Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 59,017 times

Advertisements

Sounds like I will have to try Marks! What good reviews! I was planning to take my husband to Striphouse Steakhouse for his birthday this weekend. I've heard good things about the food and the sexy atmosphere. Any reviews of Striphouse or recommendations on what to order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,676 times
I prefer Vic & Anthony's over the Striphouse as far as the steak goes. Stiphouse does have a better ambiance.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeinHouston View Post
Sounds like I will have to try Marks! What good reviews! I was planning to take my husband to Striphouse Steakhouse for his birthday this weekend. I've heard good things about the food and the sexy atmosphere. Any reviews of Striphouse or recommendations on what to order?

Striphouse is pretty darn good. I'm not a fan of strip steaks but they know how to make them. From what I rememeber it's a pretty classy atmosphere. My wife knew the manager or owner so she was eating there all the time when she worked downtown. She always raved.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM

381 posts, read 1,233,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
Given your parameters, although I'm not sure how many stars any of these places get, these qualify as fine dining (some better than others) in/near the Galleria:

In the Galleria area: Tony's, Capital Grille, Crapitto's, or Frank's Chop House.
Downtown: 17 or Chaviari
Museum District: La Colombe D'or

If I was in Houston for a day or two I know where I would eat, and it's outside of your request but well worth mentioning: Killen's Steak House in Pearland. The chef owner is Le Cordon Bleu trained and was on the short list once for executive chef at the White House. This place is nowhere near the Galleria, and it is in an old ice house (the Chef's family owned the business for years) in a semi-industrial area. But what's going on inside is one the best restaurants in the Houston area, and certainly the best steakhouse. I think you can easily place it on the list of best steakhouses in the country.

Elegant interior, service just a notch below excellent, fine wine list (only 200 to chose from but the selection was nicely done), and the food is done very, very well. Dry-aged, wet-aged and Kobi beef done as well as anyplace I've ever seen.

Must haves: Fried asparagus appetizer and Creme Brulee Bread Pudding for dessert (Food & Wine mag rated it as one of the top ten restaurant desserts in the country). And the creamed corn, don't forget that.
yum! i may have to venture out there.....

Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Trulucks. That's my favorite these days.

Lizzy, I love Brenners out this way. Incredible service and food. Kinda tucked away next to grungy areas. But that's Houston for you
Brennars always get great reviews, we've lived by it for 15 years but never think to go there! It looks so pretty tucked into all that lush landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Brennans should be reopening again very soon - I believe before Christmas.
Thanks, that's great to know!!!! Wonder if there's a way to sneak in there & book a reservation before the big crowds call in?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

236 posts, read 389,959 times
Wow, Im currently in NYC and I cant wait for my visit to Houston (before the big move :-) and you guys are making October seem so far away. Hope this post helped others as well. Cant wait to decide which one to go to.......

Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Hey Lizzy, have you ever been to Lynn's Steakhouse on Dairy Ashford? I keep forgetting about it, but it is really, really good. It was recommended to us and we headed over there for a romantic evening a few years ago. I had the filet, hubby had a strip, and we both enjoyed lobster bisque that was to die for. I have this list of places I want to go before we move--I better put them on there!!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
I was just taken to Lynns...I had driven by several times and thought it was some old place, but I was very impressed with their food and service. M2F you are right on the bisque.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM

27 posts, read 137,213 times
Go to America's on post oak, great delicious food, if you want upscale mexican food Hugo's on westheimer in montrose

Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
America's rocks, but fine dining? Not really...IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: