Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 AM

479 posts, read 1,438,330 times

Advertisements

I've driven countless Kias, both in my old job as a rental clerk and when I've had to rent cars myself. My impression of them (as well as Hyundai to a lesser extent) is that they are cheaply made and try to overcompensate with "luxury features" such as standard satellite radio and such. Like a Prius, the driving experience feels like you're playing an arcade game, not actually driving a car. I admire how much effort the Korean companies are putting into improving their products, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't compare to the rock solid sense of quality I get from a Honda or Subaru (and most Toyotas). Finally, remember that these companies have the best warranty in America because their cars need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,536,299 times
You "kids" need to remember why the Japanese cars appeared when they did, prior to the 70's they were a very minor segment of the market, but when the oil crisis hit the big 3 had no econo cars to offer, so they got in bed with the Japanese market. During the 70's, most of the Japanese cars were small, lightweight, and cheap, and they didn't hold up well, but US automakers were having their own problems re-tuning for fuel savings, trying to lose weight, and maintain prices. It was the perfect storm for the US auto industry. Toyota, Honda, and Datsun (now Nissan) were not the powerhouses they are now, so Hyundai and KIA are building their brand in the US, and most of the people I know like them, almost all of the auto rags rate them highly, in fact KIA just ranked behind Porche and ahead of Jaguar in J.D. Powers Initial Quality rankings. I bought a new Optima and I'm real happy with it, it's fun to drive and it looks great. A lot of brand bashing in comments, but isn't competition good for the consumer?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times
The average car buyer wants comfort over handling. Most of the roads in USA are dull boring straight lines and many of the roads are a bumpy mess of potholes, asphalt patches, and concrete separation gaps. I own a 2015 Elantra and enjoy the smooth ride. It WILL be quieter when I replace the OEM tires. Acceleration is fine for I town driving. Go up to the 2.0L and you can get big power boost in the aftermarket.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,161,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I've driven countless Kias, both in my old job as a rental clerk and when I've had to rent cars myself. My impression of them (as well as Hyundai to a lesser extent) is that they are cheaply made and try to overcompensate with "luxury features" such as standard satellite radio and such. Like a Prius, the driving experience feels like you're playing an arcade game, not actually driving a car. I admire how much effort the Korean companies are putting into improving their products, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't compare to the rock solid sense of quality I get from a Honda or Subaru (and most Toyotas). Finally, remember that these companies have the best warranty in America because their cars need it.
That warranty assessment couldn't be any more wrong. If the cars needed it, Hyundai would be going bankrupt from warranty claims. They are able to offer such a substantial warranty because the cars are engineered to outlast it.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,142,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
That warranty assessment couldn't be any more wrong. If the cars needed it, Hyundai would be going bankrupt from warranty claims. They are able to offer such a substantial warranty because the cars are engineered to outlast it.
...Or they go any lengths possible to deny valid warranty work, including outright lying, to avoid paying claims.

That was our experience. Having a 10 year warranty is useless if it isn't honored by the company.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
My God Son just picked up a new Kia Optima, it's his first new car and he is very happy with it. He took me for a ride and at first glance it's a nice car. He has a cloth interior which is nice to the touch almost suede like. The Dash board has double stitching, the driver **** pit is laid out very nice. In many ways it's a typical Asian car that has non Asian qualities.

The seats were comfortable, firm, but nice. The car was wide enough, leg room in the front with the seat pushed about three quarters back offered up enough room for me. You sit low in the car which is a little annoying. The ride quality was terrible. Just awful. you feel every bump in the road and vibration through the floor pan. Combine that with the low seat position and I was turned off by the car.

In contrast I drove my neighbors brand new Elantra when she bought it a year ago and it rode much smoother and had a better seat position.

Just my .2 I am interested in hearing other's chime in.
Everyone wants different things for different reasons. Want upright seat then you want like a heavier car because of height. One reason I like SUVs and truck. Hate sitting with legs more stretch out. Otherwise I see the Mini van like Honda's has having seat further from floorboard and more comfortable; especially on long rides than small cars and SUVs. You also exit by stepping out; not up then out.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,822 times
Hyundai/KIA frames/chassis are the worst in the industry, IMO. Go over railroad tracks (or something like that) and you can feel how chintzy their frames are. They shimmy and twist and act weird. Im not the only one who notices this, all the magazines say the same thing. Theres a reason Hyundai/KIA always come in last in handling comparos.

Last edited by BIG CATS; 06-26-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Hyundai/KIA frames/chassis are the worst in the industry, IMO. Go over railroad tracks (or something like that) and you can feel how chintzy their frames are. They shimmy and twist and act weird. Im not the only one who notices this, all the magazines say the same thing. Theres a reason Hyundai/KIA always come in last in handling comparos.
Please show some evidence from a credible source. Chassis rigidity on their cars is not an issue and these days not really an issue with most established makes.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Or they go any lengths possible to deny valid warranty work, including outright lying, to avoid paying claims.

That was our experience. Having a 10 year warranty is useless if it isn't honored by the company.
I have had the opposite experience, even with heavily modified cars.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 AM

522 posts, read 723,782 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

absolutely this.

Quote:
I have had the opposite experience, even with heavily modified cars.
so, a handful of people who got -literally - lucky, surely know better. Notion of a heavily modified Hyndai makes me giggle every time I see another wannabe on the automotive forums trying to go for "600WHP".
Their warranty is an actual joke in the industry. Dealer service teams often use term of Korean warranty as a joke..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia