Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times

Advertisements

I leased a new 2011 Kia Optima EX 2.4 GDI last Saturday (7/2) with 5 miles on the ODO. First Kia I have ever owned, but we bought a new 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe new and had a troublesome 1.5 years of ownership before upgrading.

This thread will serve as a journal for the next few years.

7 days later the car has 380 miles on it. The gas tank is still 1/4 full with the computer showing 140 miles until empty. The computer is showing 32.3MPG with my mountain commute.

The car has a sporty ride and feels well planted. The interior has a high quality feel and the keyless ignition is a nice touch. I love keeping the key fob in my pocket and not ever have to take it out.

Here are some negatives I've found:

- Trunk hinges are not hidden, so you have to arrange things in the trunk around them
- The temp gauge must be selected out of a bunch options in the instrument cluster. This should be located next to the clock in the center
- The OEM tires are loud on various road surfaces.
- I wish you could scroll through all of the Sirius presets (18 total) but you have to go to each SAT mode (6 per mode).

What I've done to the car:
- 20% 3M Window Tint ($170)
- Mud guards ($65)

Some pics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Is that turbo?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Is that turbo?
No, it's the slow poke 200HP 2.4 GDI. I was on a budget with the lease and the turbo was a bit more. Depending on how reliable the 2.0T engine is, I may get one in a couple years if I'm happy with my Optima.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
300 miles it better be still liked and running good.I thought this was going to be something likje10,000 mile trip report.LOL

Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
That's a nice looking ride! I can't believe how far Kia has come...

Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 PM

57 posts, read 50,512 times
Mileage sounds great. It would be good to calculate the MPG when you actually refuel it to see if the computer is giving you the correct reading. Styling is sporty and IMO, more attractive than the sister model the Sonata. Considering you do mountain driving and the advantages that a manual would afford you in terms of engine braking/control, did you consider it? Otherwise how's the automatic in hilly terrain?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
It really is a sharp-looking car, that Optima. At first I didn't like the new Sonata, then I started to like it, then I saw the new Optima, and didn't like the Sonata so much again.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursofa_king View Post
Mileage sounds great. It would be good to calculate the MPG when you actually refuel it to see if the computer is giving you the correct reading. Styling is sporty and IMO, more attractive than the sister model the Sonata. Considering you do mountain driving and the advantages that a manual would afford you in terms of engine braking/control, did you consider it? Otherwise how's the automatic in hilly terrain?
The automatic does fine up and down the grades. I don't like driving stick, so I didn't consider it. But it a manual is only available on the lower model LX. I believe it only gets 1mpg better on highway. If I want to engine brake, I can always put the shifter in manual mode and change the gears.

I like the Optima styling over the Sonata as well, but I do think the Sonata is still a looker. I haven't seen many Optimas on the road (yet) but plenty of Sonatas. So it's nice having a more rare car.

One thing I don't like is that it's an import from Korea. I do wish it was made in the USA but I won't lose any sleep over it. Good news is that the 2012 models will be built in Kia's Georiga plant once the plant gets upgraded.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It really is a sharp-looking car, that Optima. At first I didn't like the new Sonata, then I started to like it, then I saw the new Optima, and didn't like the Sonata so much again.
The new Hyundai Sonata looks like somebody grabbed a hold of the hood and pulled down over part of the grille.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Question Suggestion

I've heard that the tires that come with the car are horrid. Because you're leasing it, have you thought about replacing them with better tires right now? And then when it's time to return the car, re-mount the original tires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia