Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:12 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,904 times

Advertisements

As someone who is interested in a 2012 Kia Optima EX with 110,000 miles, some of these reviews are causing me to dig deeper into the engine issues. The car I'm looking at looks very nice, no visible damage,and the owner says she has every receipt for every service performed on this car. The owner says 95% of the miles are highway miles and says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Oil changes every 3000 miles, yada yada yada.

I'm thinking of driving a couple hours next week to check it out, and having never owned a Kia before would like to know if this particular model has some specific things (besides the aforementioned engine issues) that I should look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
As someone who is interested in a 2012 Kia Optima EX with 110,000 miles, some of these reviews are causing me to dig deeper into the engine issues. The car I'm looking at looks very nice, no visible damage,and the owner says she has every receipt for every service performed on this car. The owner says 95% of the miles are highway miles and says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Oil changes every 3000 miles, yada yada yada.

I'm thinking of driving a couple hours next week to check it out, and having never owned a Kia before would like to know if this particular model has some specific things (besides the aforementioned engine issues) that I should look for?
I think I read where Kia has decided to extend the short block warranty to 15 years and unlimited miles, but check with Kia to be sure. Even if it's covered, it would still be a headache if it seized far from home.

Check the rubber steering coupler by turning the wheel back and forth, if you hear a clunk in the column it needs replacing, and Kia has extended the warranty on that part as well.

Turn the wheel left and right going slowly through a parking lot, listen for any noises coming from the front suspension or struts.

Restart the engine when it's hot, it should start right up. If it seems like there's a long crank time, it usually means the high pressure fuel pump is going bad.

Check the oil pan for seepage.

For the 2.0T, check the turbo oil line for leaks.

The ac compressor is another common failure point, there's some type of internal switch that goes bad. Start the engine and turn on the ac, it should at least start getting cool while the engine is idling. When that switch starts going bad, the compressor won't kick on most times until you start driving or rev the engine.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think I read where Kia has decided to extend the short block warranty to 15 years and unlimited miles, but check with Kia to be sure. Even if it's covered, it would still be a headache if it seized far from home.

Check the rubber steering coupler by turning the wheel back and forth, if you hear a clunk in the column it needs replacing, and Kia has extended the warranty on that part as well.

Turn the wheel left and right going slowly through a parking lot, listen for any noises coming from the front suspension or struts.

Restart the engine when it's hot, it should start right up. If it seems like there's a long crank time, it usually means the high pressure fuel pump is going bad.

Check the oil pan for seepage.

For the 2.0T, check the turbo oil line for leaks.

The ac compressor is another common failure point, there's some type of internal switch that goes bad. Start the engine and turn on the ac, it should at least start getting cool while the engine is idling. When that switch starts going bad, the compressor won't kick on most times until you start driving or rev the engine.
Awesome!! Thank you!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Awesome!! Thank you!
Just a warning Ron: This generation(2011-2014) Sonata/Optima required constant correction of the steering wheel at highway speeds, like a ghost was tugging on the wheel. Having the dealer put it in Sport mode reduced, but not completely eliminated, this problem.

Hyundai just never admitted that their first foray into electric power steering on these cars was a disaster, but 2015-present Sonata/Optimas and Elantra/Fortes no longer have the issue.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Just a warning Ron: This generation(2011-2014) Sonata/Optima required constant correction of the steering wheel at highway speeds, like a ghost was tugging on the wheel. Having the dealer put it in Sport mode reduced, but not completely eliminated, this problem.

Hyundai just never admitted that their first foray into electric power steering on these cars was a disaster, but 2015-present Sonata/Optimas and Elantra/Fortes no longer have the issue.
Thank you so much for this explanation. I test drove an Elantra in 2011 and fought with the thing as I was trying to get on the freeway. The salesman just said, 'oh, it's trying to keep you in the center of the lane". In reality I felt like I was going to fly off the side of the onramp because it was pulling so hard. I was struggling to keep it pointed in the right direction. That did it for me and I crossed Hyundai/Kia off my list. Now I'm soon going to be in the market for a SUV and would like to consider one or the other. After your explanation I think I'll give those brands another try.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

Thank you for telling me this. I think I'll stick with what I know best, which are Honda's.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,594 times
Post 14 and 15 sound a lot like driving the current generation Nissan Versa sedans.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:13 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Interested to hear about the reliability of the last generation optima? I'm specifically looking at years 2012, 2013, and 2014. Considering getting a used one as a daily driver as well as to use for longer trips with the family.
While there are many things I like about my 2014 Optima, safety and environmental concerns exist. I have had gas leaking out of my filler tube, out the bottom of the car, and Kia says they will make no further effort to fix it. Clearly, it is a safety concern when fuels ends up on the ground. While I appreciate other characteristics of a Kia, I will never purchase one again.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:50 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
While there are many things I like about my 2014 Optima, safety and environmental concerns exist. I have had gas leaking out of my filler tube, out the bottom of the car, and Kia says they will make no further effort to fix it. Clearly, it is a safety concern when fuels ends up on the ground. While I appreciate other characteristics of a Kia, I will never purchase one again.
If you have a fuel leak, you should contact NHTSA, EPA, and your state department of environmental quality.

Do you overfill the tank, how does the fuel leak out? Have you taken the car to an independent shop of some repute?

If fuel comes out the bottom, there will be a lot there.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Post 14 and 15 sound a lot like driving the current generation Nissan Versa sedans.
Yeah, like one that was driven over too many curbs and parking lot islands or never got a proper alignment! And was each tire a different pressure?

The 2015 Note(Versa hatch) I rented last year handled quite predictably, with speed sensitive electric steering that firmed up progressively over 20mph. Never had to fight with it to keep in my lane on streets or interstates. Quite the opposite of those 2011-13 Sonatas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia