Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times

Advertisements

I couldn't remember if they had included the State in their discussions about the people needing to be involved in getting the project involved. I know the Mayor had mentioned he wanted the group to include the city, MU and a developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I couldn't remember if they had included the State in their discussions about the people needing to be involved in getting the project involved. I know the Mayor had mentioned he wanted the group to include the city, MU and a developer.
Ah you are right. They did not include the state. Though I would like the state to get involved, I'm not sure that would be fair. A baseball park Huntington doesn't affect or help out the state of WV much if at all. Though it would be great for Huntington and possibly indirectly for the state as well. I can just see how some people may not be happy about that and understandably so.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Maybe not involved in terms of writing a check directly for the project, maybe approving a TIF district, like what was approved for the new ballpark in Morgantown, and maybe using some political clout for business negotiations or something along those lines.

The ballpark in Charleston was mainly funded by the Economic Grants the State awarded to various projects around the State, like the Cabela's in Wheeling, so a little assistance is only fair.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Maybe not involved in terms of writing a check directly for the project, maybe approving a TIF district, like what was approved for the new ballpark in Morgantown, and maybe using some political clout for business negotiations or something along those lines.

The ballpark in Charleston was mainly funded by the Economic Grants the State awarded to various projects around the State, like the Cabela's in Wheeling, so a little assistance is only fair.
That would be nice and certainly fair. Any help will be appreciated but the less the better I think. At least for the city and school.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:51 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I certainly hope to see some plans for a ball park, but I'm more eager to see any plans for additional degree programs. I would love to see Marshall add a school of dentistry and I think this could really serve the state with the outreach programs these schools typically do. It'll also be interesting to see about a law school. Do we need more lawyers? Not really, but it would be nice to see the school named for a US Supreme Court Justice get a law school and maybe get some other voices in Charleston as well.

I'd also like to see if there are any plans for some of the land north of third ave near the stadium. Lots of potential there, especially if you get that ACF lot for the ballpark!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I certainly hope to see some plans for a ball park, but I'm more eager to see any plans for additional degree programs. I would love to see Marshall add a school of dentistry and I think this could really serve the state with the outreach programs these schools typically do. It'll also be interesting to see about a law school. Do we need more lawyers? Not really, but it would be nice to see the school named for a US Supreme Court Justice get a law school and maybe get some other voices in Charleston as well.

I'd also like to see if there are any plans for some of the land north of third ave near the stadium. Lots of potential there, especially if you get that ACF lot for the ballpark!
They definitely needs some more doctorate programs. I believe the property north of the parking lot was mentioned as a potential spot for a research park, as the mayor mentioned in his plans.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
New buildings, renovations seen for Marshall campus - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM

I do not think that reducing the lanes on 3rd and 4th are a good idea. At least not for the city. Here in 20-30 years, if the city and/or it's surrounding areas have grown any, the traffic will be terrible. The roads can currently support another 30,000 people at least.

Plus imagine what it would be like during emergency situations. I have been back in town for the past week and today's traffic was absolutely CRAZY!!!! That doesn't always happen but imagine if there were only 3 lanes on 3rd and 5th...wow. Huntington's infrastructure is pretty good and getting better. Decreasing it is not a good idea.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 AM

I agree pynball. Instead of wasting the money to narrow those roads, the resources should be put in place to build a few more pedestrian bridges, both on 3rd and 5th avenues.

On 5th Avenue, one pedestrian bridge should be built around the corner of 5th and 18th where Twin Towers is located and the other bridge should be built around 5th and John Marshall Drive where the Student Center/Bookstore is located.

Since 3rd Avenue already has 2 pedestrian bridges, a third should be built around Smith Hall and the new Engineering Building.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Are there any visuals for the plan so far? I mean, they had a presentation but I can't find a thing from it - not even a map or something with proposed buildings. The page on the University's website is kind of haphazard and doesn't provide any update beyond the current projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington