Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Interested to hear about the reliability of the last generation optima? I'm specifically looking at years 2012, 2013, and 2014. Considering getting a used one as a daily driver as well as to use for longer trips with the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:06 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
I currently own a 2013 Optima LX. It's not the hybrid or turbo charged model. Its reliability is superb compared to any domestic I have ever owned. I haven't had any engine issues, haven't had any issues with it burning oil, and the fuel efficiency really depends on where you get your gas. If you put that cheap crap in, expect to get crappy fuel mileage. My car has always been a solid runner on Shell or anything from Conoco-Phillips associated gas stations. Loves and Pilot, depending on where they get their gasoline from, can get you some distance. The Eco setting is only good for long drives. Don't bother using it if you're driving in the city. It climbs hills like a champ. Just put it into manual shifting mode, downshift a gear or two depending on the grade and how much weight you're hauling, and then shift back to 6th after you've crested the grade. If you do it right, you won't lose any speed. Oh, and make sure to turn off the A/C and cruise control when you're climbing steep grades.

Here is the fuel economy on my most recent long distance drive. This was a drive back home from Oakdale, CA to the Tejas panhandle. I had about 500lbs of camping equipment in the trunk. I'm certain I could have cracked the 44mpg mark if that hadn't been the case.

The fog lights are virtually useless. Even on foggy nights, they don't put down much light. The only time they're useful is during snowy nights. The stereo system is decent. If you're listening to satellite or local radio, the sound quality will sound like it's stuck on mono even though you might have messed around with the settings. The sound quality is also terrible when a CD is in the player. The only way I can get it sounding decent is by putting in a thumb drive. The 15k mileage maintenance was only about $170 or so. As long as you take care of it, it'll be a solid runner and maintenance costs will always be low.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM

65 posts, read 64,389 times
My wife drives a 2013 Optima...not sure on the submodel, but it has the Turbo in it. Twice, it has gone in for major service: once for the turbo needing to be replaced and the other time for the high pressure fuel pump going out. We read that the same issues happened to other owners of the Optima.

If you ever need major warranty work on it, they will strongly suggest that you provide them with service records so that they can submit a strong case to KIA corporate to get warranty work approved.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM

114 posts, read 359,263 times
We have its repair frequency as 73% of the average (so somewhat better than average):

Reliability by Model Generation | TrueDelta

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
We have a 2013 Sonata the twin sister and at 50K miles it has been fine. Just needed tires a few months ago. I do the oil changes and transmission oil change.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Stay away from it, it has the same faulty engine that's in the 11-14 Sonata. Hyundai and Kia was forced to extend the warranty on the short block to 120k miles due to class action lawsuits. Many engines seize up before 100k miles, but many more will seize up just after the extended warranty is over. Right now Hyundai can't make the replacement engines fast enough, and some people are waiting months for a new engine.

I own a 2012 Sonata, but if I need to go on a long trip I take a rental. If my engine were to spin a bearing while 1k miles from home it would be a major headache.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 01-31-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Stay away from it, it has the same faulty engine that's in the 11-14 Sonata. Hyundai and Kia was forced to extend the warranty on the short block to 120k miles due to class action lawsuits. Many engines seize up before 100k miles, but many more will seize up just after the extended warranty is over. Right now Hyundai can't make the replacement engines fast enough, and some people are waiting months for a new engine.

I own a 2012 Sonata, but if I need to go on a long trip I take a rental. If my engine were to spin a bearing while 1k miles from home it would be a major headache.
Stay away from the optima in general? Or just years 11-14? Which motor? the turbo one?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Stay away from the optima in general? Or just years 11-14? Which motor? the turbo one?
Both the 2.4 and the 2.0T (Theta II) are affected by the spun bearing issue. Hyundai redesigned the engines for the 2015 Sonata, but I don't think the Optima got the new version until the 2016 model year (it was when the horsepower was reduced to 185 for the 2.4 and 250 for the 2.0T).

2013 Kia Optima Engine Blown: 15 Complaints

The 2011 Sonata has the most complaints, but there are a lot more of those on the road, the engine is the same nonetheless, and it's also used in the Kia Sorento, Kia Sportage, and Hyundai Santa Fe Sport.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Engine Seized: 127 Complaints

Oil consumption is also a big problem, and I suspect many of those seized engines were ran dry at some point.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Both the 2.4 and the 2.0T (Theta II) are affected by the spun bearing issue. Hyundai redesigned the engines for the 2015 Sonata, but I don't think the Optima got the new version until the 2016 model year (it was when the horsepower was reduced to 185 for the 2.4 and 250 for the 2.0T).

2013 Kia Optima Engine Blown: 15 Complaints

The 2011 Sonata has the most complaints, but there are a lot more of those on the road, the engine is the same nonetheless, and it's also used in the Kia Sorento, Kia Sportage, and Hyundai Santa Fe Sport.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Engine Seized: 127 Complaints

Oil consumption is also a big problem, and I suspect many of those seized engines were ran dry at some point.
Something tells me these owners weren't taking very good care of their vehicle and were caught being oblivious to the warning signs and sounds. On many of those Optima complaints, they even said they heard a sound coming from the engine but kept driving anyway. Where's the good sense of judgement? Where's the common sense? Who in their right mind keeps on driving with a knocking sound coming from the engine? I do remember reading somewhere that was sent to me by Kia that if I ever hear a knocking sound coming from the motor, pull over, turn it off immediately, and get it towed to the nearest certified dealership shop to have them handle it.

Sucks it happened in the first place. The simple thing is every single make and model from any given company out there has certain issues. They ALL do. Just accept the potential risks of what you're buying and drive on. Before any long distance drives, I do a thorough pre-trip inspection. I don't want issues when I'm far away from home.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 AM

114 posts, read 359,263 times
For what it's worth, this only affects a small percentage of cars. But it's uncommon these days for an engine to have such a problem short of 150,000 miles, and will be very expensive if it happens out of warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia