Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 22,571 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20's film student/bartender. I'm born & raised in Chicago, I lived on the west coast for a few years and then decided Chicago suited me better and returned home. As of late I really feel its time for a change of environment (and a change in the pool, with a larger percentage of "good men"...LOL) I know I certainly need a break from the snow, so it will be somewhere warmer. As a film major Atlanta does appear to becoming a "hollywood south" kinda thing because of Tyler Perry building that studio down there and CNN being there. I have narrowed it down to two options. Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX. I am into spoken word/poetry sets, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, and art galleries. I want to know what the cultured, educated, but not snobby 30ish social scene is like in both cities? I'm trying to figure out which city would be a better choice. I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list. Cause that's a relationship problem I don't even wanna deal with! That being said I'm just looking for a city that can start out providing the break from Chicago that I need but that could also turn out to be an adopted city that I may never leave....

HELP ME YA'LL if you're from ATL or Houston let me know what its like down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
I can tell you one thing about Houston: it isn't necessary to ask for advice from solely African American people.

If that bothers you, then it sounds like Atlanta is your place.

Good luck, either way!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM

454 posts, read 1,585,667 times
I vote ATL. Have fun.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazipoet23 View Post
I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list.
Come on now, for someone looking for a cultured/educated scene you can't seriously believe this is much more common in ATL than any other major city, can you? There's not a major city in this country that doesn't have a "down low" subculture within their AA population. I'm not a fan of generalizations, but much like evangelicals (and republican senators), a majority of AA's have a very antiquated view of homo/bi-sexuality, resulting in the down low culture.

Of course I'm just a pasty white dude...

Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM

97 posts, read 260,449 times
You're really in the wrong place to ask this question. I suggest you find some black forums to help you but here's my two cents. None of my single lady friends in ATL have found men that are even slightly husband material. Relationship wise, since that seems to be important to you, I would go with Houston.

ATL was recently voted gayest city. Since I don't know if links are allowed here's an excerpt from the article. Peace!

While Georgia has only a few gay elected officials and no laws endorsing same-sex marriage, social and cultural metrics vaulted Atlanta to the top of the Advocate's list.
"Atlanta is undoubtedly our gayest city -- with 29 gay bars here, there’s a reason it’s dubbed Hotlanta," Albo wrote. "Atlanta guys are hunky, the ladies are gracious, the gay sports leagues are seriously well organized, and its housewives (and their gay BFFs, complete with handbags and heels) are now camp icons. And who doesn’t love the sweet lilt of a Georgia accent on a knockout guy or gal?"
Pennington, who moved from Cincinnati six months ago, said the contrast between his adopted home and his birthplace is stark.
"I love Cincinnati, but for gay people, there's no comparison," he said.

[mod edit- 10 posts to link off site]

Last edited by Oildog; 02-24-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,950 times
Personally I think ATL is over-hyped. I think more and more upwardly mobile blacks are seeing Dallas and Houston as alternatives to ATL. I wouldn't exclude ATL because it's high population of gay black men. It does however have a women to men ratio that's pretty high though. The unemployment rate is much higher there too. You'll be able to find similar cultural activities in Houston that you'll find there. Since you're a film major you may find more opportunities in your field in ATL then here though.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
I'm a late 20's film student/bartender. I'm born & raised in Chicago, I lived on the west coast for a few years and then decided Chicago suited me better and returned home. As of late I really feel its time for a change of environment (and a change in the pool, with a larger percentage of "good men"...LOL) I know I certainly need a break from the snow, so it will be somewhere warmer. As a film major Atlanta does appear to becoming a "hollywood south" kinda thing because of Tyler Perry building that studio down there and CNN being there. I have narrowed it down to two options. Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX. I am into spoken word/poetry sets, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, and art galleries. I want to know what the cultured, educated, but not snobby 30ish social scene is like in both cities? I'm trying to figure out which city would be a better choice. I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list. Cause that's a relationship problem I don't even wanna deal with! That being said I'm just looking for a city that can start out providing the break from Chicago that I need but that could also turn out to be an adopted city that I may never leave....

HELP ME YA'LL if you're from ATL or Houston let me know what its like down there?
Montrose, Houston is the place for you. Check it out man.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
interracial is the key to happiness

Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:

I would choose ATL in a heartbeat over Houston......JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberRays View Post
You're really in the wrong place to ask this question. I suggest you find some black forums to help you.
You're not kidding about that......all you have to do is check the response

Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:

Considering the fact your a film major and looking for a city with a strong African American culture; ATL seems to be the better decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston