Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM

296 posts, read 693,741 times

Advertisements

We just had inspection on home we purchased this month. I was surprised that there were no screens on windows. I have never heard of houses in US being built without window screens? Is this a normal occurrence in Huntsville?

thanks,

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
If you are purchasing a new construction house, it is very common for the builder to wait until just before closing to install the window screens, so they do not get damaged or stolen. They usually put them in just before the final walk on the house. But, that is always something I address in the Request for Repairs, just to make sure everyone is on the same page and nothing is left "assumed".
As far as a resale, that is uncommon, unless it is a much older home. Many of the older homes in the area that have not had the windows replaced (updated with newer double pane windows) may not have screens.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
We just had inspection on home we purchased this month. I was surprised that there were no screens on windows. I have never heard of houses in US being built without window screens? Is this a normal occurrence in Huntsville?

thanks,

Marc

It is definitely at my house One just fell off the second floor window and it's still sitting on the ground.
I think it's a matter of personal choice and "curb appeal", but not written into the building code . There are more pressing issues (safety) to be looking for than window screens. Even if you had them, all torn up, you would've had to change them yourself anyway, so now you have to put them on if you want them.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

296 posts, read 693,741 times
This home is two years old.

Do screens even show up on MLS? If so, and they were not in the listing, it is my mistake for not mentioning them in the sales contract. If they are not listed on standard MLS listing, I feel that I have a right to screens if they are customary and normal; I would just treat as a repair request.

Am I being reasonable?

Again, thanks,

Marc

Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM

482 posts, read 990,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
If you are purchasing a new construction house, it is very common for the builder to wait until just before closing to install the window screens, so they do not get damaged or stolen. They usually put them in just before the final walk on the house. But, that is always something I address in the Request for Repairs, just to make sure everyone is on the same page and nothing is left "assumed".
As far as a resale, that is uncommon, unless it is a much older home. Many of the older homes in the area that have not had the windows replaced (updated with newer double pane windows) may not have screens.
^^^ What she said. It's almost a given that a window or two will end up being broken during the new construction process and the screens are so easy to damage between all of the people and machinery on the work site that the builder generally waits to put them on until the final walkthrough. Although, sometimes, they do need to be reminded. Some builders will stash them in the attic until they're ready to go on.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 AM

261 posts, read 738,569 times
I've found that many builders don't provide screens at all, and most of the resales I've looked at do not have them, either. More than a few real estate agents have reacted with disdain when I asked about screens. The attitude seems to be that screens are "country" or somehow low class, and that one is expected to run the HVAC system year-round, regardless of the weather. Some ARCs and/or HOAs even prohibit screens on windows facing the street. It's another thing to look for when you read the covenants & restrictions before buying in a subdivision. If you want screens on a new build, do take LCTMadison's advice and address them in your contract. Otherwise, your best bet is to order them from the window manufacturer rather than a big box store to ensure good fit.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 AM

482 posts, read 990,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
This home is two years old.

Do screens even show up on MLS? If so, and they were not in the listing, it is my mistake for not mentioning them in the sales contract. If they are not listed on standard MLS listing, I feel that I have a right to screens if they are customary and normal; I would just treat as a repair request.

Am I being reasonable?

Again, thanks,

Marc
In that case, it could be a situation where the seller never got the screens. You can ask for anything you like in the repair request, but screens don't really fall into the "major health, safety, systems, or pertaining to the structure" categories. It will really depend on how reasonable the seller is.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
You know, it's crazy...I close on my house tomorrow and I woke up this morning around 3am asking myself, does my house have window screens? I honestly cannot say....My guess is, they are not there....

Either way, they will have window screens by next week...

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
That is one thing that we have noticed is different in ALabama housing. In the 2 new homes we have had here and looked at hundreds it seems, there were no screens. Even our daughter's 2 homes in the Birmingham area did not have screens. We thought it odd too. However, to be honest, because of the pollen and construction, I am not sure I would open the windows. The 2 seasons of spring and fall that I would consider opening windows are full of pollen. However it would be nice to be able to do so if I wanted to.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
In my experience, most home DO have screens, unless they are OLD and the windows have not been updated.
Now, I have sold some houses where one or two was missing or damaged, but not having screens at all is not ordinary. Most builders provide screens, because when they purchase the windows, they come with the screens. They do not usually have to be purchased seperately.
Screens are not a code requirement so you more than likely will loose the battle of trying to get them to put screens on at this point, unless your inspection was very clean and you don't have much else to ask for. You may could try it, but if they won't, you cannot walk away. If it was a resale, and no screens were present, that is something that should have been addressed in the initial contract.

And, no, window screens are not something addressed in the MLS listing.

I personally don't think window screens are "country" at all. I LOVE having mine, because on nice breezy days I love opening all my windows without birds and bugs flying in!

Last edited by LCTMadison; 04-22-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area