Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:24 PM

415 posts, read 803,222 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Sugar Land and ordered a TV from Best Buy. The only place that had it in stock is the Sharpstown location. I have heard that Sharpstown is dangerous and has a lot of crime. Is this true? Does anyone know about the shopping center that Best Buy is located in particular? I assume I will be fine, especially if I go during the day but I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,578,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
I recently moved to Sugar Land and ordered a TV from Best Buy. The only place that had it in stock is the Sharpstown location. I have heard that Sharpstown is dangerous and has a lot of crime. Is this true? Does anyone know about the shopping center that Best Buy is located in particular? I assume I will be fine, especially if I go during the day but I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Wow, you fit into Sugar Land perfect My wife, daughter and I go to that little strip mall all the time (she Mexican-American, me White) to save money. If you are not comfortable being surrounded by lower-middle class minorities, don't go. If you are street savvy and have lived in an urban environment before, there should be no worries. There are deals to be had in that area.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
No, you do not need to be worried about going there to pick up an appliance! I've picked up appliances from that location several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Wow, you fit into Sugar Land perfect My wife, daughter and I go to that little strip mall all the time (she Mexican-American, me White) to save money. If you are not comfortable being surrounded by lower-middle class minorities, don't go. If you are street savvy and have lived in an urban environment before, there should be no worries. There are deals to be had in that area.
Maybe he/she moved from another city where there are actually areas people would be advised to never go no matter what, who knows.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:10 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,170 times
Well, ya'll can make fun of me all you want but the last time my family left Sugar Land to pick up something at a Sears in Southwest Houston, we swore we would not do it again. It was definitely not a good area and my husband and I did not feel safe.

I don't know about the Best Buy in particular, though.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,575,986 times
The area has higher a bit of crime but during the day time it is rare. Too much foot traffic to really rob someone.

I actually live in sharps town. It is not as bad as you think, nor is it 100% safe.
Just be smart about it, don't go at night. Day time I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:15 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,586,840 times
The part right near Fondren & Beechnut has the high crime with the apts but overall is it a really good area close to everything

Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM

82 posts, read 557,818 times
Many many years ago, I actually camped out overnight (hey cut me some slack...young and dumb)at that Best Buy (technically it was directly across the street then, but whatever...same area) waiting for the release of the much ballyhooed Xbox 360. I survived! Now if you don't feel safe I would only suggest you go pick your TV up during the day and tell them that you need help putting it in your vehicle. Pull your car around to the front. This will provide lots of extra eyes which would likely deter even the boldest of criminals and another warm body that you can duck behind in the extremely unlikely event that something happens.

Edit: Oh yeah, and after you procure your TV, please come back and tell us how it went with details!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
Sharpstown and Greenspoint are two areas that I don't seek out when I do my shopping but if they had something there that could only be bought there I wouldn't hesitate to go.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 PM

232 posts, read 701,715 times
Yeah, sometimes when you are looking for things that sell out fast in Sugar Land, there is always the sharpstown BB. I have gone there to buy UPS boxes and laptops before. Agree, that I do not go at night.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,243,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Well, ya'll can make fun of me all you want but the last time my family left Sugar Land to pick up something at a Sears in Southwest Houston, we swore we would not do it again. It was definitely not a good area and my husband and I did not feel safe.

I don't know about the Best Buy in particular, though.
You have to trust your surroundings. Sharpstown really isn't a bad area ,just filled with lots of shady characters. I feel much safer there than the Galleria area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston