Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,235,416 times

Advertisements

It isn't just Houston as many have said; it's nearly the entire state which, as we all know, is huge. Far west Texas and the Panhandle from what I understand don't have as much of the humid air. You won't find it cool anywhere in the summer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 03:22 PM

197 posts, read 262,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Humidity in the mornings is always higher especially in the summer. But it changes during the day substantially with 90's in the mornings dropping to the 60's and 70's in late afternoon and rising again as the sun sets. Of course the nearer the coast the less of this effect one would see ... especially with the daily onshore breezes! gotta go...more later!
I would say the 60's and 70's thing would be a pretty chance morning/winter thing. LOL! The humidity is good for me though--I'm a vocalist. The air here in Boston can be a little on the dry side.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 PM

197 posts, read 262,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
For all of those who believe Houston is the foodie capitol of America: where is your head?
Houston is NO food capitol of the world. My son was a chef at the Drake in Chicago--one of the premier hotels in America--so, we do have some basis for our complaining about the food quality in America. Again, my son was a CHEF AT THE DRAKE IN CHICAGO.
$25-30 is NOT being cheap when you are feeding two for lunch anywhere in America either. So, you can cut the sarcastic statements about eating for $5-6.
We have lived in Chicago and DC, lived abroad, and are not so uncouth and uncultured that we expect fine dining for $30; but, we should get more than a selection of Wendy's, Burger King and Mama's Cafe for that.
America's was my favorite Houston restaurant, ate there many, many times, and one restaurant of decent quality does not a restaurant town make.
We have eaten at almost every restaurant that was mentioned. A few must be new as never heard of them, but we ate at a good majority of them.
So glad YOU love Houston, but many, many people hate the city with it's outrageous high crime, heat and humidity and not enough eateries in the mid-range.
We could eat in Chicago for $30 or even $25 for lunch 365 days a week, and never hit the same place twice. Does Houston have anything even close to that? No.
Your pitiful listing of your few restaurants for a city of what? 4 million people? Are you kidding?????
If you think Houston is a restaurant town, you need to visit Chicago or San Francisco.
Some of you on this Houston board need to get out of town more....and be less catty with your $5-6 dollar lunch suggestions.
Houston has great food. We just know we don't have to pay a lot for it. I'm born and raised in Houston, have enough money to go to nice restaurants but can always find great places for low prices. We didn't get named fattest city because we eat food that doesn't taste good. :P

We love our $5-6 meals! The crime is relative to any major city in the US and humidity keeps my throat from dryin up.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,540 times
Red face Texas is hot but no more so than Memphis,TN

I too, grew up in Memphis, Tn and also lived in Nashville. My husband and I recently moved to Texas. We were in SA in August in 90 degree weather in jeans! That would have been impossible back home in Memphis/Nashville. I never wore jeans if the temp was above 80 because they would stick to my legs. We currently live in Austin and love the weather. The humidity here seems mild and the air dry compared to the South. The weather in Texas is hot, but it could definitely be worse (visit Orlando, Atlanta, etc.)

Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM

75 posts, read 197,330 times
Default Humid wwaaaaayyyyyy to humid to live

I made the mistake of moving back here after living in Phoenix for 28 years.
Bad mistake now were are flying back to AZ in 2 weeks to look for another place in Tempe ....I cant take 115 and 3 percent humidity but this 94 and 75 percent is horrible

Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Default redwing1

I am a native Michigander and I've read a lot of comparisons of Houston's humidity with TN, NC, AZ, MS but I have not heard much about Houston vs. Tampa, FL. I am considering moving to either of these cities. Which is more humid? or is it comparing apples to apples?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 PM

331 posts, read 1,201,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing1 View Post
I am a native Michigander and I've read a lot of comparisons of Houston's humidity with TN, NC, AZ, MS but I have not heard much about Houston vs. Tampa, FL. I am considering moving to either of these cities. Which is more humid? or is it comparing apples to apples?
Apples to apples. Both cities are extremely humid.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,615,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Not everyone that responded negative is a transplant, I'm a native Texan lived here all my life.
Considering your handle, I'd have never guessed...

I know a lot of people who are from here who can't stand the summer weather but don't want to deal with ice/snow which you would in all but a few select other places (it's much more common in Dallas than Houston). So they deal with it. Most everyone else deals with it. The rest of them leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl08
We currently live in Austin and love the weather. The humidity here seems mild and the air dry compared to the South.
To be fair though, that's right on the line of where the South ends and the drier Southwest begins.

Austin can feel like Houston one day with lots of humidity and like Phoenix the next with dry but extreme heat.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,186,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing1 View Post

I suspect that the humidity levels are comparable. But Tampa gets more sea breeze than Houston and Texas gets hotter than Florida. Thus, the weather in Houston is probably more miserable overall.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,615,958 times
It was rather breezy in downtown today en route to the Astros game....felt good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston