Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times

Advertisements

You tend to find moonshine in places where there are no legal alcohol sales. You used to could purchase it in the Decatur environs; but when Decatur went wet, those places disappeared.

You would probably want to go to someplace like Lawrence, Winston, or Cullman counties, where alcohol is prohibited. And then you'd have to know somebody....who knew somebody...who knew somebody.

And the stuff might still eat out your insides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
When you say Decatur is wet, does that mean liquor too, or just beer and wine?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM

In Alabama, if you're wet, you're totally wet. Liquor, beer and wine.
Of course, there are no Sunday sales of any kind in Decatur. We just got draft beer in restaurants a year or so ago. No brew pubs.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Thanks - around here there are some dry counties where beer and wine are sold, but no alcohol.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Yeah, they do it that way in Georgia, with all variations - by the drink but not by the package, by the package but not by the drink, liquor but no wine/beer and vice versa. It was mystifying to me with we lived there!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 PM

57 posts, read 223,777 times
Jeez...I haven't posted on here in forever! So far I like the way that Huntsville has grown over the last couple of years. Bridge Street is becoming a successful shopping destination that is giving Madison Square Mall a run for their money. I have been to Madison Square Mall recently and that place looks like it is living it's last days. That is not the mall that I used to know and fell in love with 6 years ago! For a mall that is dying so rapidly and my favorite stores that have vanished over the last few years, I drive 15 minutes from my house to shop at Parkway Place. The only thing that is keeping Madison Square alive is the cheap, knock-off stores that have tarnished the mall's image. I never understood why the company itself decided to waste a crapload of money by refurbishing the mall's interior and facade when it didn't have any plans of expanding any good retail offerings to the public. I would love to see Madison Square Mall go through a major revitalization when (not if) the owner decides to shut its doors and put the mall up for sale to another tenant.

I think the mall needs to be demolished and be replaced with a live/shop/play environment that could rival Bridge Street. It can be a mix of Atlanta Underground and Opry Mills with some family fun and adult entertainment. Also, a 12-18 story condo/hotel complex with an adjacent plaza that will have a boutique, some restaurants, and a martini bar can be located where it will have to require more acres of land next to the movie theater to seal the deal. This is a dream proposal that I wish will come to reality.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by java85 View Post
I think the mall needs to be demolished and be replaced with a live/shop/play environment that could rival Bridge Street. It can be a mix of Atlanta Underground and Opry Mills with some family fun and adult entertainment. Also, a 12-18 story condo/hotel complex with an adjacent plaza that will have a boutique, some restaurants, and a martini bar can be located where it will have to require more acres of land next to the movie theater to seal the deal.

Isn't this what is is planned to happen with the Constellation mall at the SE intersection of 565 and Memorial Parkway?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM

57 posts, read 223,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Isn't this what is is planned to happen with the Constellation mall at the SE intersection of 565 and Memorial Parkway?
It's supposed to be something similar to the dream project that I want to see done at Madison Square Mall. Original plans did call for a lifestyle center that would have a high rise condo/apartment tower, two hotels, and an entertainment center with retail, bars, and restaurants. That was a project that was introduced in 2007. Former Mayor Loretta Spencer and her administration debated about the height limits in the core of downtown early last year and thought it was necessary to keep the buildings capped at 10 stories and below. When I learned about that I was furious with that approval. Their proposal made the developer do some adjustments with the Constellation project including downsizing the height of the proposed apartment tower and hotel. Construction was supposed to had begun in January but so far there hasn't been an announcement about the project.

I hope that the developer halted the project anyway to bring back the original plan that he proposed since Mayor Tommy Battle wants to lift the height limit in downtown. I am glad that this project didn't go any further than it would have given the fact that a signature tower (hopefully 20 stories) can be placed there. A 6-8 story building is just a waste of excitement!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Does anyone have Constellation updates, plans, and renderings?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Does anyone have Constellation updates, plans, and renderings?
I drive by there every day and I haven't seen any activity at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area