Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 AM

433 posts, read 1,933,164 times

Advertisements

We have 3 little kids... is there a certain day or event where you would bring kids? What exactly goes on at the rodeo? Is it "family friendly" or more for adults? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never been to a rodeo, and Houston's seems colossal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,272,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
We have 3 little kids... is there a certain day or event where you would bring kids?

When the Jonas Brothers come....

What exactly goes on at the rodeo?

Sex, drugs, drinking, bad fashion and violence.

Is it "family friendly" or more for adults?

BOTH

Sorry for my ignorance, I've never been to a rodeo, and Houston's seems colossal...
^^^^^

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,126,870 times
i would skip the concerts if you have 3 little kids. you will not be able to get in to the actual rodeo but little kids tend to get bored with that, sitting in one spot watching this or that. the carnival is fun for kids (keep a close eye on them as there are a ton of people usually) and then getting in the stock show is good to, they can get up closer to the animals, they have a petting zoo and things like that. my son is about to be 7 and he was finally into the rodeo itself last year and enjoyed the show (took him to toby keith who puts on an entertaining show, especially for ex military like myself). johns fav was the calf scramble...they take like 30 kids and 15 calves and the kids have to catch, halter, and lead/pull/push the calf into the square. the ones who get a calf get a free calf and food and things for it to raise it to show at the next years rodeo... he also likes the chuck wagon races.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,715,929 times
Other then the parking nightmare and the cost of parking that requires taking out a 2nd mortgage to be able to afford, the rodeo is great. I have no kids but if I were a kid I would go crazy like a kid in candy store had I been introduced to rodeo at a young age. There is so much for kids to do and many of us adults turn into a kid at times when we are around the animals.

I came to Houston for several years before moving here. My other half always bugged me to go as she grew up here and always attended the rodeo. I said no for several years before giving in. Now you can't keep me out.

The concerts are a waste unless you have many hundreds of dollars for a good seat. Reliant is so large that you can not even see the Ant on stage who is singing. The sound is horrible. The other shows with the Calf round up as the other poster mentioned is great. Kids might really like that as well as the kids riding the Pigs. I love Barrel Racing personally but that would bore a kid.

The Livestock shows and petting zoo is something your kid will never forget. There are many demonstrations like milking Cows, Sheep sheering and things like that. And of course the endless rides for all ages. And finally lets not forget the food. Oh is there food.

Go on a weeknight for the lessor crowds. There are several package ticket deals to meet every budget. I think you can not get into the rodeo events unless you buy concert tickets. The package tickets get you where ever you want without worry what is covered and what's not.

Hope this gives you a start.........

Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM

443 posts, read 1,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Other then the parking nightmare and the cost of parking that requires taking out a 2nd mortgage to be able to afford, the rodeo is great.

This person is wrong. If you are smart about it you can park for $5 and ride the light rail straight into Reliant park. I did it on Saturday and it worked great. Just park at any one of the numerous parking lots downtown...I found one that was $5 until midnight and buy a $1.50 rail pass down to Reliant Park. It took maybe 15 minutes on the train...clean, efficient and quiet. Love it.

Have fun! The rodeo is the best event all year in Houston, IMO...so much to see and do. Definitely a Texas experience not to be missed.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

882 posts, read 2,249,445 times
You can bring your kids any day, but there are some value days that may be of intrest to you, so you can stretch your dollar.

Value Days - Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (http://www.hlsr.com/tickets/value-days.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,479,295 times
Take the kids and you'll all have a blast! Lots to do and see! And during Rodeo, everyone becomes a "cowboy" , so make sure you've got your jeans, hats and belt buckle!
I'd stay clear of the concerts...the kids would probably just be bored.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM

295 posts, read 1,170,513 times
I havent been to Rodeo. I have a question.
The ticket says rodeo/concert. So I buy the ticket choose whatever seat I want but dont need to attend the concert but just tour other "maps", am I right?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM

433 posts, read 1,933,164 times
So I found on the web site about the "AGventure" which has the petting zoo, milking the cows, baby animals, etc. But do you buy tickets for that or is that something different than the rodeo? I couldn't figure out the price/hours for that...

Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,479,295 times
I believe your ticket bought at the gate, covers all but the concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston