Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,976,073 times

Advertisements

I finally broke down and bought a Palisade. Really hard to find one to test drive. Dealers wanted over MSRP. I finally found a guy that could get one from out of state in the trim level and color I wanted. Supply is not keeping up with demand.
We get a lot of compliments on it. Even by non-Hyundai people. A couple quirks that I’ve noticed that all the reviews don’t seem to cover:
1) interior lights up very well at night. It’s a very welcoming interior. However why are the buttons for the overhead map lights the only ones that don’t light up?
2) center console and cup holders don’t have a light at all. Not a big deal, but surely they could have thrown a couple in.
3) traffic on the nav is run by HD radio instead of satellite. There’s no subscription which is nice but very few places have HD radio based traffic vs satellite.
4) digital gauge display is great, but shares limited information for such a huge display. Would be nice if they took more advantage of the large screen like Volvo, Audi, and Volkswagen does.
5) mirrors don’t till down when you back up. Seems like an easy feature to add that’s just some lines of software code. Not sure why they left it out.

A couple interesting positives.
1) hatch opens just by standing next to it. No foot waving required.
2) hatch is able to open at different speed settings as well as height. Never seen that before.
3) one of the few cars that allows you to pause the navigation without shutting it down. Like when you just want to deviate from the trip and get some gas or something you don’t have to hear all the “please make a u-turn” commands.
4) redundant buttons for most functions
5) a physical “favorites” button that allows you customize whatever you want it to do.

Overall Hyundai has really stepped up their game.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:01 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,768,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
"Yes yes yes we've heard it all over before over and over so please spare us another round."

Does that phrase sound familiar to you? Maybe you should practice what you preach and stop the endless bumping of your own thread that you started over a year ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...da-down-4.html
it's good to hear from actual consumers. but according to some, you can't buy this car because it's too hot. can't even get into one for less than $150k they say.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:03 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,768,308 times
Quote:
Except you are the only one talking. This thread dies and then you bump it again later to keep it going.
Every vehicle has hundreds of reviews online or on youtube but you don't see other threads constantly being bumped by the original poster with each and every new review they can find to keep a thread going.

I stick around this thread because of the blatant misrepresentations and exaggerations you post about these products, and as someone who admittedly doesn't like these products or South Korean companies I feel like chiming in.

So how about we both admit this horse has been beaten to death and move on? (You don't bump the thread anymore and I won't respond to it.)
kinda weird that some people go post on the toyota forum, and then complain when anyone talks bad about korean cars. and I am totally with you on the bumping thing. strange.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:08 PM

7,510 posts, read 7,230,935 times
Congrats!

How did you decide between that and the Telluride? Which trim level and color?

Yeah, it is amazing as you say how strong the demand is still for both these vehicles.

Kind of cool on your comments about how the hatch opens; sounds like that is definitely a step ahead of the competition and more practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I finally broke down and bought a Palisade. Really hard to find one to test drive. Dealers wanted over MSRP. I finally found a guy that could get one from out of state in the trim level and color I wanted. Supply is not keeping up with demand.

We get a lot of compliments on it. Even by non-Hyundai people. A couple quirks that I’ve noticed that all the reviews don’t seem to cover:
1) interior lights up very well at night. It’s a very welcoming interior. However why are the buttons for the overhead map lights the only ones that don’t light up?
2) center console and cup holders don’t have a light at all. Not a big deal, but surely they could have thrown a couple in.
3) traffic on the nav is run by HD radio instead of satellite. There’s no subscription which is nice but very few places have HD radio based traffic vs satellite.
4) digital gauge display is great, but shares limited information for such a huge display. Would be nice if they took more advantage of the large screen like Volvo, Audi, and Volkswagen does.
5) mirrors don’t till down when you back up. Seems like an easy feature to add that’s just some lines of software code. Not sure why they left it out.

A couple interesting positives.
1) hatch opens just by standing next to it. No foot waving required.
2) hatch is able to open at different speed settings as well as height. Never seen that before.
3) one of the few cars that allows you to pause the navigation without shutting it down. Like when you just want to deviate from the trip and get some gas or something you don’t have to hear all the “please make a u-turn” commands.
4) redundant buttons for most functions
5) a physical “favorites” button that allows you customize whatever you want it to do.

Overall Hyundai has really stepped up their game.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:43 PM

518 posts, read 404,047 times
Quote:
These things sound like they are minor. All of my Toyota's always had just the drivers side window switches light up, the passenger side had no bulb. Traffic by HD radio...a bit odd.

Congrats on your Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
kinda weird that some people go post on the toyota forum, and then complain when anyone talks bad about korean cars. and I am totally with you on the bumping thing. strange.
I don't think they even own a Hyundai...or a Toyota.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Congrats!

How did you decide between that and the Telluride? Which trim level and color?

Yeah, it is amazing as you say how strong the demand is still for both these vehicles.

Kind of cool on your comments about how the hatch opens; sounds like that is definitely a step ahead of the competition and more practical.
The decision for the Palisade was easy. I found a dealer who could get one while the Kia dealer couldn’t find a Telluride at all. I asked about the supply and demand situation and their thought was Kia and Hyundai misjudged the market and set their production schedule too low. Then Covid forced the factories and suppliers to shut down and made the backlog worse. I wanted the white metallic color. Looks good with the satin trim. Had I gone with a Telluride, I would have opted for Moss Green.

Strangely it seems across all car brands during my search this year that the top trim levels are in far higher demand.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:00 AM

7,510 posts, read 7,230,935 times
Yes, still hard to believe the amount of demand for both of these vehicles though not surprising given the amount of value.

I love the new trim level they added for 2021.

These vehicles are definitely best in their class.

Quote:
The decision for the Palisade was easy. I found a dealer who could get one while the Kia dealer couldn’t find a Telluride at all. I asked about the supply and demand situation and their thought was Kia and Hyundai misjudged the market and set their production schedule too low. Then Covid forced the factories and suppliers to shut down and made the backlog worse. I wanted the white metallic color. Looks good with the satin trim. Had I gone with a Telluride, I would have opted for Moss Green.

Strangely it seems across all car brands during my search this year that the top trim levels are in far higher demand.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:58 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,941,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Yes, still hard to believe the amount of demand for both of these vehicles though not surprising given the amount of value.

I love the new trim level they added for 2021.

These vehicles are definitely best in their class.
Yeah, there is so much demand the Telluride is being outsold by darn near every major competitor, and even before COVID hit the sales were lower than their production plans. C’mon Reston stop exaggerating.....

(Don’t give me the “I can’t find one” excuse, either, as every OEM has fought with COVID inventory shortages over the past few months. There are hundreds of Tellurides and Palisades all over right now, a simple search on AutoTrader will yield numerous results. Dealers will tell you they can’t find one for you because they don’t make much, if any, money when they have to buy one from another dealer.)

Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there is so much demand the Telluride is being outsold by darn near every major competitor, and even before COVID hit the sales were lower than their production plans. C’mon Reston stop exaggerating.....

(Don’t give me the “I can’t find one” excuse, either, as every OEM has fought with COVID inventory shortages over the past few months. There are hundreds of Tellurides and Palisades all over right now, a simple search on AutoTrader will yield numerous results. Dealers will tell you they can’t find one for you because they don’t make much, if any, money when they have to buy one from another dealer.)
I can attest to the fact there really is no inventory right now. The first dealer I spoke to laughed at me when I asked for MSRP . He said “here’s my competitors, if they can beat my price, I’ll match it by $500. Needless to say, his “competitors” were all on the same page with over charging (they probably all play golf together). Forget Kia. People that ordered a Telluride a year ago haven’t received their’s yet. I eventually had to go out of state for a dealer who in turn went of of state to get the trim level and color I wanted. This was one of the biggest hassles in car buying I’ve ever been through. Make no mistake, the inventory shortage is real and demand is high. I don’t care what Autotrader says.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:31 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,941,502 times
Quote:
I can attest to the fact there really is no inventory right now. The first dealer I spoke to laughed at me when I asked for MSRP . He said “here’s my competitors, if they can beat my price, I’ll match it by $500. Needless to say, his “competitors” were all on the same page with over charging (they probably all play golf together). Forget Kia. People that ordered a Telluride a year ago haven’t received their’s yet. I eventually had to go out of state for a dealer who in turn went of of state to get the trim level and color I wanted. This was one of the biggest hassles in car buying I’ve ever been through. Make no mistake, the inventory shortage is real and demand is high. I don’t care what Autotrader says.
I work with several dealer groups who have Hyundai and Kia franchises, and while supply is tight on many vehicles these days, Tellurides and Palisades are just as readily available as most other vehicles in that segment.

Sounds to me like you were getting some bad info. Heck, the Kia dealer 2 miles from my house has 20 of them sitting right in the front line. The whole “if you can beat my price” game is a common Hyundai/Kia tactic given they are usually the cheapest of their competitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia