Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 22,353 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I posted a while back about visiting Northern Alabama to consider moving there in the future. Your answers were really helpful. I have a few more questions as my husband and I will be visiting soon-

We are looking at the Shoals area, but we will probably go to Huntsville too. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice smaller towns or cities outside of Huntsville? We prefer a more rural setting with at least a half acre of property but still want to be close enough to shopping, medical, veterinary, etc. We were in Northern Alabama almost two years ago and really liked it there.

Any suggestions for other areas around Huntsville to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 04:59 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,282,205 times
You might really like Athens! Great town, not too big or small, still close enough to hop into HSV for a day of shopping or a night out. They have a great downtown revitalization going on, schools are good, and it is easily accessible to 1-65. There are many areas just outside the city limits with great acreage properties, and you definately will get more home for your money as well as land than Huntsville.
Also, Hazel Green may be another good choice. Northern Madison County, bigger lots, again more bang for your buck as far as homes go, and it is about a 20 minute drive into HSV for major shopping and medical, yet it has a selection of chain fast food/local restaurants and grocery shopping for everyday needs. It is also a short drive up into TN for some beautiful scenery!

Have fun on your trip!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 22,353 times
LCTMadison,

Thanks for your reply. The places you mentioned sound nice, we will have to see them while we are in the area!

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,459,911 times
Lots of places - Rogersville, Killen, Elgin's Crossroads, Decatur, Hartselle, anywhere in Lawrence County....Gurley, Harvest, Elkmont, etc. etc.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may relocate View Post
Hello-

I posted a while back about visiting Northern Alabama to consider moving there in the future. Your answers were really helpful. I have a few more questions as my husband and I will be visiting soon-

We are looking at the Shoals area, but we will probably go to Huntsville too. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice smaller towns or cities outside of Huntsville? We prefer a more rural setting with at least a half acre of property but still want to be close enough to shopping, medical, veterinary, etc. We were in Northern Alabama almost two years ago and really liked it there.

Any suggestions for other areas around Huntsville to consider?
Will either of you be working? Where?
What type of budget do you have for the property?
Kids? Ages? Have you researched the school districts?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshomes View Post
without all the traffic jams that Huntsville has
They probably don't have the major earthquakes Huntsville has either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area