Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:03 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,158,222 times

Advertisements

the Gov't told us.. "you have to pass it so we can see what's in it".
They claim they didn't know that 72,000 dead people received $$ in the stimulus package. Another 17,000 prisoners also did. Obviously, some know exactly what's going on and most know absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,435,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
I think the Rio is going to withdraw from hosting the next summer Olympics and Huntsville is going to host it.

I think we are going to have the world's tallest skyscraper by 2012.

I think we are going to have a subway system when 7,000,000 people move here over the next six months.

I think they are going to relocate the White House to Huntsville.

I think since they call University Drive "the strip" and since Huntsville is named Huntsvegas, University Drive will be just like Vegas one day -- only with more hotels. Celine Dion will move here.

I think they are going to host the Oscars from The Monaco this year.

I think that even though they say now, "Only Paris is worthy of Rome. Only Rome is worthy of Paris", Huntsville will be integrated into the saying one day, and Rome and Paris will be our sister cities.

I think Huntsville will have the world's busiest airport in two years.

I think we are going to have two major league baseball teams like Chicago next spring.

I think every neighborhood is going to have two IKEAs. Hampton Cove will have three. One will be an IKEA inside of an IKEA.

I think Disney is going to open a theme park in Boaz when the last tenants leave the outlet mall. Universal Studios is opening when they tear down Madison Square Mall.

I think they are going to turn the Tennessee River into an ocean -- bring in sand, and turn the water into salt water.

I think downtown Huntsville will become a shopping mecca much like midtown Manhattan, Rodeo Drive, South Beach by next Christmas.

You can't just make up stuff.
I think you're talking about Huntsville, TX here

Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,855,476 times
Quote:
Furthermore, aside from BRAC, Madison County has 310K people in 2010. The projection for 2025 is 350K. That's an increase of 40K over fifteen years, not 10K a year. Our metro will be around 500K by 2025 based on trends.
You are dying for explosive growth. You need to move to Raleigh or Austin. Those places are exploding. We are growing. More people are moving in than moving out. But, we aren't going to experience explosive growth. I'm sorry. If you want explosive, go to Raleigh or Austin...or Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston...
First of all, you're trying too hard to get rep points. Second, Metro Huntsville receives 9,000-10,000 people annually with about 6,000 going to Madison County annually. I can say the government numbers are high or low; that doesn't cease reality. I don't want explosive growth. I want GOOD growth. I may say Huntsville can use a store here and a store than and other stuff, but who am I to say that?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:38 PM

956 posts, read 2,507,067 times
I attended a meeting a few weeks ago with the Huntsville Chamber...they are predicting 4,000 and up. They will move in slowly, not a huge influx. What I've been seeing with the RELO's coming in is: Wanting to lease as much as wanting to purchase. Many are having trouble selling their homes and aren't able to purchase until sold.

No where NEAR 70,000. Not gonna happen A&M. It would be great, but those numbers are way off base.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM

179 posts, read 393,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
More like 7,000 people instead of 70,000.
I think this number is a whole lot more correct than 70,000.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,007,587 times
Well, 30,000 people are relocating to Columbus-Ft Benning from Ft Campbell, KY because of BRAC. There's a ton of construction going on the Alabama side and Smiths Station HS is already bursting at the seems.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:26 PM

5,070 posts, read 6,378,525 times
There's a lot of rampant speculation in this thread.

There's also PUBLIC web sites that will give you pretty precise answers. You can do it the hard way by reading the public BRAC reports and researching organization sizes, or the easy way by typing "BRAC new jobs to Redstone Arsenal" or something similar.

And the magic website that I got in 3 minutes of research:

http://www.garrison.redstone.army.mil/brac_view_faq.asp

"Q14. Is Redstone Arsenal scheduled for closing? A14. No, Redstone Arsenal is not scheduled to be closed, on the contrary, Redstone Arsenal will experience significant growth due to Base Realignment And Closure (BRAC) law, which mandates the movement of new DoD agencies to Redstone Arsenal. Current estimates indicate that as many as 4700 new jobs will come to Redstone Arsenal."

That answer's slightly out of date. At any given moment, agencies will be adding or shedding positions-but still, it's as close as you're going to get.

4700 jobs comes with about ~8000 -10000 additional family members and (about) 5000 additional contractors, from my completely unscientific but pretty accurate experience of actually doing BRAC planning in the past. So the total *jobs* coming is way closer to 7000 than 70000.

There, see? Piece of cake. And please note: this thread is called '...people from BRAC...', not total inflow/outflow-so arguing about overall growth is a little off topic.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,027,826 times
Quote:
THE GOVERNMENT says 4K Gov't/civilian jobs are being realigned, and some 3K associated contractor jobs. .
But we all know that it takes 3 contractors to support a civil servant so he/she can justify their jobs

You guys are forgeting the 'unofficial projection' that KE/A&MB is counting on, that is the number of ILLEGAL IMMINGRATION job growth that will come with BRAC job relocation. Jobs in constructions, restaurants, landscaping, and maids/nannies... yup, 70K people ....

Old 10-09-2010, 11:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,855,476 times
What are you talking about?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,586 times
Let's inject a little reality in this discussion. Let's assume the numbers of jobs coming to Redstone Arsenal both Gov/Civilian and Contractors, 4700 and 5000 respectively, are correct. That makes a total of 9700 jobs over the next 3 years. The OP stated 70k people will be moving into the area NOT 70k jobs. Assuming only single people make the move. That makes 9700 people moving into the area. A more likely scenario will be family units making the move. The US Census Bureau states the currently average family size is 3.14 people. Simple multiplication of jobs to avg family size gives 30458 people potentially moving to the area. This is very close to the Columbus, GA estimates. Easy number to come up with when you are not trying to make fun of other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area