Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

I have a 04' Honda Accord that I bought new and has always ran great. I have never overheated, do regular oil changes, etc.... My boyfriend drove to a friends and when he went to leave the car made a "clink" sound and wouldn't start. My local mechanic told me earlier today that I need a head gasket (which cant afford and freaking out) and said he would call around for a price. He calls back and tells me that I need a new engine, although he can't tell me what might be wrong with it, but says that there may be engine damage and replacing the gasket with engine damage would even cost me more. He quoted me $3100.00. OMG!!!!! WTH does this sound right to anyone???? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Sounds like he thinks it may be cheaper to just replace to engine. Sounds like he is unsure of the total damage, and does not what to waste his time and you money, replacing the gasket, when there could be more underlying damage.

Get a second opinion.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:36 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Sounds like he thinks it may be cheaper to just replace to engine. Sounds like he is unsure of the total damage, and does not what to waste his time and you money, replacing the gasket, when there could be more underlying damage.

Get a second opinion.
Agreed.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Did anyone check to find out if the loud 'clink' noise and no start might be a broken timing belt?
A loud clink and no start is not a head gasket problem.
btw- you don't get a 'new' engine for $3100, you get a used 'replacement' engine.
If you spend $3100 for an engine, the car is still a 04 Honda.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I bought a conversion van that the buyer described as a siezed motor. He said it went clunk and that was all she wrote. Bought it for $500
Diagnosis? A $125 starter. The bendix got stuck in the flywheel and the engine wouldn't turn. Sold it to a buddy who needed a family car that could carry 3 kids and their crap.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Did anyone check to find out if the loud 'clink' noise and no start might be a broken timing belt?
A loud clink and no start is not a head gasket problem.
btw- you don't get a 'new' engine for $3100, you get a used 'replacement' engine.
If you spend $3100 for an engine, the car is still a 04 Honda.
+1000

From what little you said, I would not trust that mechanic. Do you have any kind of tow service, AAA, or through insurance company, that you could get it to a dealer?

If your car was not overheating, had coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant, or had a serious lack of power, then there was no reason to suspect a bad headgasket in the first place. It is however a very easy job when you compare it to the kind of work being done and how much labor they can charge you for.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Get a second opinion.
For the type of coin the OP is talking about, I would also get a 3rd and 4th opinion.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:24 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,549,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchurchill View Post
I have a 04' Honda Accord that I bought new and has always ran great. I have never overheated, do regular oil changes, etc.... My boyfriend drove to a friends and when he went to leave the car made a "clink" sound and wouldn't start. My local mechanic told me earlier today that I need a head gasket (which cant afford and freaking out) and said he would call around for a price. He calls back and tells me that I need a new engine, although he can't tell me what might be wrong with it, but says that there may be engine damage and replacing the gasket with engine damage would even cost me more. He quoted me $3100.00. OMG!!!!! WTH does this sound right to anyone???? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP!!!!!!!
Ok, usually 1 post people in this forum section only last long enough to get some information and they vanish, but if you happen to read this, do you have a V6 or 4 cylinder? The V6 has a timing belt which could break and give a no start. The 4 cylinder has a timing chain which is less likely to malfunction unless oil pressure is very low. One way to check whether or not there is a head gasket issue would be to check the oil and see if it looks milky or streaky. If the oil looks like this, it means coolant is getting into the oil passages. Aside from a visual inspection, you might want to get a compression test or ask the mechanic if he already ran one. If so, get the readings from the test (a good read is about 130-135 psi).

Get more details from the mechanic or get a second opinion. EDIT: Reading the comments above, I guess everyone pretty much agrees on a second opinion, at the very least!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Ok, usually 1 post people in this forum section only last long enough to get some information and they vanish, but if you happen to read this, do you have a V6 or 4 cylinder? The V6 has a timing belt which could break and give a no start. The 4 cylinder has a timing chain which is less likely to malfunction unless oil pressure is very low. One way to check whether or not there is a head gasket issue would be to check the oil and see if it looks milky or streaky. If the oil looks like this, it means coolant is getting into the oil passages. Aside from a visual inspection, you might want to get a compression test or ask the mechanic if he already ran one. If so, get the readings from the test (a good read is about 130-135 psi).

Get more details from the mechanic or get a second opinion. EDIT: Reading the comments above, I guess everyone pretty much agrees on a second opinion, at the very least!
Yes. It's very possible for a blown head gasket to cause an engine to be totally ruined, if run too long after the coolant go into the oil, but that's not easy to tell without taking it apart. The trade-in value on that, if running, is about what you would pay for a new engine (installed) so it's important to find out for sure just what the problem is before deciding whether to fix it or take it to the scrapyard.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:09 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
yeah, you can hydrolock the engine, but it will require a catastrophic head gasket failure and Hondas are not known for that. Usually it will be slow problem development with concurrent reduction in performance.
Professor G up above asked the right question - is it V6 or 4 cyl? Takes couple hours to do head gasket on a four banger. No need for engine.
That mech sounds like a Dairy Queen type to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive