Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 33,549 times

Advertisements

While going for my usual run at the greenway today, I noticed an area of broken glass where a car window had been smashed. I also noticed a garbage can of broken car glass in another area of the parking lot. I remember that last year I was noticing alot of broken glass in the unpaved parking lot at the other end of the greenway. So I started parking at the paved end figuring it might be safer. Now I am seeing glass at the paved end too. I really don't want the hassle of fixing a broken window. (and yes, I do not leave anything valuable in my car). Do you think I should find a different place to exercise? Does anyone with experience care to comment on the safety of the greenway? On another note, I wonder why HPD doesn't patrol the area more often? Or maybe install security cameras in the parking lot? It seems like it would be a good use of resources given that HSV/developers wants to expand the greenway near Midtowne on the Park, and make it an upscale park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 70,181 times
Yikes! I run at the Greenway quite often and I would be furious if someone did that to my vehicle. Lousy losers. :/

Is it technically Madison or HSV there? Either way someone needs to step up and provide more security.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 AM

889 posts, read 2,404,531 times
It's Huntsville city. I noticed the glass last time I was there about a month ago. It's a great trail. Hopefully this is not a continuing problem.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,433,281 times
Just to relieve your mind from all this pressure, have you thought of this: a guy goes out for a jog, loses car key on the trail, returns to car, smashes the window to get in. Ok, not plausible? He goes back on the trail to look for key, in the meantime a good samaritan picked it up with the intention to leave it at the entrance on the greenway. I have actually seen a key once taped to the welcome sign pole. This is what I saw.

Have you actually seen the car with the broken window in the parking lot, or just glass on the pavement?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 33,549 times
Just to clarify...I have seen several different instances of smashed auto glass, both on the ground and in trash cans, at the paved end of the greenway and the unpaved end. Over the last year and a half, I can recall at least seven unique areas of broken glass. So, yes, maybe seven joggers did forget their keys and smashed their windows to look for it. Or, the more plausible theory, is that crime is involved. See below link. I am just noting that the crime is starting up again and hope the place can be rendered safer. Police make arrest in Indian Creek greenway car burglaries - Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM

956 posts, read 2,505,620 times
I saw broken glass today. You'd think they would clean it up by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area