Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times

Advertisements

People keep talking about Houston's humidity. I lived in Houston about 10 years ago and totally forgot about the humidity, until I went to Dallas last month and then, it was total dejavu. Now, I was in Houston about a year ago, and remember going to a restaurant and sitting outside, but it was extremely pleasant outside. Was it maybe during the winter? Please, explain how the humidity varies throughout the year. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Overall, it's humid because of the prevailing winds from the Gulf. I have no sources to back this up, but living here most of my life I'd say:

In the 7-ish non-summer months, a cold front with winds from the west and/or north will dry things up for awhile. If high pressure sits on us it can stay dry. Probably 50/50 on the humid/dry this time of year. When it doesn't rain it can feel like San Diego maybe 3 months of the year.

In the summer it can rain almost every day from storms off the Gulf. It is humid probably 67% of days and 90% of nights, and can shower/storm without much warning. (Storms are gentle compared to Dallas.) The 33% of the time it's not humid, it's 100 with about 30% humidity and SW (Mexican) winds. If you live around Clear Lake it's always humid -- we get all the heat of inland Houston and humidity of Galveston. You can really feel it out here. The Ellington Field base was reporting 117 degree heat indices out here in the peak of summer. At least this is what my weatherbug has been saying. since I moved here 3 years ago, I've been keeping track quite a bit on that.

Speaking of weatherbug, mine says it's 11pm, 80 degrees, 83% humidity, and 87 heat index. Pretty typical for the tail-end of summer, which truly runs May-October for us.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
What humidity? I haven't noticed it around here.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
I still don't get this humidity thing and why its such a bigger deal that just plain summer heat.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I still don't get this humidity thing and why its such a bigger deal that just plain summer heat.
The high humidity is what makes the air so sticky. If it was 79 here and 40% humidity it was a lot more bearable than it is now.

Currently in Houston, TX
Fog 79°F
Feels Like
82°F
Dew Point: 77°F
Humidity: 96%
Pressure: 30.00 inches
Wind: From the Northeast at 8 mph

Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Go buy a push mower and cut the grass on your 1/4 acre lot (mostly direct sun) when it's 88 with 70% humidity, and 88 with 30% humidity. Keep properly hydrated at all times!

Let me know the condition of your shirt in both instances when you're done.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Go buy a push mower and cut the grass on your 1/4 acre lot (mostly direct sun) when it's 88 with 70% humidity, and 88 with 30% humidity. Keep properly hydrated at all times!

Let me know the condition of your shirt in both instances when you're done.
maybe thats the difference, I dont sweat.
I have a electric push mower and actually mowed (the &$#@#$) lawn during my sick *wink* day. I cannot tell the difference between NJ and Houston hot days. well but thinking about it, my clothing or parts where I have clothes on feel a lot hotter than the parts exposed to direct sunlight. that maybe the humidity factor?

i have another question. what is killing my plants? i watered my japanese maples every morning but one day I came home and saw them burned to a crisp. they actually looked like they were nuked. doesnt humidity have some benefit? my regular canadian maple's leaves are slowly burning too.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
humidity brings in roaches/ mosquitos. Big problem in the south.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
maybe thats the difference, I dont sweat.
I have a electric push mower and actually mowed (the &$#@#$) lawn during my sick *wink* day. I cannot tell the difference between NJ and Houston hot days. well but thinking about it, my clothing or parts where I have clothes on feel a lot hotter than the parts exposed to direct sunlight. that maybe the humidity factor?

i have another question. what is killing my plants? i watered my japanese maples every morning but one day I came home and saw them burned to a crisp. they actually looked like they were nuked. doesnt humidity have some benefit? my regular canadian maple's leaves are slowly burning too.

It's probably the sheer heat that makes you feel hotter. I don't really know as I have nothing to compare it to, besides College Station, which is basically the same climate as here. I usually go shirtless cutting the grass anyway.

The killing of the plants... I really don't know much about maples. It's probably the seasonal change that happened a couple weeks ago. It could also be fungus. This is causing brown patches in the grass this time of year. Fung-away treatment works well for grass anyway.

Or maybe it's that Houston kudzu that infests things but disappears before you can see it?

Also another big problem in the south is people living in filthy household conditions due to the humidity causing mold to break out everywhere. Add that to an untrained pet, roaches, mosquitos, tobacco smoking/spitting, and the lack of effort in cleaning. You'd be surprised how some individuals live down here.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 PM

443 posts, read 1,793,319 times
The heat I can handle but the humidity sucks. Horrible about 9 months a year. Dec, Jan and Feb are the only tolerable months in Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston