Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,816,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
And a lovely lodging tax increase to help pay for it. Can't these expansions pay their own way at some point? (Sorry, rhetorical question.)

The referenced briefing has cherry-picked statistics. Like pointing out how much higher the room rates are in downtown Huntsville vs. the rest of Huntsville and Madison County. Well duh - downtown Huntsville has a grand total of 3 hotels, all 3 of which are fairly new and among the nicer properties in Madison County. The rest of Huntsville and Madison County of course include the lower end hotels and all of the old hotels.

How about the America's Best Value Inn on North Parkway - looking at hotels.com, it doesn't get such good room rates. Or the King's Inn on South Parkway. So of course room rates are higher at the 3 properties that are counted as being in downtown Huntsville.

I thought I saw somewhere that some parking was going to be eliminated, but can't find anything that says that. Hopefully parking won't be affected. edit: looks like some parking will be added.

Kind of a shame the VBC was built in the wrong place. I know Huntsville wants it downtown, but the hotels are largely elsewhere. Imagine if the VBC were in Research Park West, near Bridge Street and the Space and Rocket Center.
It's old too, and it was there long before bridge Street. Most arenas I've been too aren't in the nicest areas of town, but they pull enough people to have nice hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,669,297 times
look for this to lead to at least 2-3 more downtown hotel properties and the development of Clinton the old coke site.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM

766 posts, read 1,126,864 times
Quote:
And a lovely lodging tax increase to help pay for it. Can't these expansions pay their own way at some point? (Sorry, rhetorical question.)

The referenced briefing has cherry-picked statistics. Like pointing out how much higher the room rates are in downtown Huntsville vs. the rest of Huntsville and Madison County. Well duh - downtown Huntsville has a grand total of 3 hotels, all 3 of which are fairly new and among the nicer properties in Madison County. The rest of Huntsville and Madison County of course include the lower end hotels and all of the old hotels.

How about the America's Best Value Inn on North Parkway - looking at hotels.com, it doesn't get such good room rates. Or the King's Inn on South Parkway. So of course room rates are higher at the 3 properties that are counted as being in downtown Huntsville.

I thought I saw somewhere that some parking was going to be eliminated, but can't find anything that says that. Hopefully parking won't be affected. edit: looks like some parking will be added.

Kind of a shame the VBC was built in the wrong place. I know Huntsville wants it downtown, but the hotels are largely elsewhere. Imagine if the VBC were in Research Park West, near Bridge Street and the Space and Rocket Center.

In 1975, when the Von Braun Center opened, Cummings Research Park West was an 800 acre privately owned cotton farm which the City of Huntsville would not purchase until 1982 and the Space and Rocket Center was a smaller tourist attraction than what it now is. In fact, the highway which is now called, "Research Park Boulevard" (called Rideout Road and it ended at University Drive) was the edge of the developed area at that time. Madison, was a small town of 3,000 people. Therefore, it was highly unlikely that a large arena, concert hall and convention center would have been built in what at that time was a semi-rural area. The development on University Drive ended at what is now the Hooters just before Wynn Dr.

The opening of Madison Square Mall in 1984, along with development of the western portion of Research Park, were the catalyst for the trend for a lot of growth in the western areas. The first, "large subdivision" in Madison was Stone Ridge off Hughes Rd. in the early 1980's. Monrovia was a rural farming area and didn't see much residential development until after Madison had significant development. Interstate 565 was talked about a lot, beginning in the late 1960's, however, construction would not begin until 1987. The first overpasses on Memorial Parkway (outside of the two originals over Holmes and Clinton) were just beginning to be built in the mid 1970's.

I say all of this to give you a picture of how the Huntsville area looked in the early 1970's when the decision to build the Von Braun Civic Center (the original name) was made. Therefore, it is logical that the City of Huntsville would have built a city owned facility central to the population at that time of a lot smaller city and developed area.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:39 PM

652 posts, read 721,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
In 1975, when the Von Braun Center opened, Cummings Research Park West was an 800 acre privately owned cotton farm which the City of Huntsville would not purchase until 1982 and the Space and Rocket Center was a smaller tourist attraction than what it now is. In fact, the highway which is now called, "Research Park Boulevard" (called Rideout Road and it ended at University Drive) was the edge of the developed area at that time. Madison, was a small town of 3,000 people. Therefore, it was highly unlikely that a large arena, concert hall and convention center would have been built in what at that time was a semi-rural area. The development on University Drive ended at what is now the Hooters just before Wynn Dr.

The opening of Madison Square Mall in 1984, along with development of the western portion of Research Park, were the catalyst for the trend for a lot of growth in the western areas. The first, "large subdivision" in Madison was Stone Ridge off Hughes Rd. in the early 1980's. Monrovia was a rural farming area and didn't see much residential development until after Madison had significant development. Interstate 565 was talked about a lot, beginning in the late 1960's, however, construction would not begin until 1987. The first overpasses on Memorial Parkway (outside of the two originals over Holmes and Clinton) were just beginning to be built in the mid 1970's.

I say all of this to give you a picture of how the Huntsville area looked in the early 1970's when the decision to build the Von Braun Civic Center (the original name) was made. Therefore, it is logical that the City of Huntsville would have built a city owned facility central to the population at that time of a lot smaller city and developed area.
My post was intended to be idle speculation (except the complaints about the tax increase.)

It was the best decision at the time, no doubt. Perhaps even by the mid 80s when growth took off and Research Park exploded there was already too much sunk money in the existing location.

But if magically you could flip a switch, how different things would be.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM

12,440 posts, read 15,010,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
...I say all of this to give you a picture of how the Huntsville area looked in the early 1970's when the decision to build the Von Braun Civic Center (the original name) was made. Therefore, it is logical that the City of Huntsville would have built a city owned facility central to the population at that time of a lot smaller city and developed area.
I read that there was a sizable parcel of land surrounding the Madison County Coliseum (Jaycee County Fairgrounds) in the 1960's and 1970's. I suppose that was more on the outskirts of town at the time. It would be quite centralized these days.

Northeast Alabama State Fair

Old 06-26-2017, 03:10 PM

360 posts, read 1,538,956 times
Talking Yes, it is a Discount Tire @ Wall Triana & 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don't 100% know, but I've been told that it's the genuine item. I certainly hope that it's the case.
I confirmed the address with staff while I was getting new tires last month at Discount Tire's Franklin, TN location.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,235,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I confirmed the address with staff while I was getting new tires last month at Discount Tire's Franklin, TN location.
Woo-hoo! It is definitely looking more and more like a DT. Thanks for confirming...

Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 AM

652 posts, read 721,876 times
I went to the Home Depot in Madison last night - noticed the new Cineplanet theatre seemed to be doing a pretty good business for a week night. May have to check it out this weekend.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,936,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Woo-hoo! It is definitely looking more and more like a DT. Thanks for confirming...
Let's hope the location here is as good as they seem to be everywhere else. I've never actually used them but have heard really good things about them from the Corvette Forum.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM

394 posts, read 632,879 times
Quote:
I went to the Home Depot in Madison last night - noticed the new Cineplanet theatre seemed to be doing a pretty good business for a week night. May have to check it out this weekend.
The Home Depot *near* Madison. This is why i go to Lowes because it's *in* Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area