Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 42,514 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks.

I'll make this as condensed as possible as your time is valuable.

About a year ago, I bought a used 2013 Soul from a Hyundai dealer locally with about 59K on it.

With 63K on it, I've been told it has a blown head gasket by my very honest mechanic.

Not only that but the vehicle had blown the head gasket before and was apparently repaired poorly prior to my purchase. There is no evidence of who repaired it.

The repair says my garage is a used engine (since parts of it were previously shot) with an estimate of about $4300.

Not only that but there was NO mention of any of this on the CarFax prior to purchase.

Not only that but the extended warranty company refuses to cover this citing "overheat damage."

They do not respond to my emails or phone calls either.

I'll be heading to the dealership later this week to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile, I have no vehicle and a payment schedule for a non-driveable car plus a business that demands regular USPS runs.

Has anyone any thought on my predicament other than filing with state consumer protection for both dealership & warranty company?

Should KIA, the company be involved in this? If so, who/where is the best place to start?

If you have additional questions to ask me, I'm happy to answer.

You hear these stories and figure it'll never happen to you.

Well, here I am and it really stinks.

TIA

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
$4300 to fix a head gasket on a Soul? Get a new mechanic

https://repairpal.com/estimator/kia/...placement-cost

Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
If the original repair was done under 60k miles I’d assume a Kia dealer did it under factory warranty (unless for some reason they denied it due to neglect).I’d contact Kia and see if they’ll give you that info. If in fact the 2nd failure was caused by a poor repair you may have a case with them and/or the dealer that did it.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM

No. $4300 for a "new" engine. "Fixing" a damaged engine with a previously blown and poorly repaired head gasket is an exercise in futility.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Thanks for this reply. Again, there's no record of the original repair but maybe KIA will see this as a chance to be customer supportive. But I need to run this by "my" dealer first and that's what I hope to do tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiaSteve View Post
No. $4300 for a "new" engine. "Fixing" a damaged engine with a previously blown and poorly repaired head gasket is an exercise in futility.
I’d still get another estimate

You can get a low mileage engine all day long for $1200

I certainly wouldn’t drop $5k in a vehicle that’s only worth 8 running

Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I would keep it together with bailing-wire and duct-tape before sinking that kind of money
into a 2013 Kia.

I would seriously consider having an independent-shop evaluate your engine for an engine-repair or a used engine install.....should be a lot cheaper than the dealership.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
First thing is to cancel your useless extended warranty and get a refund for the remaining coverage, obviously it did you no good at all.

A quick ebay search yielded low mileage engines for $1800 and under. Your trusted mechanic isn't that trustworthy I'm afraid.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Now get THIS.

I just ran the carfax. I bought this car in Feb 2017. For April 2017 there is a REPAIR fix for a blown head gasket from a garage 30 miles away that I never heard of.

Needless to say, this is BS x 1000 if you're following where this going.

And I will look into the engine price and find out through my shop why the repair price is what it is.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:59 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiaSteve View Post
Thanks for this reply. Again, there's no record of the original repair but maybe KIA will see this as a chance to be customer supportive. But I need to run this by "my" dealer first and that's what I hope to do tomorrow.

I'd start with the dealership you bought it from. Was this a "CPO" purchase?

I was going to say that you wouldn't be, from their standpoint, a Kia customer.. However.. Yeah, if you bought it CPO you certainly would be. Even if it wasn't CPO, a good case could be made.

At least now you know why the original owner sold it.

To have a head gasket fail at under 60k miles is.. Strange.. What is stranger here is that some independent shop repaired it.. That.. is strange. Kia has the 10/100k.. A head gasket failure should have been covered. In fact.. I would think it would still be covered.. Or does the Kia 10/100 only go to original owner?

Did the Carfax say there was more than 1 owner before you?

None of this is really adding up to me.. Including the fact.. if there's internal damage.. I'm assuming here that you must have had an overheat? Is that the starting point from you? Overheated on you and that's what led you to your garage?

The carfax.. I wouldn't lean on that too heavily.. First, the report of the gasket repair would be on the repairing shop.. It would be difficult, even if the dealership provided you with the Carfax, to pin any responsibility on the repair showing up on it after you purchased it. You'd have a stronger case if the carfax listed the repair before you bought the car, but after they ran the report. This part of it, I don't think gets you anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia