Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand is how that section of Wilcrest got to go first.

It wasn't bad by Houston standards at all. maybe a Pothole or two,while Kirkwood between the bayou and Briar Forest literally has road missing. It's like the movie 2012, where the road is crumbling away and opening up into the core. i never go down there anymore, but then I have no reason to go south to Westhiemer either.

Did anyone see the sinkhole in front of Memorial Drive Church? It was about three feet deep. They covered it with a huge metal plate, but something went wrong and there was a car down in it last week. Soooo, don't drive in the right lane over there. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:23 PM

99 posts, read 151,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What I don't understand is how that section of Wilcrest got to go first.

It wasn't bad by Houston standards at all. maybe a Pothole or two,while Kirkwood between the bayou and Briar Forest literally has road missing. It's like the movie 2012, where the road is crumbling away and opening up into the core. i never go down there anymore, but then I have no reason to go south to Westhiemer either.

Did anyone see the sinkhole in front of Memorial Drive Church? It was about three feet deep. They covered it with a huge metal plate, but something went wrong and there was a car down in it last week. Soooo, don't drive in the right lane over there. Yikes.
Unless they had planned and had the funding to go East to West and fix all of them, Wilcrest being the first doesnt make sense to me. And it turns out Kirkwood south of the Bayou doesnt even have the funding!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I grew up in that area and still live nearby, so I'm not clueless about it at all. And yes, even if it's a smaller overall street, the same principles apply as to the other streets. I do the u-turns on Westheimer to get to driveways and it's no big deal.

I have little sympathy for school traffic. Make your kids bike / walk / take the bus. That's how it was not so long ago - and those schools have been around a long time. Parents need to get a grip.
[SIZE=3]Ok, you may not be clueless but your response is a perfect illustration of the problem - too many other people think they know better than the ones who actually have to live with it. Wholesale application of “principles” made up in some ivory tower is not the solution. What kind of principles lump a neighborhood street like Memorial in with Westheimer and Hwy 6? Why not throw in the I-10 while we’re at it? That’s pretty off the wall and as I pointed out it’s not just school traffic that’s negatively affected, it’s ALL local traffic. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On the whole, it’s a great project but it just seems that not much thought went into the detail of it. What’s wrong with adapting design principles to local needs? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But sure, whatever, to h*ll with them all. Let them eat cake. [/SIZE]

Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Well, all the buried cable pipes are being lined up along this section.

Question: quietly the strip mall on the southeast corner of DA and Memorial has been boarded up and development signs posted. Anyone know exactly the scale of this? Upward like everything else?

Also, a complex near Tully has apparently evicted all its residents...

Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, all the buried cable pipes are being lined up along this section.

Question: quietly the strip mall on the southeast corner of DA and Memorial has been boarded up and development signs posted. Anyone know exactly the scale of this? Upward like everything else?

Also, a complex near Tully has apparently evicted all its residents...
I office down the street and haven't heard anything. I noted that the donut shop was closed up, but I was assuming that would be the new location of the doner kebap chain from Austin (they told me they were likely committing to a location at that intersection). But, maybe not, and something bigger is in the offing. I assume they know Memorial will be under construction starting next year.

Interesting news about the Tully complex - do you know which one? There was suprisingly little publicity about the projects replacing Wisteria Gardens and Princeton Club - usually you'd see something in the HBJ, Chronicle etc. for something of that scale, not to mention a full property redevelopment.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM

The whole strip mall is now boarded up and the Indian place relocated next door. The good news is the city listened to the neighborhood objections to the road reconstruction project and made some changes for the better.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
As long as there's still medians and not a two-way-left-turn lane. Or if it is the latter, the speed limit will be significantly slower, like 25 mph.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Yep, medians still there but with added left turn lanes. The real world was taken into consideration with the new draft. Still, I'm sure the older residents don't like it but such is the price of progress. Unlike what some on here still believe, this part of town ain't suburbia anymore.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM

Just now heard the 13 acres that have been sitting empty for decades, across from Latern Lane, will be a mixed used development. Methodist, who owns the property, will be developing it with Midway.

Ugh. Sounds like we are going to be as crowded as Uptown soon.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Not suprised, too big a plot in such a prime location to leave it to the dog walkers. Even the Shell station charges a hefty premium (like 20c!) over the Shell station down the street! I hate to say it but that little stretch is going to need median too with all the people trying to turn across each other to get into the two deveopments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston