Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times

Advertisements

Commercial shows an Optima backing into a garage with really scary music, but thanks to a camera, the car stops within an inch of crushing a doll.
What kind of field of vision optics does the camera have that you would be able to see a small doll at bumper height?
But the reason for the thread- How many people back into their garage?
How many actually use their garage for parking their car[s]
If a two car- 2 cars or one car, the other side junk or park in the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM

180 posts, read 377,946 times
Normal optics with an LED or IR ring....the cameras go where the license plate is or nearby. The kits is $50-ish to buy if you can install one your self

Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
The camera on my Grand Cherokee is pretty sensitive. I can see my rear bumper edge to edge and 5-6 feet past it, give or take. But yes, it's sensitive enough that I can see anything behind my car, including what's on the ground. I've backed up close enough to a wall that your finger wouldn't fit between my hitch and the wall, without hitting the wall. To answer your other questions:

I back in everywhere, including the garage. I've always used a garage for parking, never storage. My parents put a full size Bronco and a Subaru Tribeca into theirs, with shelving on the walls.

You'd be surprised at how many people put multiple cars in their garages without issues.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
The camera in my Ford Flex is installed about 6" above the deck of the bumper and captures the outer lip of the bumper in the lowest part of the picture frame, so I can back up very close to items and still not hit them.

My camera has already proven itself a very worthwhile item. I have neighbors on both sides with young children. They run back and forth from one house to the other all day. More than once, while I'm backing up they've passed behind my car riding a Big Wheel or some other 'low-profile' toy that would have prevented me from seeing them through the rear glass but showed up no problem on the monitor.

As for garage parking, we have "his" and "hers" sides. Her side holds her car; my side holds my motorcycle and all my tools.

Mike

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I wonder how professional drivers are able to back a semi truck into a spot, when the rig is about 70 feet long , without a rear facing camera ? Practice of course. Same thing for a inter city passenger bus.

Driver training teaches that backing a car into a space or garage , is a good idea, in case that car cannot be started, for what ever reason. It makes it a lot easier to get booster cables to the battery terminals.

There are all kinds of ways to help position a vehicle in a garage, so that the space is used properly. Lines on the side wall that mark the resting place of the driver's door handle, or a ball hanging from the ceiling that indicates the rear window stopping position. Or a raised bump on the floor for the rear wheels. All of those methods are predicated on "backing the car into the garage ".

The trend to wards "self parking cars " and rear facing cameras, is in my opinion, the wrong way to go.

Too much reliance on tech, equals less actual driving skill and ability to control the vehicle. People that have been licensed for years but still cannot properly execute a parallel park, are my point here.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I wonder how professional drivers are able to back a semi truck into a spot, when the rig is about 70 feet long , without a rear facing camera ? Practice of course. Same thing for a inter city passenger bus.

Driver training teaches that backing a car into a space or garage , is a good idea, in case that car cannot be started, for what ever reason. It makes it a lot easier to get booster cables to the battery terminals.

There are all kinds of ways to help position a vehicle in a garage, so that the space is used properly. Lines on the side wall that mark the resting place of the driver's door handle, or a ball hanging from the ceiling that indicates the rear window stopping position. Or a raised bump on the floor for the rear wheels. All of those methods are predicated on "backing the car into the garage ".

The trend to wards "self parking cars " and rear facing cameras, is in my opinion, the wrong way to go.

Too much reliance on tech, equals less actual driving skill and ability to control the vehicle. People that have been licensed for years but still cannot properly execute a parallel park, are my point here.

Jim B

Toronto.
Indeed. I know a number of people who can't parallel park. I've also had a number of friends fuss at me for backing in, saying it "takes too much time". Those same will walk an extra couple blocks or more because they can't parallel park..."you'll never need to do it". I don't live in a major city and I do it all the time. Personally, I think you shouldn't be able to get a license until you can back your car in successfully in one try, same with parallel parking. If I can get my Jeep into those spaces, you should absolutely be able to get your little Corolla into it!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
I have a back up camera in my car but I never use it. im supposed to be looking at the video screen instead of looking back where im going? it seems like it is more limiting of my vision than what its adding. id prefer to have the beep as I get close to object. that may come in handy more when im parallel parking or backing out of a spot a little too casually.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
I have a back up camera and I do both.... look at the monitor and turn rearwards.
I mostly use the camera for (lack of better words) fine tuning when parking.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
I have a back up camera and I do both.... look at the monitor and turn rearwards.
I mostly use the camera for (lack of better words) fine tuning when parking.

Me too. Anything that helps me see behind my bumper is great to have whenever I need it.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
A park-distance control tone (beep then solid) is just as good if not better than a camera when it comes to backing up IMO. My backup camera is useless at night and you can't exactly see when inching backwards in an SUV. The tone is always dependable.

I always parked (forward-facing) in my garage even though my old house didn't have a basement or attic for storage. We just moved to a bigger house instead. But honestly, it was great for sheltering from the cold and rain. Now that I no longer have a garage, but still have a 4 month winter, I miss it for those reasons especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia