Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 10:12 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times

Advertisements

That is an interesting review Driver 47; I had a 2010 Mazda CX-9 and was pretty roomy. Wife really likes the Kona. Once when we were shopping for a Tucson, the dealer had me drive the Kona from one lot to another and it was actually a fun car. But when I tried to get in the rear sit, I couldn't fit. I am 6 ft tall, thin, but with unusually long legs. What is your experience with the rear seat access/comfort?

Also, since Hyundai's list of engines with bearing issues is getting lengthier, I am worried. I have a 2013 Sonata with the Theta II engine that burns plenty of oil. Going in for an oil consumption test soon and hoping for a new engine. Have a 2016 Veloster turbo with the Gamma engine that does not burn oil at 65K miles, but seems like it is going on the recall list. Shied away from buying the Tucson at this point, looking at the Rogue vs CX-5, used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 PM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
That is an interesting review Driver 47; I had a 2010 Mazda CX-9 and was pretty roomy. Wife really likes the Kona. Once when we were shopping for a Tucson, the dealer had me drive the Kona from one lot to another and it was actually a fun car. But when I tried to get in the rear sit, I couldn't fit. I am 6 ft tall, thin, but with unusually long legs. What is your experience with the rear seat access/comfort?
Thanks ! Actually I've never tried the back seat. If you couldn't fit in it I aint even gonna try. I'm 6' 8"
We got the car as a commuter car for my wife when we wore out the Mazda. I can't drive anymore so I'm just a passenger.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:56 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:

Also, since Hyundai's list of engines with bearing issues is getting lengthier, I am worried. I have a 2013 Sonata with the Theta II engine that burns plenty of oil. Going in for an oil consumption test soon and hoping for a new engine. Have a 2016 Veloster turbo with the Gamma engine that does not burn oil at 65K miles, but seems like it is going on the recall list. Shied away from buying the Tucson at this point, looking at the Rogue vs CX-5, used.
I’ve never sat in the back seat of my wife’s Kona (2019). It’s just my wife and I so we’re always in the roomy front seat. Recent went to the hardware store for a pretty big purchase. We folded down the back seat and slid in a new toilet in a box, a new hood vent, and various other smaller items. Wife didn’t think they would fit. They did fit. Couldn’t do that with my 2015 Elantra nor her previous car, a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Because of her health she rarely drives. Though my Elantra is 6 years old I only recently passed 45,000 miles.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:04 PM

714 posts, read 721,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A few months ago my wife purchased a new mid level Hyundai Kona (midlevel in package and options). She has the base engine and transmission. Wife is 4 feet 10 inches tall with health problems (spinal problems and arthritis in both knees) and is 51 years old. She finds it easy to get in and out the driver’s seat. The seat feels more comfortable than her previous car, a 2007 Chrysler Sebring Touring. Though it has a torsion beam rear suspension, she finds its smoother over bumps than her previous car. Though her previous car had a larger and more powerful engine than the Kona, the Kona feels quicker in acceleration. It feels faster than its power and torque numbers would have you believe for a crossover. The rear seat folds almost fully flat for good cargo room if the need arises. So far she’s been averaging 28 mpg (dashboard display). Most of her driving is around town and she tends to avoid major roads by passing through back roads and subdivisions so mostly stop and go travel. We live in south Louisiana and so she had the windows tinted within the state’s legal limits. So far the only problem she encountered is a flat tire thanks to road debris. She did get some dealer accessories. She got the factory all weather floor mats (along with the standard carpeted mats) as well as the protective film over the front hood and rear bumper. Her factory stereo is an aftermarket brand, Infinity, and I’m kind of jealous of how it sounds compared to my car’s stereo. Her stereo has access to local HD frequencies so she’s getting the same stations I am but at a higher sound clarity than I’m receiving. My stereo sounds good when listening to CDs or satellite radio but sounds muffled on regular radio compared to her HD radio.

I’m glad the car has lane departure warnings and back up camera. Now I don’t have to warn her when she’s wandering outside the lane. The car does it for me. She has hit or nearly hit vehicles in parking lots when going in reverse. At her height it’s impossible to see vehicles behind you by merely turning to look over the right shoulder. The screen angle makes it visible in all light conditions. My car’s screen is angled with the dash so is difficult to see in bright sunlight conditions. Because of her health, size, and my rotating work schedule she has opted to subscribe to Hyundai’s BlueLink service. She’s gotten compliments on her vehicle’s looks. Some people who weren’t familiar with the vehicle thought it was a higher level brand than Hyundai.
Thank you for this! I am 4'9", currently driving a Corolla and I can't see a damn thing. So I'm looking for a small SUV that's easy to get in and out of and has a higher driving position. I'm also looking at the Kia Niro, which right now has a leg up because it is available in a hybrid. At one time I never would have even looked at Hyundai or Kia, but their quality has really improved.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Thank you for this! I am 4'9", currently driving a Corolla and I can't see a damn thing. So I'm looking for a small SUV that's easy to get in and out of and has a higher driving position. I'm also looking at the Kia Niro, which right now has a leg up because it is available in a hybrid. At one time I never would have even looked at Hyundai or Kia, but their quality has really improved.
She does have a gel seat cushion to help her see better. She does still find it easy to get in and out. The overall length and width is roughly the size of a modern compact class sedan so parking is fairly easy. We also considered the Kia Niro but wife preferred the overall exterior appearance of the Kona. She rarely drives so fuel economy compared to hybrid wasn’t an issue.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,961 times
I just bought a Hyundai Kona SEL Plus. Shorty here too, and I'm really pleased with how easy it is to get in and out of. So fun to drive and I'm having the best time figuring out all the bells and whistles. While I am not a cold weather fan, I almost can't wait for winter to start using the heated seats

Old 04-19-2021, 07:14 AM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
The Kona is an appealing car - looks nice, and practical, not too expensive. Consumer Reports likes it, they have it #2 in the category, and I seem to see a good number of them on the roads around here.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I just bought a Hyundai Kona SEL Plus. Shorty here too, and I'm really pleased with how easy it is to get in and out of. So fun to drive and I'm having the best time figuring out all the bells and whistles. While I am not a cold weather fan, I almost can't wait for winter to start using the heated seats
From the house to the stop sign is less than a half mile. I can feel the seats heating up before I get to the stop sign. Wife has nerve damage from multiple spinal surgeries. She has her seat on high heat while I’m fine with low heat for south Louisiana winter. Car heater also doesn’t take long to heat up. Not long ago we bought a new toilet, hood vent for stove, and several other items. They all fit in the Kona.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:30 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve never sat in the back seat of my wife’s Kona (2019). It’s just my wife and I so we’re always in the roomy front seat. Recent went to the hardware store for a pretty big purchase. We folded down the back seat and slid in a new toilet in a box, a new hood vent, and various other smaller items. Wife didn’t think they would fit. They did fit. Couldn’t do that with my 2015 Elantra nor her previous car, a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Because of her health she rarely drives. Though my Elantra is 6 years old I only recently passed 45,000 miles.
We were at the dealership buying a Hyundai Tucson and sine they make you wait, we had time to check the Kona better. If I am sitting in the front seat (6 ft with long legs), then only short people will fit in the rear. Even if the driver is shorter, my knees were hitting the front seat. Was possible to fit but definitely not comfy for long rides.

OTOH, buying a car nowadays is a pain. The used prices were higher than the new. I was able to get a decent deal on a 2021 Tucson as the 2022's have arrived and everyone is drooling over them. Closed the deal via e-mail, showed up, checked the car and paid for it. The 2022 is nice but a full redesign and I am not willing to gamble on a new redesign. The 2021 Value has pretty much everything we wanted.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We were at the dealership buying a Hyundai Tucson and sine they make you wait, we had time to check the Kona better. If I am sitting in the front seat (6 ft with long legs), then only short people will fit in the rear. Even if the driver is shorter, my knees were hitting the front seat. Was possible to fit but definitely not comfy for long rides.

OTOH, buying a car nowadays is a pain. The used prices were higher than the new. I was able to get a decent deal on a 2021 Tucson as the 2022's have arrived and everyone is drooling over them. Closed the deal via e-mail, showed up, checked the car and paid for it. The 2022 is nice but a full redesign and I am not willing to gamble on a new redesign. The 2021 Value has pretty much everything we wanted.
Wife is 4 feet 10 inches and I’m 5 feet 5 miles inches. What’s amazing is the rear seat room is better in my 2015 Hyundai Elantra than the Kona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia