Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM

65 posts, read 181,483 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that I may be relocating from Chattanooga, TN to Huntsville, AL before the end of this year. I've never been to the area, but hear it's laid out similar to Chattanooga, TN. What all does Huntsville, AL offer as far as outdoors/hiking, nightlife scene, singles scene, music scene, local eateries, community events, and shopping goes? I will not base my final decision on those items only, but they do factor in. Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:36 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,461,785 times
I don't think the layout is that similar: HSV doesn't have as much of a traditional downtown, plus the River isn't such a factor in layout. HSV's major employers are Redstone Arsenal / Research Park which affects layout.

Outdoors / hiking - Monte Sano State Park is 10 minutes from downtown. HSV has several Land Trust trails, Green Mountain Nature Trail, and Hays Preserve for hiking. Ditto Landing Marina on the TN River provides water access. There are many State Parks and Wilderness Areas within an hour's drive.

Nightlife / singles / music scenes - there are a several bars in Huntsville and out in Madison. Check out the Valley Planet for lists. Check out the Art Museum Art Krewe. You can find something to do every night, but there won't be many choices.

Local eateries - there are a few great local restaurants from fine dining to BBQ. HSV has plenty of chain restaurants.

Community events - there are a variety of sports teams (club to minor league) from Roller Derby to Soccer to Baseball. The Von Braun Civic Center has concerts and trade shows. Lowe Mill is an artist space with music and dance and poetry et cetera. The Von Braun Astronomical Society has presentations and viewing. There are three universities in town offering lectures, concerts, sports, and events. There is always something going on, but again there may not be many choices.

Shopping - there are two decent malls - Bridge Street (new outdoor mall) and Parkway Place, plus one dying mall (Madison Square). HSV has all the chain grocery stores / electronics / etc plus some new upscale grocery stores like Earth Fare. HSV offers at least as much shopping as Chattanooga.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,818,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxygrl82 View Post
There is a possibility that I may be relocating from Chattanooga, TN to Huntsville, AL before the end of this year. I've never been to the area, but hear it's laid out similar to Chattanooga, TN. What all does Huntsville, AL offer as far as outdoors/hiking, nightlife scene, singles scene, music scene, local eateries, community events, and shopping goes? I will not base my final decision on those items only, but they do factor in. Thanks a bunch!!
There is a lot of hiking and outdoorsy activities: Monte Sano Park, areas along the river, Big Springs Park, etc.

There is nightlife here. All I know is about the hip-hop/R&B scene. Huntsville is pretty good in that category.

There are a lot of families here. There are quite of bit of singles here, too.

Music Scene: check nightlife.

One thing Huntsvillians love to do is EAT OUT. Everyday restuarants, both local and national, are packed to the brim. There a lot of local chains in the small retail centers and elsewhere.

There are a lot of community events, especially in large subdivisions around the metro. You have the holiday parades, Alabama A&M's homecoming events, etc.

Huntsville has a lot of shopping for its size. Two indoor malls. Parkway Place is a nice semi-upscale mall. It has Abercrombie, Wet Seal, Dillard's, Belk, Charming Charlie, Williams-Sonoma, Ann Taylor, Chico's, etc, Forever 21, Express, etc. Madison Square is an okay mall that is a little sad. It has Dillard's, Belk, Sears, JC Penny, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Journey's, etc. Of course, Bridgstreet, the upscale outdoor mall. It has Juicy Couture, bebe, Anthropologie, Gap, Old Navy, DSW, The Melting Pot, Barnes & Nobles, etc. Also, you have your regular strip malls that include Super Targets, Super Wal-Marts, TJ Maxxs, Marshall's, Ross, Kohl's, etc.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM

I know this is a little late, but thanks for the feedback. The job possibility fell through so I won't be relocating there anytime soon.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,747,996 times
Where did you end up?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM

I'm still in Chattanooga, but flying up to Burlington, VT next week for an on-site interview. I'm hoping that I get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area