after the sale for service. Some dealerships stand behind their product and truly try to help the customer while others will rip you off. If buying new look into any accessories available for your vehicle that you may want added as part of the purchase. Things like a hood protective film, rear bumper protective film, all weather floor mats, and other items may be available.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:10 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,440,979 times
Quote:
1. I’ve seen conflicting reports on the 2022 Kona. Some reports say Hyundai’s IVT while others say 6 speed auto transmission. I’m hoping they stick with the 6 speed auto. The turbo model has the dual clutch transmission.
2. My wife’s Kona has a spare tire under a storage area in the back. Some Hyundai/Kia models (like my 2015 Elantra) came with a compressor and a sealant spray (like Fix-A-Flat) but a traditional spare tire and Jack was available. It was a weight and fuel saving measure. Because of my wife’s health we have a road side assistance plan. She is 4 feet 10 inches tall, has had both knees replaced, and has had 3 spinal surgeries and she’s only 52. I work rotating shifts at the hospital. Because of my job I can’t leave the hospital until a replacement shows up to cover my shift. If something happens I can’t go change her tire.

3. The base engine is smooth and offers enough performance for the average driver. Wife will sometimes put it in sport mode to enter an interstate highway. I made it up to 70 mph before merging without sport mode.
4. Stepping up to a certain level got us a good sounding Infinity stereo and Hyundai’s Blue Link (similar to OnStar). For us it’s helped save money because it tracks driving and uses that to notify you when service is time. Wife hardly ever drives so service is needed infrequently. My next vehicle will have Blue Link. With my schedule at work it’s getting hard to remember some of the routine service. This will help with that.
5. Buying new gets you their 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. Research area dealerships and customer satisfaction after the sale for service. Some dealerships stand behind their product and truly try to help the customer while others will rip you off. If buying new look into any accessories available for your vehicle that you may want added as part of the purchase. Things like a hood protective film, rear bumper protective film, all weather floor mats, and other items may be available.
Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified, I buy used and I am looking for something around 2018-2019. Glad to hear there is a space for a jack and spare, I'm getting those for sure. I have no interest in a turbo as again I plan on this car going 200,000 miles.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:33 AM

4,242 posts, read 949,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Well, I guess there is a new recall for some of the Nu 2.0 Kona engines. Better check your VINs.

This was expected as I caved in and bought a new Hyundai Tucson 2.0 (2021 Model). It was one of the most difficult car purchases as there is a supply/demand mismatch and it is a wild world out there. The only reason I could get some discounts were the 2022 totally redesigned Tucson showing up at the dealerships.
Consumer Reports states that Konas manufactured after June 30, 2020 are NOT included in the recall.

Hope that info holds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia