Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will become Houston's next big new economy sector besides oil?
Technology/IT 10 25.00%
Engineering 1 2.50%
Construction 1 2.50%
Medical 21 52.50%
Other (please specify) 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,300,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Okay, now you're just starting to sound like a Chamber of Commerce brochure. I've proven that housing 5 of 6 supermajors doesn't mean ---t when looking at the oil industry globally. Now you're talking about natural gas and Houston's dominance on the national level. How about some stats on how Houston compares globally in that regard? It's "energy capital of the US", maybe, but the world? Give me a greak!

And Houston being dominant in natural gas doesn't have anything to do with Houston's relationship with renewable energy.

And you just sound like a hater; it's a simple nickname that has stuck with Houston. No need to b**** about it. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,389,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And you just sound like a hater; it's a simple nickname that has stuck with Houston. No need to b**** about it. Move on.
"Hater" ! It's the good word !

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,995,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know. He clearly has an agenda here and is going out of his way to discredit Houston and not call it the "Energy Capital of the World". He must have a big problem with the city if it bugs him that much. No one else is agreeing with him and the numbers/facts go against what he is saying.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,640,073 times
Who gives a dilly damn if it's the "capital?" As long as a slice of the pie sits here and people have work, does it matter?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM

316 posts, read 786,004 times
Default "It's never going to be the tourism industry in Houston"

Advanced Manufacturing | Houston Economic Development

http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/...icForecast.pdf

Oil & Gas - 48% of Houston's economic base employment is in energy-related sectors -- oil and gas extraction, oilfield services & oilfield machinery manufacturing, and petrochemicals - The Houston area has more than 3,600 energy-related companies, both upstream and downstream. Houston is home to 13 of the nation’s 20 largest natural gas transmission companies, 600 exploration and production firms and more than 170 pipeline operators.

The Texas Gulf Coast has a crude capacity of more than 4 million barrels of refined petroleum products per day. Houston is home to 11 of the 25 largest publicly traded oil and gas exploration firms and has 25 fortune 500 companies located in the city .....2009 Gross metropolitan product - 435 Billion Dollars ranked 5th in the nation- Houston’s workforce currently has more than 47,000 jobs in crude petroleum and natural gas extraction and nearly 43,000 jobs in support activities for mining.

Exports - Texas exports totaled more than $163 billion in 2009, led by computers and electronics, chemicals, machinery, petroleum and coal, and transportation equipment. Texas’ largest export markets continue to be its NAFTA trading partners: Mexico purchased $56 billion in Texas-manufactured goods and Canada $13.7 billion. China ($8.9 billion), the Netherlands ($6 billion), and Korea ($5.3 billion) rounded out the top-five export destinations.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
The IT and Tech industry seems to be rebounding at a very fast pace. The engineering sub-sector is also picking up fast in Houston.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,851,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Advanced Manufacturing | Houston Economic Development

http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/...icForecast.pdf

Oil & Gas - 48% of Houston's economic base employment is in energy-related sectors -- oil and gas extraction, oilfield services & oilfield machinery manufacturing, and petrochemicals - The Houston area has more than 3,600 energy-related companies, both upstream and downstream. Houston is home to 13 of the nation’s 20 largest natural gas transmission companies, 600 exploration and production firms and more than 170 pipeline operators.

The Texas Gulf Coast has a crude capacity of more than 4 million barrels of refined petroleum products per day. Houston is home to 11 of the 25 largest publicly traded oil and gas exploration firms and has 25 fortune 500 companies located in the city .....2009 Gross metropolitan product - 435 Billion Dollars ranked 5th in the nation- Houston’s workforce currently has more than 47,000 jobs in crude petroleum and natural gas extraction and nearly 43,000 jobs in support activities for mining.

Exports - Texas exports totaled more than $163 billion in 2009, led by computers and electronics, chemicals, machinery, petroleum and coal, and transportation equipment. Texas’ largest export markets continue to be its NAFTA trading partners: Mexico purchased $56 billion in Texas-manufactured goods and Canada $13.7 billion. China ($8.9 billion), the Netherlands ($6 billion), and Korea ($5.3 billion) rounded out the top-five export destinations.
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 AM

200 posts, read 450,192 times
I dont know but I think Houston's economy has to get more diversified..The way green technologies are going, or if something drastic and unplanned occurs in the oil sector it still would be a major blow to the economy of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What do you think will become Houston's next big new economy sector besides oil?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,995,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
I dont know but I think Houston's economy has to get more diversified..The way green technologies are going, or if something drastic and unplanned occurs in the oil sector it still would be a major blow to the economy of Houston.
Don't worry. Houston's economy has been becoming more diverse for a while, especially with green technologies. That's probably Houston's strength right now actually.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM

200 posts, read 450,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Okay, Houston is the energy capital. We got you. ("Energy" is a VERY broad term, but I'll take your word for it.) [b]

To say Houston is and will be the energy capital forever to me is like someone in the 60's saying Detroit will dominate in automobile production forever. Industries change and the areas that are associated with them change along with them. (The premise of my first post on this forum)
I agree. I wonder if Houston's economy is diversified enough to withstand a change in how we use oil. Is the "energy" sector getting or willing to be diversified to foster green technology in Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston