Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 01:14 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,148 times

Advertisements

Notice how I said LIVING in those cities. I'm looking for the opinions of people who have actually lived in both and not just visited. I guess one big difference would be that Houston gets more rain and floods more but what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 01:25 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,244,286 times
Houston has better weather, outside of flooding and hurricanes. Gulf moderates in summer and winter. Property taxes a little lower in Dallas - no LIDs and MUDs incorporate into the cities. I like the Dallas suburbs much better, from a raising a family perspective. Much less hodgepodge of unincorporated areas and lack of zoning that Houston and Harris County have. In DFW, more developments happen in smaller satellite cities with local governments and services that focus on the needs of their citizens. Think a Sugar Land next to multiple Sugar Lands and Woodlands being its own incorporated city.

The good suburbs of DFW are much more like good suburbs in the rest of the USA.

But, the city of Houston has better cultural amenities and more diversity. DFW on average seems a bit cleaner and more upscale. Houston seems more gritty but it does have much more variety in food selection. Houston better for certain types of jobs too.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:38 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I like the Dallas suburbs much better, from a raising a family perspective.
I couldn't disagree with you more on this point. I really hate the Dallas suburbs (specifically Plano, Frisco and Rockwall). And I really love the Houston suburb that I've visited multiple times (The Woodlands). But I'll likely be living in the city and not a suburb and I don't have a family, so the suburb argument isn't that important to me.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:52 PM

9,913 posts, read 6,623,087 times
If you want to live somewhere very different from Dallas, I don’t think Houston is the right choice for you. They have their obvious differences but if you really want to get away from that Texas lifestyle, you’re going to have to go further.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:02 PM

219 posts, read 227,117 times
Quote:
Houston has better weather, outside of flooding and hurricanes. Gulf moderates in summer and winter. Property taxes a little lower in Dallas - no LIDs and MUDs incorporate into the cities. I like the Dallas suburbs much better, from a raising a family perspective. Much less hodgepodge of unincorporated areas and lack of zoning that Houston and Harris County have. In DFW, more developments happen in smaller satellite cities with local governments and services that focus on the needs of their citizens. Think a Sugar Land next to multiple Sugar Lands and Woodlands being its own incorporated city.

The good suburbs of DFW are much more like good suburbs in the rest of the USA.

But, the city of Houston has better cultural amenities and more diversity. DFW on average seems a bit cleaner and more upscale. Houston seems more gritty but it does have much more variety in food selection. Houston better for certain types of jobs too.

What makes Dallas’ equivalent of Sugar Land better than Sugar Land?

Old 07-17-2022, 02:14 PM

9,913 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
What makes Dallas’ equivalent of Sugar Land better than Sugar Land?
It’s not that it’s better. It’s that DFW has all of their best suburbs right next to each other creating a uniform, very long stretch of high quality suburb. The closest in Houston would be the area south of Katy. Even the Woodlands isn’t too far from lower quality areas. Not everyone necessarily likes it. I don’t really care. But for those that enjoy it, this is the benefit for them.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
I like New Orleans,the streets are lined with houses,not apt buildings,hop on a street car ,takes you downtown,cross the street and you are in the French Qtr.
They sell milk in the bar,and the local grocer will go to the back and fix you some dumplings.
I dont like crayfish.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:55 PM

313 posts, read 282,683 times
How old are you and what kind of info do you want specifically? A vibe or weather? Opinions or demographics?

Old 07-17-2022, 07:44 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,178,387 times
Quote:
Not sure everyone agrees with this. I think Dallas is a little more tolerable in summer, especially in the evenings.

But like someone else said, between Dallas and Houston, if you're miserable in one then you're unlikely to be happy in the other, barring special personal circumstances.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:44 PM

582 posts, read 306,998 times
I lived in Houston 32 years, last 27 in Energy corridor from 1983 thru 2010 in zip 77079. I moved to west Plano 75093 and live there now. Biggest difference is access to everything for daily living is better where I am now. It is very safe here as layers of nice areas mean I am 7 miles plus to marginal higher crime areas. Both zips art very diverse and schools great with an edge to Plano west. I prefer the weather in Plano as I like colder weather and the crisp fall and early spring days are nice. Winters are fine here but not a lot different other than colder a few times each year. Summers suck both places.

Another major difference is here my home is 150 ft higher than the nearest major water way. Flooding is not a risk here as it can be nearly anywhere in greater Houston. I am retired since 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston