Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I are possibly relocating to the Huntsville/Madison area in Alabama. I'm wanting to know what the area is like. I have two teenage sons, so I'm looking for the best high schools possibly in Madison, and I'm wanting to know if there might be any possible safe "hangout" places for teenagers there. Also wondering what some of the best Baptist churches are in Madison. As far as employment, I've heard mixed opinions. I have a possible job lead, but say I didn't. What are the chances of me getting a job there with a background in Education/Finance? I appreciate any and all opinions, responses, advice, etc. Thank you and God bless!!!

-Mitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
There are currently two high schools in Madison....Bob Jones and the new James Clemens High School. While this is the first year JCHS has been opened, many of the teachers transitioned from BJHS and other schools within the Madison system so things are going very well. My son goes to JCHS and I can tell you it is every bit as challenging as Bob Jones!

The economy here is fairly healthy, so I would say that with a good background you would stand a good chance in those fields. The job market here (compared to many other parts of the US and AL for that matter) is pretty decent still.

I was raised in Central AL, and we love the HSV area. I don't like "big" cities like ATL, Birmingham, or Nashville, so HSV is just about the perfect size for us....not too big, not too small. Great housing market, overall healthy economy, and a half day drive to either beautiful beaches or snow skiing. Nashville is just over an hour away, Birmingham about the same, and ATL is just over 3 if you do get an itch for a "big city experience".

There are some GREAT Baptist churches in the area....it would really be what you are looking for. Are you more Southern Baptist, Independent, etc? Do you enjoy a more traditional service, or contemporary? Do you like churches with large memberships or do you prefer a smaller church family? My father in law has a prison ministry and is involved with many of the Baptist churches so we have visited many of them when he is there as a guest preacher.

As far as "safe" hangouts, my teenager likes to go to the movies, hang out at BridgeStreet, go bowling, or participate in school activities and youth group activities. The YMCA in Madison does have a "teen" hangout area that seems to be pretty popular with a lot of the youth. I guess the typical teen stuff.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

468 posts, read 906,961 times
Good (Baptist) churches in the general area... that I am familiar with (not in any order)-
Crossroads
Mt. Zion
Providence Baptist
Wall Highway

Been to three of the 4 ... they are different enough from each other that you should find something that you'd like. 3 of the 4 are Southern Baptist-affiliated. Of the 4, only 1 is really in Madison (Crosssroads).

Possible safe hangouts ... Bridgestreet (I think) ...

If you background is Finance, I'd suggest the banks and finance institutions. Whatever happens, don't move until you have accepted an offer. Rent for 6 months to a year ... at least - and so you can get to know the area. There's some very objective and knowledgeable realtors here in this board (I am not one of them).
Where are you moving from (potentially)?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM

703 posts, read 934,843 times
You want to be sure to have a job lined up before you move here. Especially if you are not an engineer or rocket scientist. Opportunities in the area are not as abundant here as they once were and there is a very large number of unemployed people here. I absolutley Loved living here, but I am leaving to go to where the work is. A metropolis such as Atlanta is a much safer bet.

That being said, I wish you the best as Huntsville is very nice city full of truly nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area