Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the economy is still going strong. If you know someone in oil & gas that can get you a job, you've got it made for at least the next 5 years here.

If you're a 30-something, work here for a bit then get connected to an oil & gas job in Alberta, you may be able to move there and retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM

8,959 posts, read 11,833,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah, the economy is still going strong. If you know someone in oil & gas that can get you a job, you've got it made for at least the next 5 years here.

If you're a 30-something, work here for a bit then get connected to an oil & gas job in Alberta, you may be able to move there and retire.
What will happen after five years?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What will happen after five years?

My magic 8-ball says ask at another time. Really who knows anything? I say this because I can tell you firsthand there is no shortage of mega engineering projects in oil & gas for the next 5 years. Afterwards, it's anybody's guess. It could thrive, or we could have another 1987. The oil game DOES have a 20ish year cycle.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,321,687 times
Atlanta still reminds me of an old south city like Nashville or Memphis. Houston is just one of those places you love to be at. Houston looks like a real city with 3 or 4 skylines, good freeway system, and just more culturally sound that ATL. Dont get me wrong I like Atlanta and have family there but its feel like a small city then Houston or Dallas.
If it wasn't for the olympics we wouldn't have this thread.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:55 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,946 times
Atlanta basically bought the Olympics with bribes. The IOC, at the end of the Olympics, only said "Well done Atlanta". For every other city, they have said "the best Olympics yet".

Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 56,844 times
Sounds like you're jealous. Dont even talk about rednecks. You run into a dirty pick-up truck with a gun rack every second. Remember, half of metro-Atlanta population comes from NYC,LA,etc. So go figure. Why do so many people from all over the Country/World move to the ATL? Every year more and more comes. Houston is very nice. LA is very nice, ATL is very nice. Stop bit**ing and just enjoy life. The only place you will probaly find comfort will be ? Hell who knows. You will probaly bit*h about that too

Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 56,844 times
yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATL View Post
Sounds like you're jealous. Dont even talk about rednecks. You run into a dirty pick-up truck with a gun rack every second. Remember, half of metro-Atlanta population comes from NYC,LA,etc. So go figure. Why do so many people from all over the Country/World move to the ATL? Every year more and more comes. Houston is very nice. LA is very nice, ATL is very nice. Stop bit**ing and just enjoy life. The only place you will probaly find comfort will be ? Hell who knows. You will probaly bit*h about that too
I'm about to start b****ing if you don't stop reviving these old ass threads.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM
xty

21 posts, read 38,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Houston is not a bad place but walkable neighborhoods are few and far between, similar to Atlanta, maybe even worse in that regard as I would say that Midtown Atlanta and Buckhead are more walkable than Midtown and Uptown Houston. Public transportation is also better in Atlanta.

But, on the whole, they are very similar.
Public transportation better in Atlanta? really? are you talking about the Marta? Yeah I took that the Marta once from the airport to Brookhaven near where I live and the only way to my place was a cab.

I just went to Houston for the first time last week, came back 2 days ago, and I find Houston A LOT better than Atlanta. The cultural diversity, people from everywhere, I went by a Brazilian cafe, then korean restaurant... People from everywhere!
In Atlanta especially metro Atlanta is mainly africans americans, and nothing wrong with african americans but I'm the ONLY white person in my apartment complex, when I go to Wall-mart I feel like the only white too... It's a VERY high percentage of african americans, I can't even meet any white men here!

And another thing is people go around saying that in atlanta there are 22 women per man... Has anyone ever heard that? Men LOVE boasting about that in Atlanta, that they have so much to choose from blah blah...

Nah I'd say Houston is the way to go, more cultural diversity a bit of everything, laid back... WAY better...

Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
xty

21 posts, read 38,480 times
oh and another thing.. JOBS! Georgia is a way higher unemployment rate.. Not much work in Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston