Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

179 posts, read 392,669 times

Advertisements

I am for anything that would enhance downtown. Huntsville is sorely lacking a vibrant city center. If it takes a baseball stadium, then go for it. I'm not much interested in baseball but I am very interested in seeing Huntsville have a downtown that is truly city-center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Would the city not own the stadium and lease it to the team?
Depends upon the agreement a city and owner come to. In some places the team owns it, usually after a period of time, or the owners build it and it is subsidized by taxpayers.

I do think you're right about Joe Davis though, but I'm not sure. The city owns it now, right?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 PM

256 posts, read 605,541 times
You know, Nashville is going through nearly the same thing (regarding baseball) right now. They are afraid of losing The Sounds if they don't build a new stadium, and not being able to attract a MLB team ever (uh...Bulldawg, please don't start in on us getting a MLB team ). But, anyway, there are lots of concerns and expenses going into a ballpark.

Without going into the whole story (because I don't know it all and it's complicated), Nashville is very interested in developing a multi-purpose amphitheatre downtown. That's part of their riverfront redevelopment. We don't have a riverfront downtown, obviously. But (and I don't know), would it make sense for us to have a multi-purpose amphitheatre. In Nashville's case, theirs closed a few years ago and now they are missing alot of touring acts who can't fill the arena, but need more space than the performing arts theatre. In our case, it could be something to that replaced having concerts on the Arsenal and, maybe, provided some "reserved" space for Big Spring Jam and other events downtown. Like Nashville is asking, what do you do with an amphitheatre during the times it's not being used much for music to keep it profitable and used? I don't know the answer.

Anyway, I guess my question is sort of two-fold. Does anyone think we will ever generate much interest in our minor league team? And, would we almost not be better off just redeveloping multi-purpose land downtown?

Anything we do -- like anything Nashville does -- will be expensive. Anything costs a fortune to maintain well. I know it's not downtown Louisville, but look at Churchill Downs You would think a world-famous site would be very profitable. Even with their using as a concert venue and drawing record numbers of visitors recently, they lose millions annually. Nothing is cheap. But, what could potentially draw the most people. I've never been to a Stars game, admittedly. I come from STL -- where we are as crazy about the Cards as everyone here is about football. Not just because of that, but in part, I don't know that I would go to a Stars game if it were in a better stadium downtown. I would go to a concert venue. That's just me...one person's tastes. Point still is how do you make ANYTHING as multi-purpose as possible? How do you attract as many people as possible? Nothing is cheap. Up front or in the long-run.

We are expanding our arena some and updating it. We are improving our concert hall. Is there room for us to have a mid-sized amphitheatre venue...just like Nashville is asking again for their city.

I don't know any of these answers. Just another idea to throw into the air.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

While I certainly hope we keep the Stars since they ARE an asset to the city, let me ask it this way? What will ever draw more attention? A Stars game or a big concert downtown? I think the answer is obvious. At the same time, I have been to countless concerts that weren't sold out. But in terms of regional visibility, a concert is a bigger draw.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
On another subject aside from baseball and something you touched on DavidH74, I'd love to see more acts in the Rocket City. Granted we see more than Tuscaloosa, but unfortunately not Bham. It's always nice to not have to travel for a show of a musician of choice!!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM

EXACTLY! I'm going to see Michael Buble in Nashville this December (as soon as tickets go on sale). But, for as much as I love going to Nashville, it's WAY easier to stay right here. WAY easier. WAY!

And, just because you build it, doesn't mean they'll come. But, our location does help. We are a big enough city to attract big names, as we have, and close enough to Nashville and B'ham and the Shoals and ATL that we're an "easy" stop. Wehave a good touring location. We're a good "stop".

We're never going to get Madonna (until she's 80 maybe) or Lady Gaga or Paul McCartney (until he's 80), but we can probably draw more. Again, with the redevelopment of our current musical venues, now may be a good time to add a third --to replace the Arsenal and the "Concerts in the Park" Location.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
Well also since BSJ now ceases to exist to give us a dozen acts in the city a year, it would be good to have something in its place.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

71 posts, read 143,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
We're never going to get Madonna (until she's 80 maybe) or Lady Gaga or Paul McCartney (until he's 80), but we can probably draw more. Again, with the redevelopment of our current musical venues, now may be a good time to add a third --to replace the Arsenal and the "Concerts in the Park" Location.

We used to get more big acts until that kid got his eye blown out at a Motley Crue concert in the 80's.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

159 posts, read 383,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
But the problem as I understood it was that without a conference they'd have a lot of trouble scheduling a full season and thus staying D1 after their current contracts run out.

You're absolutely right. No conference will let UAH in, I guess due to being the only strong hockey school in the south.

Few major hockey schools want to schedule games against independents (which is what UAH will be). UAH was getting some strong recruits while we had a conference to be in, but that won't be as likely once you have to go independent.

If only people were as supportive of the local college hockey team as they have been with Alabama/Auburn football. Two NCAA conference championships in four years and they still can't get any love!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Other schools are not afraid of UAH - it's the travel expenses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area