Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will become Houston's next big new economy sector besides oil?
Technology/IT 10 25.00%
Engineering 1 2.50%
Construction 1 2.50%
Medical 21 52.50%
Other (please specify) 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Medical is already huge. Texas Medical Center is the city's largest employer. Extremely important and significant... people come from all over the world, especially to places like M. D. Anderson, and spend many more dollars elsewhere while they're here.

Hopefully biotech and nanotech grow further here.
How many people are employed there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
How many people are employed there?
Texas MC = 75,000 in 2009 ----> 105,000 expected for 2012 !

Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Dang! I have never known for an employer to be that big!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 PM

If 100,000+ works in the medical industrys, how many people are employed in the oil industry?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM

192 posts, read 504,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
My former college roommate graduated as a Civil Engineer from the University of Houston and has never been out of work. The company he works for was involved in the widening of a section of I-10 which lasted about 8 years plus he has had all types of other contracts such as rebuilding overpasses not only in Houston but as well as in other cities. He says that the demand is there and it’s only increasing in Houston.
This isn't surprising. Hwy 290 is planned for a major overhaul in a year or so, just like I-10. I wouldn't be surprised if the north end of I-45 will be next in line.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM

192 posts, read 504,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
It's still way too early to tell. Though there are quite a few energy companies in Houston that are involved in green energy, for the vast majority it accounts for a relatively small percentage of their operations.
It'll be nice to see renewable energy grow in Houston. Texas already produces about three times more wind energy than its closest competitor.

I posted these elsewhere, but in case anybody else would like to read:

"Move Over Oil, There's Money in Texas Wind"

"Wind Power Has Another Banner Year"

Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Houston is the center of the American oil and gas industry, not so much the energy industry as a whole. The whole "Houston is Energy Capital of the World" is more or less today a marketing slogan. Back in the day, when the US was much more dominant in this industry, one posited that whatever city is the energy capital of the US is also that of the world. However, when one does research today, they will find that US oil companies' share of proven oil reserves is rather minuscule. I believe it's in the single-digits percentage-wise. In fact, 3 of the 6 supermajors aren't even American. (RD Shell, BP and Total).

As for them moving, they (and corporations in general) do it all the time. Where does Halliburton's CEO reside? Clue: It's not the US. Didn't they just move from Houston to Dallas a fews ago? Wasn't El Paso Corp. previously based in...El Paso a few years back? Didn't Schlumberger move from NY a few years ago too? There are tons of other examples of O&G firms moving to where the money is, I'm sure.

I also mentioned solar as well. If you follow my posts, I do talk quite extensively about solar energy, much to the chagrin of a few on this forum, it seems.
I don't think it matters where Haliburton's CEO lives. It's still a US company that is HQ'ed in Houston. Go look at the new Fortune list and try and say it's HQ'ed in Dubai (another common misconception). It isn't. Those other two companies moved to Houston. Houston is the energy capital. I read the Houston Economic Outlook for this year, as well as the Hreater Houston Partnership, and they all go agains t what you're saying.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I don't think it matters where Haliburton's CEO lives. It's still a US company that is HQ'ed in Houston. Go look at the new Fortune list and try and say it's HQ'ed in Dubai (another common misconception). It isn't. Those other two companies moved to Houston. Houston is the energy capital. I read the Houston Economic Outlook for this year, as well as the Hreater Houston Partnership, and they all go agains t what you're saying.
Okay, Houston is the energy capital. We got you. ("Energy" is a VERY broad term, but I'll take your word for it.) My point is from my original post, technology is rapidly advancing and our future is without a doubt going to be much different than it is today. Renewable energy can be produced just about anywhere, from Nantucket Sound to Southern California (not to mention individual backyards and roofs when it becomes viable at the consumer level), so who knows if there is going to even be a "renewable energy" capital. Oil and gas production is much more localized (Canadian tar sands, the Gulf of Mexico, West Texas, etc.)

To say Houston is and will be the energy capital forever to me is like someone in the 60's saying Detroit will dominate in automobile production forever. Industries change and the areas that are associated with them change along with them. (The premise of my first post on this forum)

Also, FWIW of course locally-based business organizations have something nice to say about Houston. It would be against their best interest to not have anything nice to say.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-05-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Houston is the center of the American oil and gas industry, not so much the energy industry as a whole. The whole "Houston is Energy Capital of the World" is more or less today a marketing slogan. Back in the day, when the US was much more dominant in this industry, one posited that whatever city is the energy capital of the US is also that of the world. However, when one does research today, they will find that US oil companies' share of proven oil reserves is rather minuscule. I believe it's in the single-digits percentage-wise. In fact, 3 of the 6 supermajors aren't even American. (RD Shell, BP and Total).

We know this, but Houston is the Headquarter/American Division of 5 of the 6 super major oil companies.
^^^^^^

Old 06-05-2010, 08:10 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We know this, but Houston is the Headquarter/American Division of 5 of the 6 super major oil companies.

Not even close. Chevron and Exxon aren't based in Houston. Sure they have operations here, but they aren't headquarters' or "American divisions" seeing they are based elsewhere in the US.

Besides, I think I'm trying to establish that oil won't be around forever, which is in line with the OP's question. Oil companies? So what?

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-05-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston