Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times

Advertisements

I tried buying the 2015 with the rebates, did not need the package, I can do my own rear-view camera for less than $100. But Hyundai had a lot of bait and switch. They wanted to sell the higher trim and finance. I am paying all cash. So at the end I settled on a 2013 CPO with 20K miles around $14.8 plus TTL. It is also the color that my wife wanted

I don't like the new Accord mostly b/c of the CVT transmission and worries over it. The new Camry is something you should check if not already done. Has a rear-view cam and bluetooth standard on the base/LE model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about who finances it, as long as you get a good interest rate. Mine was financed through a bank in Atlanta I had never heard of before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Yeah, don't worry about financing. I've always taken whatever rate the dealer needs for me to get a good deal and then refinanced it with my credit union a few weeks later.
Thanks. Well what I found frustrating is that they demanded I let them do the financing, or it is $1000 more. What is odd is that they said they will finance through the company I wanted to use (my credit union), but I cannot use my own branch office and THEY have to do it through the main branch. I wanted my own branch office to get the "credit" for the loan, as the manager there has been good to help me with my finances, etc. The good thing is though they told me they would sell me the '15 ECO model for $18,986, which seems like a good deal, especially for the Eco model. The only color they will sell me for that price is shale gray, which I am not a huge fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I tried buying the 2015 with the rebates, did not need the package, I can do my own rear-view camera for less than $100. But Hyundai had a lot of bait and switch. They wanted to sell the higher trim and finance. I am paying all cash. So at the end I settled on a 2013 CPO with 20K miles around $14.8 plus TTL. It is also the color that my wife wanted

I don't like the new Accord mostly b/c of the CVT transmission and worries over it. The new Camry is something you should check if not already done. Has a rear-view cam and bluetooth standard on the base/LE model.
Yeah, I wanted the camera, but also intrigued by the Bluelink feature that comes with that package (which comes on the ECO as standard). It also adds power seat and automatic headlights. For $1000, I didn't mind paying it.

On a side note, another Toyota dealer notified me that they have new '15 Toyota Corollas for $3500 off, so I could get a brand new Corolla LE for $15,890. It has back-up camera, but no satellite radio or telematics system, but I could live without it I guess. So, a new Corolla LE for $15890 or a Sonata ECO for $18986.

The Accords ride seemed a little to jittery to me. The Sonata seemed to ride better. I am going to try the Corolla tomorrow as well.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 PM

Well I went and drove the '15 Sonata ECO today. It seemed peppy enough, but I was not too keen about how the transmission behaved at lower speeds. It would take some getting used to. Also, the only one they had for $18,986 was dark gray and for some reason, when I would pull the door closed, the door panel was popping when first pulled. Not a good sign on a new car with 7 miles.

He said they had just marked down two base models to $16,986 (red and silver in color), but no back-up camera or Bluelink, which I really wanted. That is a deal though!

I drove a '15 Corolla LE today and loved it too.

The other dealer has ONE Sonata with the popular equipment package, but for $18,986. Good deal, but knowing I can get an ECO at the other dealer for the same price... makes it a tough decision. If I could get that SE with the popular equipment package for $17,986 (red), I would go for it, but I do not think they are going to go that low on it.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:46 PM

When I told the "sister" Hyundai dealer that the other said they would sell me a base SE for $16,986 ($5300 under MSRP), he said it sounded a little off based on how much money they would be losing to do it. I don't know what they have up their sleeve, maybe they are planning on adding hidden fees, or making $ on the financing.

They offered me an ECO model for $18,986, which is $5500 under MSRP. Should I be concerned? Too good to be true so to speak?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
How did the transmission in the ECO shift? It's basically an automated manual, so I can see where it may be a little jerky.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
How did the transmission in the ECO shift? It's basically an automated manual, so I can see where it may be a little jerky.
At low speeds it felt like a manual when going through parking lots, etc. It would pull you back when you released the accelerator. I don't know if I could get used to it, but once going it shifted like an automatic.

They told me they would reduce a Sonata SE with the back-up camera/Bluelink for $18,496. I may go that route, it is $500 less than the ECO.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 PM

The Hyundai dealer I use has several Sonata ECO's listed for $19,880 (one 'silver' and one 'shale'). For some reason, the one 'dark truffle' model they have (which I find the best looking) is $2k more, hard to believe a simple paint color can make that much of a difference.

Even more weird, all of their SE models are listed around $21,800. Seems backwards to me, the ECO should cost more than the SE, considering it has a more high tech powertrain.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The Hyundai dealer I use has several Sonata ECO's listed for $19,880 (one 'silver' and one 'shale'). For some reason, the one 'dark truffle' model they have (which I find the best looking) is $2k more, hard to believe a simple paint color can make that much of a difference.

Even more weird, all of their SE models are listed around $21,800. Seems backwards to me, the ECO should cost more than the SE, considering it has a more high tech powertrain.
Yeah, color effects the prices here as well. They mostly had black and dark shale. That is strange. They wanted more for the ECO models here.

Well I bought the SE with the popular equipment package (adds power seat, backup camera, Bluelink, automatic headlights, etc), it is dark red with gray interior. Not wild about the color, but was the ONLY SE with that package within 100 miles. Strange. I really wanted pearl white. I financed through Hyundai btw. MSRP was $23600 I think. The sales price was $18496 after their discount/rebates, then $1571 state tax, $475 dealer doc fee and I paid $8500 down. Payments around $225 per month for 5 years or $200 for 6 years. On my way to get her now.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM

Congrats on the purchase! That's not a bad deal. I bought my 2012 when it was a year old with 18k miles for $15,500. You're getting a brand new car that's much improved for just $3k more. If I buy another Hyundai I will probably get a brand new one next time, it's not worth saving a few thousand bucks considering you lose 40k miles and 5 years worth of powertrain warranty.

Do make sure to keep all of your oil change receipts, and always make sure to use a Hyundai/Kia oil filter, Hyundai is very strict about this. They even put out a tsb saying aftermarket filters can cause engine ticking. Some of the 2011 and 2012 models have had some bad rod bearings, but many owners did not keep their receipts and had problems getting a new engine (I'm sure the bearing problem has been solved).

Also, the manual tells you that you can go 7,500 miles between oil changes, I do not recommend that. It has been found that the GDI dilutes the oil a bit over time, reducing the viscosity. I change mine after about 4k miles, and you'll notice the oil is very dark by then. The oil cap says 5w-20, but 5w-30 is really best for the 2.4 motor, and it is allowed in the manual. Hyundai only recommends 5w-20 for fuel economy reasons, I'd go ahead and use it until the engine gets broken in, then switch to 5w-30.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 PM

Thanks. Yeah, my step-sister paid $15,500 for an '11 Sonata SE two years ago.

Good info on the oil, I will keep it in mind. One good thing is that Toyota had two year free complimentary oil changes.

Well the Hyundai is mine, it was a mostly smooth transaction, but I have noticed a problem when I got home. The paper the salesman showed me after he ran the credit app, showed I was going to be financing $12,093 after their deduction and rebate and my $8500 down payment. I went to sign the papers later and like a fool I was signing papers as he showed them to me and when I got home I looked at the copy and it shows I am financing $13,890'ish. It looks like they forgot to deduct the $1750 rebate that I was told I would get. I guess it is too late to worry about it now! I should have known to watch them because our company buys company cars from them all of the time and there always seems to be some issue. I emailed them anyway, awaiting reply. If they are reputable, they will let me know what happened or give me the $1750 rebate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia