Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times

Advertisements

As a native Houstonian, when I was a child my family and I went to the rodeo ONE time every season. It was a great family trip -- it was a real event and not some overly planned and over-hyped show. Its a great thing for tourists to live out their Texas stereotypes.

As an adult - I don't see what it is all about unless you make it a family fun outing. I've watch Go-Texan day go from a fun, celebration to nothing more than a mid-year Halloween costume party for non-Houstonians who think they understand. Really, wearing "toy" holsters and guns with your black dress pants to the office.......geez. The traffic in the area is a monster. The sound system for concerts - really, I wouldn't pay for a concert in that venue. Once you have seen the rodeo, you have pretty much seen them all. I understand and respect that it is highly anticipated for sooo many. So for those that crave this all year long and go to almost all the shows - what is it about that draws you night and night again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As a native Houstonian, when I was a child my family and I went to the rodeo ONE time every season. It was a great family trip -- it was a real event and not some overly planned and over-hyped show. Its a great thing for tourists to live out their Texas stereotypes.

As an adult - I don't see what it is all about unless you make it a family fun outing. I've watch Go-Texan day go from a fun, celebration to nothing more than a mid-year Halloween costume party for non-Houstonians who think they understand. Really, wearing "toy" holsters and guns with your black dress pants to the office.......geez. The traffic in the area is a monster. The sound system for concerts - really, I wouldn't pay for a concert in that venue. Once you have seen the rodeo, you have pretty much seen them all. I understand and respect that it is highly anticipated for sooo many. So for those that crave this all year long and go to almost all the shows - what is it about that draws you night and night again?
I'm not a big fan, but... Temple Grandin will be giving a free seminar (you have to pay for parking, of course) there on Friday night, Mar 2. I can't go as we have other commitments, but she is such a fantastic speaker that I wish I could go.

Animal Behavior, Autism and Sensory-Based Thinking
presented by Dr. Temple Grandin

Join us for an educational
seminar featuring Internationally renowned scientist and spokesperson on autism, subject of the HBO
movie “Temple Grandin,” and author of The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger’s.

Friday, March 2, 2012 • 7:30 p.m.
Reliant Center – Main Arena, Hall C
Seminar is FREE with Reliant Park Admission:
$7 for adults, $4 for ages 3-12

Parking information can be viewed at:
Guest Services - Parking - Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM

488 posts, read 1,383,275 times
Those 3 little words: Chicken Fried Bacon

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Unfortunately for most, it's much more fun if you are connected or on a committee.....or have a long standing family relationship with the Rodeo.....

Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
I don't attend carnivals or go to an amusement park but every 15 years. so when the rodeo comes it is kind of fun to go with a group of friends to do some rides or games and eat some junk food. the cook off is awesome if you work for a big company or have passes to various tents.

i don't go to the livestock show or events. haven't done that since i was a teenager. the crafts/art show and lectures can be interesting.

it's yet another place to go in houston with a bustling crowd, plenty of alcohol and some people watching. im not one to prefer simply sitting in my house

Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
In no particular order:

Funnel Cakes with strawberry compote.
BBQ tents.
Bull riding.
Ford trucks hanging from poles.
Girls in skin-tight daisey dukes.
Chachkis inside the hall. I always find some weird armadillo thing. I have them all over my house.
Reba or Miranda.

That's about it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston