Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 02:29 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,511,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Correct, I haven't been stuck there during rush hour except during the fringe times, and then only for a couple of minutes. Much of that was due to what seemed like endless construction on 65 north of the interchange. Congestion can be expected at the intersection of two major interstates regardless of what the configuration is, but "malfunction" certainly wasn't built 50 (about that?) years ago with today's traffic volume in mind. Hopefully the changes they are making now (merging from 65 South onto 20/59 NE bound) will help but I don't think it will mean clean flow during rush hour.

My original comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but the 565/Parkway interchange was a poor design from the day it was put on paper.

Still ... it's nothing compared to Atlanta. The last time I made the trip from Athens to Marietta, it took about 5 hours to get from 85 to 285 to 75 North, then to Kennesaw. And that couldn't be more than 30 miles. And it was on a Sunday afternoon ... no rush hour.
Yeah, I live here in Atlanta, so I do agree. Atlanta traffic only rivals Miami, Washington, and Houston in the South. Unfortunately, I-65 and I-20/59 in Birmingham is becoming another "around-the-clock" freeway congestion spot as well especially the major push for infill and active use developments around their urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM

13,438 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, I live here in Atlanta, so I do agree. Atlanta traffic only rivals Miami, Washington, and Houston in the South. Unfortunately, I-65 and I-20/59 in Birmingham is becoming another "around-the-clock" freeway congestion spot as well especially the major push for infill and active use developments around their urban core.
They're also going to build the football stadium not far east of there ... I suppose near the Civic Center. There's really no fantastic solution to heavy traffic, because you're always going to have accidents, and people who don't have a clue as to what to do. Not to mention rude drivers .... lncluding those who have never heard of a turn signal. It only takes one stupid driver to impact hundreds of others.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I would avoid Malfunction Junction at all costs during peak traffic unless you want a severe case of PTSD.

ATL is on a whole other level.
They really need another freeway from 75 to 85, outside 285. But that's not popular with the residents so probably won't happen any time soon.

My son lives in Kennesaw, and for a couple of years worked on 85 north of 285. His commute to work took 2 hours, assuming no accidents. Traffic there is insane. He now works at Georgia Tech, leaves for work at 5 in the morning to avoid the crush, and it still takes close to an hour just to go maybe 20 miles.

The only place I've seen that's worse is Los Angeles, but I've never driven in NYC. The few times I've driven in Washington, Miami, Houston, and Dallas and other large southern cities, they were never as bad as Atlanta and LA. Washington has grown considerably since I've driven there (always used the Metro), so it could be Atlanta-bad now. Nashville can be a total PITA at rush hour, and it's not a huge city.

We have it made here, even though we have a primitive road system for the most part.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM

711 posts, read 964,086 times
There has been resistance to the Outer Perimeter / Northern Arc for decades.

The result is that the SR 20 Improvement Project is the Northern Arc by another name.

I left for the Military in the late 80's and a majority of the people I grew up with in Marietta have since moved further out to escape.

They relocated to places like Cartersville, Canton, Jasper, and Rome.

While most of my Family followed me out to Huntsville.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 AM

46 posts, read 57,384 times
So, Madison County courthouse could potentially be moving from the square some day? Did I read that right? Thats awesome! The current location has so much potential for various types of things that could replace the courthouse. Maybe even refurbish and convert it to something awesome. Here's the article from WHNT 19:

Madison County leaders mulling over price for new courthouse location | WHNT.com

Last edited by croberts256; 04-06-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croberts256 View Post
So, Madison County courthouse could potentially be moving from the square some day? Did I read that right? Thats awesome! The current location has so much potential for various types of things that could replace the courthouse. Maybe even refurbish and convert it to something awesome. Here's the article from WHNT 19:

Madison County leaders mulling over price for new courthouse location | WHNT.com

don't think so, they are looking for additional space not relocating

Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 AM

46 posts, read 57,384 times
AU HSV, oh well. I wonder what they're planning to do with the added property they're looking for.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Quote:
AU HSV, oh well. I wonder what they're planning to do with the added property they're looking for.
Probably more courtroom space. Not to say they won't move, last year they seriously looked at selling the courthouse and I think even had someone interested in buying it but didn't work out. Things can change quick.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Let's hope they're not planning on demolishing the court house like they are city hall. It's not the most beautiful building in the world, but Huntsville only has a couple decent buildings downtown and it's one of them.

Me and probably most everybody else wishes that had left the old, original court house intact 60 years ago and built the present one somewhere else. I'm a fan of the nice old buildings ... wouldn't be surprised if one of these days they'll try to demolish the First National Bank. But surely it's on the Historic Building list.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I may be hypercritical, but that's a pretty casually written article and it's about on a 4th grade level. Don't they teach journalists how to write any longer? Not only that, but half the online articles nowadays from supposedly reputable source are chock full of typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area