Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,382,577 times

Advertisements

I recall driving through there about 25 years ago and it was nice then; a friend was thinking about purchasing a home there, I wonder how much it would have been worth at this time. BTW, when were the photos taken? I don't see the signs of drought that exist today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,336,862 times
I grew up near Garden villas and learned to swim in the backyard pool of a house in the neighborhood. It and Glenbrook valley were such nice neighborhoods and it is great to see it starting to come back.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 AM

2,629 posts, read 8,880,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I recall driving through there about 25 years ago and it was nice then; a friend was thinking about purchasing a home there, I wonder how much it would have been worth at this time. BTW, when were the photos taken? I don't see the signs of drought that exist today.
Yesterday. I guess the big rain helped.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,852,791 times
The area looks ALRIGHT. It would look better if there were sidewalks and the lots looked more manicured? But half of those homes look very post-Ike.

And where are the gardens?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,852,791 times
And the trees look like they're trying to attack the homes

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM

124 posts, read 322,503 times
I grew up in Garden Villas on Cayton. It was definitely a unique experience that gave me a different perspective than alot of other people in my generation who grew up in the 'burbs. GV is almost rural, until a 737 flies 150' over your head and then you remember..."oh yeah I'm in Southeast houston". I actually went to the the elementary school you posted pictures of from 1990 to 1995...those were the days.

Great things about GV:

1. The Yards....amazingly huge.
2. The Pecans...all of the trees are huge and fruit bearing
3. The people...mostly post war oldtimers who tell you a story as you walk down the street..sadly this is becoming more rare. Lots of younger diverse couples with small children now moving in...which is great...but I miss the old folks.

I have seriously considered buying if I could find a house on Haywood, Sims, or maybe Alpine.

The are a couple of reasons my wife and I are buying our first house in Post Oak Manor rather than "the Villas"

1. My dad still lives there and I'd feel like I wasn't really leaving "home" and striking out on my own
2. My wife has become very fond of living near the ammenities of the Galleria / Bellaire/Meyerland area.
3. The age of the homes...most built during the 30's. Our house that we are buying in Post Oak Manor was built in '57, and I can tell the difference.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,853 times
Default Garden Villas

I live in Garden Villas and have for many years however, we are retiring to another state and will be selling our beautiful home very soon. It is hard to find such a neighborhood with very large yards with some of the homes on an acre or more. I love Garden Villas becuase of the old town charm and it's so centrally located to almost everything in the Houston metropolitan area. If you haven't had the chance to visit our neighborhood it is worth the time to do so.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
Loved Garden Villas! I also have to say the church was beautiful and my husband and I got married there. Last time i went around there, I have to say the area is not so nice anymore.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM

659 posts, read 1,385,098 times
Nice but too close to Hobby.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,812 times
I too grew up in Garden Villas, 1953 through about 1970, on Alpine street, near the dead end.
I attended GV Elementary, Hartman, Jones, and Ross Sterling.
And yes, I remember the great houses on Ashford, and the community center when it was first built. Heck, I even remember the civil defense horn going off every Friday at noon.

But now, GV is simply surrounded by depression and high-crime. Drive down Alpine now and most of the houses are dumps, maintained by trashy folks who could care less. Too bad.
Same thing happened to the nice houses on MacGregor Drive. And take a drive down Bellfort. Closed up shopping centers and vandalism. I'm not even sure I would risk Glenbrook Valley.

But hopefully it will come back someday....

Last edited by mcload; 09-19-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: