Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM

20 posts, read 117,340 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Is there any good transportation? Do you have to have a car to get around the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,864,650 times
Basically, you have to drive a car. Good news, Houston is expanding its public transportation for many miles and miles. Bad news, you'll need a car for right now.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,655,050 times
No, you don't HAVE to drive a car. I know people who don't.

When people tell you "you can't do this" what it really means is "I'm not willing to do this, so you probably won't be willing to either." It doesn't actually mean "you can't do this."

Generally the closer in you live, the better METRO's service is. The buses will get you from A to B. You just better budget time for transfers, late buses etc. The light rail service is more consistent, though it's only one line currently (there are more either in planning or under construction; we probably won't see any of them completed before 2013). If you live close to it, there's actually quite a bit you can get to. Get far enough outside Loop 610 and bus service gets even more spotty for the most part.

Another thing to consider is the weather. Not just the heat in the summer, but we do get a fair bit of rain here. It doesn't completely preclude the use of public transportation any more here than it would in any other city with less than optimal weather - Chicago comes to mind.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
No, you don't HAVE to drive a car. I know people who don't.

When people tell you "you can't do this" what it really means is "I'm not willing to do this, so you probably won't be willing to either." It doesn't actually mean "you can't do this."

Generally the closer in you live, the better METRO's service is. The buses will get you from A to B. You just better budget time for transfers, late buses etc. The light rail service is more consistent, though it's only one line currently (there are more either in planning or under construction; we probably won't see any of them completed before 2013). If you live close to it, there's actually quite a bit you can get to. Get far enough outside Loop 610 and bus service gets even more spotty for the most part.

Another thing to consider is the weather. Not just the heat in the summer, but we do get a fair bit of rain here. It doesn't completely preclude the use of public transportation any more here than it would in any other city with less than optimal weather - Chicago comes to mind.
This.

You really don't have to have a car in Houston; it has a great BRT system (I walk a lot to places I need to go and I have a car). However, I'd recommend a car.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Oops, my bad. I misread the question. I meant you have to drive a ca to get to and in the suburbs

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,667,330 times
Houston's public transportation is really not good at all unless you live in a few select areas. Some people do not have cars in the city, but they spend a GOOD chunk of their day on transport alone. For someone who isn't so poor that they cannot afford a car, it is doable, but otherwise, just get a car.

Lightrail is suppposedly expanding but it is going to be a long time before it is actually usable by a good amount of Houstonians.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
That's terrible and sad!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,655,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
That's really not a very high rate taking the total miles traveled by the entire bus fleet. I think the high-profile crashes involving the bus drivers running red lights across Main downtown has put a little more scrutiny on it, but I'd be willing to bet the rate of accidents and breakdowns of private cars relative to the mileage everyone puts in isn't that much better if at all. Not that I have a way to prove that, then again, it's not like statistics are logged for every time somebody's car breaks down on them. It comes down to maintenance, and I do think METRO puts a little more into maintenance of buses used for higher rates of ridership. Makes sense anyway.

If you are looking at living downtown like your other thread asks about, that's one of the best places you can be as far as getting around on METRO goes. The entire system branches out every which way from there and the light rail begins there. Retail options are increasing. This would be one of the "select areas" as glorplaxy puts it. Most anywhere along the rail line would also qualify.

Close in like that, if you also work nearby, you really won't be spending much more time getting yourself around than anyone else, probably much less so than someone who commutes from the suburbs. You will have everything you need on a daily basis not too far from you, plus a broad range of entertainment.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's really not a very high rate taking the total miles traveled by the entire bus fleet. I think the high-profile crashes involving the bus drivers running red lights across Main downtown has put a little more scrutiny on it, but I'd be willing to bet the rate of accidents and breakdowns of private cars relative to the mileage everyone puts in isn't that much better if at all. Not that I have a way to prove that, then again, it's not like statistics are logged for every time somebody's car breaks down on them. It comes down to maintenance, and I do think METRO puts a little more into maintenance of buses used for higher rates of ridership. Makes sense anyway.

If you are looking at living downtown like your other thread asks about, that's one of the best places you can be as far as getting around on METRO goes. The entire system branches out every which way from there and the light rail begins there. Retail options are increasing. This would be one of the "select areas" as glorplaxy puts it. Most anywhere along the rail line would also qualify.

Close in like that, if you also work nearby, you really won't be spending much more time getting yourself around than anyone else, probably much less so than someone who commutes from the suburbs. You will have everything you need on a daily basis not too far from you, plus a broad range of entertainment.
Tell me something because that would be a hot mess.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 AM

567 posts, read 1,628,505 times
We live by a bus stop, and one day my wife took the bus to UH from the house. We thought it would not be too bad with only one transfer. Well, 2 hours later she got there. It normally takes 15 minutes by car (30 minutes in traffic) from where we live. Yes, if you have plenty of time on your hands, you can use public transport in Houston, otherwise get a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston