Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 09:21 AM

711 posts, read 961,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
They used to talk about the Zierdt Rd interchange, but it was (partially) built a mile or so to the west. Having an entrance to 565 eastbound would be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive, but an exit heading west would cost a bit.
Wasn't there talk of building a new Zierdt Rd connector to Redstone Gateway?

I think it was mentioned along with the Redstone Gateway Greenway project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 11:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Wasn't there talk of building a new Zierdt Rd connector to Redstone Gateway?

I think it was mentioned along with the Redstone Gateway Greenway project.
you may be thinking of this
Resolute Way as a connector from Madison Boulevard to Redstone Arsenal. Resolute Way is currently a short dead end road in the Redstone Gateway but would connect near Governors West and a new interchange on I-565.

There are lots of fairly current photos (especially the last 40) of the Gateway in this link. Picture number 63 among others shows Resolute, the short stretch of road between two newly built buildings.
https://jwacompanies.com/property/redstone-gateway/

Last edited by AU HSV; 06-15-2022 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
you may be thinking of this
Resolute Way as a connector from Madison Boulevard to Redstone Arsenal. Resolute Way is currently a short dead end road in the Redstone Gateway but would connect near Governors West and a new interchange on I-565.

There are lots of fairly current photos (especially the last 40) of the Gateway in this link. Picture number 63 among others shows Resolute, the short stretch of road between two newly built buildings.
https://jwacompanies.com/property/redstone-gateway/

Gotcha.

Then, I really have no idea why they are clearcutting the trees on the Arsenal South of 565 and East of Zierdt Rd as was previously mentioned.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:11 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,072,265 times
Quote:
Gotcha.

Then, I really have no idea why they are clearcutting the trees on the Arsenal South of 565 and East of Zierdt Rd as was previously mentioned.
An entrance ramp to 565 would be great there as everyone knows.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:13 PM

13,340 posts, read 9,884,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
It sure would be, and fairly inexpensive to do one would think. Perhaps that would put ramps too close together to maintain standards. I have no idea what that restriction is, if there is one.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:10 AM

766 posts, read 1,125,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Redstone Arsenal is not giving up any more land for an entrance ramp for travelers on Zierdt Rd. when there is already an entrance ramp a mile west coming from Town Madison Blvd. Over ten years ago, the Base Commander (at that time) agreed to give up Arsenal land for the widening of Zierdt Rd. The justification was so that more incoming traffic to the Arsenal would then choose to use Gate 7, instead of Gate 9, if Zierdt was a four-lane road that wouldn't back up with traffic. The whole idea was to reduce the pressure on Gate 9 with all of the south bound traffic coming from AL 255, as well as west bound on I-565. The fact that the widening of Zierdt, with an attractive grass median, was of benefit to the thousands who live along that corridor, as well as the stimulus to Town Madison, was an added benefit, not necessarily intended as it is not part of the mission of Redstone Arsenal.

If you'll notice, the tree cutting extends beyond what would be needed for an on ramp. I would imagine that they will sell the timber for revenue in the same way that in the past, hundreds of acres of Arsenal land have been rented out for growing cotton and grazing cattle.

Presently, the Arsenal is continuing to look at reducing the volume of cars coming down AL 255(Research Park Blvd.) and they are looking at the possibility of extending Resolute Way (located in the Redstone Gateway development) across I-565 to Governors West/Madison Blvd.

An interesting note from Wikipedia, the original intersection of Rideout Rd (now known as Research Pk. Blvd.) with AL 20 (now I-565) was designed to get traffic into and out of the Arsenal, therefore, the only flyover ramp at that intersection is from present day I-565 westbound to southbound on Rideout Rd. towards Gate 9.

That intersection was already there when the State of Alabama decided to extend Rideout Rd. from the Arsenal north to US 72 in 1969. Because of that history, that interchange doesn't have what is needed most which is a flyover from I-565 eastbound to AL255 North. The Arsenal actually owned all of the land up to the railroad tracks just south of Old Madison Pike and ceded it to the State to build the roads. The Wikipedia article on the history of AL 20 states that the 1936 alignment of AL 20 was Old Madison Pike from downtown Madison to Governors Dr., so it wasn't until 1957 when AL 20 was realigned and the present day Madison Blvd. (formerly AL20) was built was there a northern entrance to Redstone Arsenal. At that time the flyover ramp was built going south bound into the Arsenal.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:44 AM

After the Redstone Gateway Greenway project, it would be nice if they extended the Indian Creek Greenway up through Monrovia to the old Kelley Spring Watercress Pond or Phillips Park.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:39 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Quote:
After the Redstone Gateway Greenway project, it would be nice if they extended the Indian Creek Greenway up through Monrovia to the old Kelley Spring Watercress Pond or Phillips Park.
FYI, only problem is it seems to take a long time to get these things done

https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/hu...itto%20Landing.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
FYI, only problem is it seems to take a long time to get these things done

https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/hu...itto%20Landing.
As someone who loves the greenways and the potential of the complete network, this is frustrating to me. Not doubting or downplaying at all the time and money it takes to build these, but since I moved here in 2019, they've said 44 miles by 2023. Its now 2022, and they've opened ~6 (Zierdt Rd Greenway - 3, Elgie's Walk Greenway -3). I'm linking the most recent alternative modes review below which details all the various projects in work for 21 & 22, but it doesn't seem like any of these projects have been completed. Still a very cool document to take a look at!

https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/bu...ode-at-a-time/

Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 PM

13,340 posts, read 9,884,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogan View Post
I saw that the other day too. I can’t say for sure, but I’d almost bet they’re selling it for timber. I can’t imagine why they’d build something there considering there’s no roads or infrastructure to support any buildings way off in that corner. The only other thing I could think of otherwise would be if they’re clearing and grading in order to cede it to the city for something.
If you look now at the WAFF cameras, it looks like they're doing more than just cutting timber. There's earth-moving equipment shoving dirt around and clouds of red dust billowing. Looks like they're flattening that area for some reason. Not sure what it could be since it's basically inaccessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area