Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times

Advertisements

Next time, try to be more explicit when you tell the librarian how to run the library! Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691
5. to be more involved in the Black community to attract more Blacks (not trying to racist)
Note that Huntsville is 30% Black, Alabama (http://http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/01000.html - broken link) is 26% Black, and the USA (http://http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html - broken link) is 13% Black.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
I think that Huntsville needs:
1. more entertainment
2. things that will attract the younger generation to the area
3. an amusement/water park
4. better roadways
5. to be more involved in the Black community to attract more Blacks (not trying to racist)
6. to stop annexing land and build to fill in the "rural" areas in the city limits.
7. to fix Madison Square Mall
8. to improve highway 72 like Birmingham is going to fix and improve highway 280.
In all fairness, some of these things are demand driven. For example "Huntsville needs more entertainment". In our capitalist society, in theory, if a buck can be made, someone will make it but if there are no bucks (no demand) then it won't happen.

Also, more subjectively, it seems like Huntsville is this big family town with a lower population of entertainment seeking citizens. Maybe that's true (I don't have statistics handy.) Mom and dad are too burnt out to go out clubbing and dancing.

Other things just flat out cost big money like better roads. Yesterday it was a big deal when the governor announced plans for funding to widen a 1/2 mile stretch of Madison Pike and also build an interchange to support a "proposed" mixed use development out at County Line and 565. I'm wondering if that whole thing will fly. I didn't read anything about making more safe Research Parkway where that girl died last week.

There is this water park thing in the Decatur area called Point Mallard. It's a bit of a drive from Madison and pushing an hour from south and east Huntsville. I think there is a smaller water park somewhere in Huntsville. But yes, I think a moderate sized, like Point Mallard, could make it in Huntsville (perhaps not now with the economy sinking like a lead zeppelin) - not sure why we haven't heard about something like this.

I haven't been to Madison Square Mall but my wife has - she said it does need a makeover. I have been to Park Place mall and it seemed pretty nice but it seemed smaller than any mall I've ever been to. (By the way, who goes to malls anymore? Who needs a mall when you have the internet?) Also, if Constellation is going to be a mall (???) then I would think that would put some pressure on both MSM and PPM to kick it up a notch to compete for mall dollars. And, we have Bridge Street and its second (and third?) phase expansions.

Last edited by Charles; 02-07-2009 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Well today being a NICE WARM DAY and we get to shop up & down University avenue, even get to eat a Five Guys, reminded me what Huntsvillians can improve desperately.

That EVERYONE can be more health conscious !

My gawd! Can we say "flabby nation"? It's not just the overweight thing, even slim/ skinny men & women are "shape challenged"! Visible gut belly even with rest of body being slim, young women with no muscle tone at all Has the "buns of steele" generation simply skip the south and moved onto Florida?

I looked around and realized that I am in a burger place (GREAT BURGER, btw !), then I realize we don't have much choices as far as healthy food is concern. Wifeo then say that she misses the "California Fish Grill' and I echo her sentiment.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
we don't have much choices as far as healthy food is concern. Wifeo then say that she misses the "California Fish Grill' and I echo her sentiment.
al.com: We're fat in Alabama; Why are Alabamians obese?

We were looking for a Baja Fresh type place but we ate at Tazikis tonight and that is pretty healthy food. (Unfortunately, both my wife and I thought the food was mediocre - could have been a bad night for them though - we'll try again another night.)

Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Default What can I do to improve Huntsville?

Move there!

I have been through Huntsville many times, and am hoping a job change with Hubby will ensure that! Seriously, I really loved the "feel" of Huntsville and am hoping fervently to be in or near!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Best answer yet!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I didn't read anything about making more safe Research Parkway where that girl died last week.
There's at least one intersection that needs to be addressed - Bradford turning on to Wynn coming out of Research Park to University - the left lanes turning to Wynn don't have a light anymore (no green arrow, no red, no nothing - burned out? Not being triggered?)...just go-for-it-straight ahead green, so two lanes are turning in to head-on traffic (no signage directing otherwise)...legally yielding, but that's just stupid. It's too busy at 4:30-5pm to not have an arrow combined with folks that don't use directional signals, others looking very confused and making wide turns. Gonna be an accident there soon. Neato.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

298 posts, read 716,204 times
I would like to see the cities of Huntsville and Madison plan a network of bike paths that are separate from the roads, and then make plans for implementing the construction of those paths (in phases if need be.) I would like to see separate bike paths from housing areas to research park, UAH, downtown Huntsville, and various greenways and parks, and also to bridgestreet and the new constellation project.

Some people I now already bike to work/school on a regular basis. Other would if there were safe routes to and from work. Also, I think there are a lot of active people in our community who would at least make use of those paths on the weekend. Our community would be healthier, and the risk of biking deaths would be reduced.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
There's at least one intersection that needs to be addressed - Bradford turning on to Wynn coming out of Research Park to University - the left lanes turning to Wynn don't have a light anymore (no green arrow, no red, no nothing - burned out?
I google map street viewed this description. It looks like there is a left turn hanging light box there and one red light is illuminated, but who knows when this photo was taken. The double left lanes are clearly visible.

35805 - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
It's too busy at 4:30-5pm to not have an arrow combined with folks that don't use directional signals, others looking very confused and making wide turns.
Also, at 430PM the westbound drivers could be looking straight into the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area